30.04.06 – By Vanessa McConnell: Golden Boy Promotions and Main Events are proud to present the rematch of the year. Fernando Vargas wants another chance to prove himself in the ring and take on once again, “Sugar Shane” Mosley July 15 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas broadcast live on HBO Pay-Per-View. “The first time they met, Mosley and Vargas fought with all their heart. Boxing fans appreciate the pride and passion of these two ring warriors, and can look forward to another all-out performance on July 15th”, said HBO Pay-Per-View’s Mark Taffet.
Golden Boy released a statement saying, “For Mosley, it’s a chance to once again turn back the challenge of this ferocious warrior; for Vargas, it is an opportunity to finish the job he feels he started earlier this year. Whatever way you look at it, this summer, Mosley and Vargas get to settle some unfinished business in a bout that only needs two words to describe it – “The Rematch”.”
Mosley is “thrilled to be fighting Fernando Vargas and once again proving” that he’s the “superior fighter. To me, there was no controversy about our first fight because one look at his face showed who the winner was. I stopped him once, and I’ll do it again,” stated Mosley in a recent release.
Vargas replied that he was “winning the fight with one eye.” He continued, “If I was him and I would’ve gone for broke. But he didn’t because he felt that wrath of what I carry in my right and left hands. A very few minor adjustments and I will knock him out this time. He knows I was winning. The world knows I was winning. I was winning with one eye open. Blind!”
“I was on the edge of my seat during the entire first fight between Mosley and Vargas, and when it was over I felt like I had just fought ten rounds,” laughed Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya. “It was one of those fights that was so good that you have to see it again, and all I can say is that I’m glad I’ve been in training camp these last couple of months, because I’m going to need to be in top shape to watch these two fighters go at it again.”
“We knew going into the first fight that this would be a battle for the ages,” said Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. “When you have two warriors like Mosley and Vargas, pride takes over and the fight that results is one you’ll never forget. Thankfully, the fans responded and demanded a second bout between these superb athletes, and we’re glad that we can give it to them.”
Main Events CEO Kathy Duva adds, “I believe Vargas was winning the fight prior to his freak eye injury. Had the injury not occurred we would have been looking at a very different outcome. We appreciate the fact that Shane has agreed to give Fernando a rematch and we are quite confident that the second fight will be as exciting as the first.”
“The first time they met, Mosley and Vargas fought with all their heart. Boxing fans appreciate the pride and passion of these two ring warriors, and can look forward to another all-out performance on July 15th”, said HBO Pay-Per-View’s Mark Taffet.
The 34 year old former lightweight, welterweight and junior middleweight champion “Sugar Shane” Mosley (42-4, 36 KO, 1 NC) will fight 28 year old former United States Olympian and two time junior middleweight world champion “Ferocious” Fernando Vargas (26-3, 22 KOs) July 15, 2006 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. Tickets are available from $100 to $800 at the MGM box office and various Ticketmaster locations, by calling (702) 474-4000 or logging on to www.mgmgrand.com. The Mosley vs. Vargas II will also be televised at 9pm EST/6pm PST on HBO Pay-Per-View for $49.95, also available in HD-TV. Log on to www.hbo.com for more information.