31.01.07 – Former British, Commonwealth, European and IBO lightweight champion Billy Schwer is backing Graham Earl to put Luton back on the map as a British boxing stronghold. Schwer, who like Earl hails from the Bedfordshire town, was its favourite son as he powered his way to a string of titles during the 1990s.. And now he says 28-year-old Earl, who challenges for the WBO interim lightweight title against dynamite punching Michael “The Thunder from Down Under” Katsidis on February 17 at Wembley Arena, will bring similar glory to the town.
” I’ll be watcing Graham’s fight with Katsidis, and I know that he will win,” said 37-year-old Schwer, who also challenged for IBF, WBC and WBU world titles.
” What he’s doing is fantastic for British boxing and fantastic for Luton as well.
” Whether it be football, boxing or tiddlywinks, I always want to see my home town do well, and I know Graham will go out there and do us proud. He’ll be bringing that title back to Luton.”
Schwer, who is now a motivational speaker following his retirement from the fight game in 2001, has always been a big fan of Earl, a former British and Commonwealth champion and European number one.
” Graham is so exciting and I always enjoy watching him box,” said Schwer. “I can’t remember the last time he was in a boring fight, and I’m sure it will be no different on February 17.
” The Aussie will be tough, but there’s so much on the line for Graham that he won’t take a backward step.”
Schwer left the sport with a 39-6 (30) record, having fought from 1990 until 2001. For more on him, visit www.billyschwer.com.
The February 17 show, titled England Expects, will be screened live on ITV1 and is headlined by Audley Harrison’s EU heavyweight title challenge against Michael Sprott. Amir Khan, Ross Minter, Eddie Corcoran, Derek Chisora, Grant Skehill, Tommy Saunders, Robin Deakin and Vinny Mitchell are all in action.
Tickets can be purchased from See Tickets on 0870 060 3794.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+ – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results