30.07.05 – By M. Glass: In front of a raucous hometown crowd at Robart’s Arena, China Smith upped his record to 29-2 with a unanimous decision against veteran trial horse Louis Monaco, 14-30-4. In spite of the scoring (98-91, 98-91, 97-92) Monaco managed to land enough telling blows to make Smith’s task difficult.. After a few dreary rounds punctuated by wrestling and sloppy boxing by both fighters, Smith began to find the range in rounds 5, 6 and 7.
Smith’s offensive attack left Monaco resorting to spitting his mouthpiece out as a blatant survival tactic at least five times. In round eight, things heated up further with some competitive exchanges that saw Smith using the same tactic of spitting his mouthpiece out to weather a three punch sequence from Monaco. Smith, 26, regained the upper hand in the ninth as the 37 year old Monaco began to fade badly. In the tenth and final round the southpaw Smith was hitting the 37 year old Monaco, with straight lefts and lead right hooks. Saving the best for last Smith cornered Monaco against the ropes and landed a dozen unanswered punches just before the final bell rang in time to spare Monaco a trip to the canvas.
It’s been a tough few weeks prior to the fight for Smith. He was called out by veteran Oliver McCall, then had his fringe championship belt (NBA) stripped when McCall was deemed his mandatory challenger by the NBA and Smith refused to defend his title. The local press had a field day over the sequence of events printing blistering attacks on Smith’s worthiness and commitment.
It’s possible that a recent visit by McCall to Sarasota in May had something to do with Smith’s reluctance. McCall, the former world champion looked very sharp while defeating Kelvin Hale in a 8 rounder staged at the Sarasota Kennel Club. Now McCall is left with the infamous TBA (to be announced) opponent for his next scheduled fight. Apparently Smith isn’t the only one that doesn’t want to answer McCall’s calls.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+, BoxNation, Premier Sports – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results