31.10.07 – By Matthew Hurley: Irish middleweight John Duddy will take on veteran contender Howard Eastman on December 8th at King’s Hall in Belfast Northern Ireland. Duddy, 22-0 with 17 KOs last fought on October 20th when he stopped Prince Arron in the second round. Eastman, 42-5 with 35 KOs last fought on September 28th dropping a unanimous decision and losing his British Commonwealth middleweight boxing title to Wayne Elcock.
Duddy had recently been mentioned as a possible opponent for middleweight Kelly Pavlick in January but that potential match up was delayed when Jermain Taylor invoked his rematch clause with Pavlik and the two rivals will square off in a rematch at the catch-weight of 166 pounds.
Duddy could barley contain his enthusiasm for the match with Eastman because it will take place in King’s Hall where the Irishman maintains a rabid following. “It doesn’t get much better than facing off against a fighter with Eastman’s reputation at King’s Hall,” he said. “I know he’s a very tough opponent with an amazing record. He’s a very dangerous man.”
At this stage in Eastman’s career that could be debatable. At thirty-six years old he has lost several of his last important fights in succession including two unanimous decision defeats at the hands of Bernard Hopkins and Arthur Abraham and a seventh round TKO loss to Edison Miranda.
Still, Duddy has not exactly faced world class competition and when he did step up against a far from prime Yori Boy Campas he found himself in a life and death struggle that he eventually won on a unanimous decision. Eastman, still a wily veteran, could answer a few more questions as to how far along Duddy has progressed since he turned professional in 2003.
“A win against Duddy and I am back on the road to another world title shot,” Eastman said. “That’s what this game is all about, a title shot. On December 8th I’ll beat this golden boy.”
Duddy, whose engaging personality has enhanced his popularity seems to be more focused on the venue than the man who will try to derail his own title shot bid. However, he does offer Eastman praise when ruminating on King’s Hall.
“When I was a kid I sat and watched Barry McGuigan at King’s Hall and they were such great nights. Now I have the chance to perform on that stage against a guy who has a lot of experience. I’m sure he’ll bring out the best in me.”
Should Duddy get past Eastman and should Kelly Pavlik repeat his victory over Jermain Taylor on January 26th at the Boardwalk Convention Hall in Atlantic City the two fighters could meet at Madison Square Garden in June, which has tentatively been set aside.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+ – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results