NEW YORK, NY (October 21, 2004) – It was announced today by ESPN Senior Vice President of Interactive Sales Matt Murphy and ESPN Senior Vice President of Programming John Wildhack, that Main Events CEO Kathy Duva has joined forces with ESPN to add a premier monthly boxing series within ESPN2 Friday Night Fights in 2005 and feature two pay-per-view events.
The partnership calls for world-class fighters in world-class bouts on ESPN2 Friday Night Fights. The highly-anticipated series will begin with a “special edition” on November 4 when boxing’s hottest young star, WBA lightweight champion Juan Diaz (25-0, 12 KO’s), defends his crown against WBA #1 ranked contender Julien Lorcy (56-3-2, 40 KO’s) in a 12-round main event bout from the SBC Center in San Antonio, TX.
“ESPN’s unique ability to cross-promote across our numerous multi-media platforms will benefit the entire boxing community, as well as our affiliates in their pay-per-view marketing efforts,” said ESPN’s Murphy.
ESPN’s Wildhack added, “We feel we can capitalize on the popularity of ESPN2 Friday Night Fights, whose ratings were up significantly this year, by getting into boxing pay-per-view at this time. Creating pay-per-view events and producing world-class bouts for our ESPN2 Friday Night Fights series allows us to better serve our viewers and help grow a new generation of boxers.”
Kathy Duva of Main Events said, “We are delighted with ESPN’s commitment to energize the sport of boxing. ESPN has influenced the popularity of other sports, and now it’s boxing’s turn.”
ESPN PAY PER VIEW
ESPN PPV includes ESPN Game Plan, a college football season package; ESPN Full Court, a college basketball season package; ESPN Fantasy Football Forecast; and pay-per-view events such as ESPN College Grand Slam, K-1 martial arts programs, and movies produced by ESPN Original Entertainment.
BOXING: MAIN EVENTS
Main Events, during the past 26 years, has promoted matches televised on all major broadcast and cable networks, as well as on pay-per-view. Boxers currently under contract to Main Events include WBA lightweight champion Juan Diaz, U.S. Silver Medalist and undefeated #1 ranked featherweight contender Ricardo “Rocky” Juarez, WBO-interim welterweight champion Kermit Cintron, and heavyweight contender Dominick Guinn.
Boxing has been a staple at ESPN, which televised its first card April 10, 1980, just seven months after the network launched. Throughout the past quarter century, some of boxing’s biggest names have appeared on ESPN and ESPN2, including Mike Tyson, George Foreman, Oscar De La Hoya, Alexis Arguello, Ray Mancini, Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, James Toney, Kostya Tszyu, Buddy McGirt and Hector Camacho.
ESPN Deportes will be a beneficiary and also an integral part of this new agreement, with fights appearing on the network.
ESPN International, through its networks and syndication, distributes ESPN2 Friday Night Fights to more than 127 million homes in 150 countries and territories around the world.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+, BoxNation, Premier Sports – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results