CANASTOTA, NY – MARCH 29, 2004 – The International Boxing Hall of Fame is eagerly anticipating the celebration of its landmark 15th anniversary. Many events are being planned to celebrate the landmark occasion, including the Annual Hall of Fame Induction Weekend, June 10-13th. Since the Hall of Fame opened in 1989, progress has been made in honoring the international sport of boxing. The first class of inductees was enshrined in 1990 and the first expansion to the Museum was completed in 1992. The Hall celebrated its 5th Anniversary in 1994 and its 10th Anniversary in 1999. In late 2002, ground was broken for the new Hall of Fame Events Pavilion, which was completed in the spring of 2003. The Hall’s collection of memorabilia and research material has grown immensely through the years and has helped entertain and educate boxing fans from around the world.
“With the 15th Anniversary upon us, it’s a great time to reflect on the strides made in ‘Boxing’s Hometown’ while still looking forward to the future,” said Hall of Fame Executive Director Edward Brophy. “We want to thank everyone in the boxing community who has played a part in the success of the Hall of Fame.”
The June 10-13th Hall of Fame Induction Weekend will feature over 20 exciting events including a banquet, parade, golf tournament, boxing autograph card show, cocktail party, and professional boxing show. New inductees to be honored are super featherweight champion Azumah Nelson, welterweight champion Carlos Palomino, light heavyweight champion Dwight Muhammad Qawi, super bantamweight champion Daniel Zaragoza, referee Stanley Christodoulou, promoter J Russell Peltz, and journalist W.C. Heinz. Posthumous inductees will also be honored.
According to Hall of Fame officials, nearly 200 volunteers are contributing their time and effort to make the 15th Annual Hall of Fame Weekend a success. Planning for the event began in November and everything is on schedule for a memorable and exciting Hall of Fame Weekend.
An impressive list of over 50 boxing greats from throughout the United States and abroad are scheduled to participate in weekend festivities. Among Hall of Fame alumni scheduled to attend include Ken Norton, Carmen Basilio, Arthur Mercante, Ruben Olivares, Angelo Dundee, Jose Torres and Aaron Pryor.
For more information on the Hall of Fame’s 15th Anniversary please call (315) 697-7095.
Latest Boxing News
- Canelo vs. Bivol = bigger than Plant fight says Vergil Ortiz
- Roach On Pacquiao: If There’s Another Fight After This, It’s Going To Be One Of The Best Guys Out There
- Jamel Herring and Shakur Stevenson reach a deal to avoid purse bid
- WBO orders Jamel Herring vs. Shakur Stevenson purse bid on August 9th
- Daniel Dubois Thrilled To Be Making His US Debut; Will Face Joe Cusumano In Cleveland
- Watch LIVE: Hunter vs Wilson, Algieri v Lespierre Free Stream at 7 pm ET
- Arum Making Plans For Fury In Case Joshua Loses To Usyk
- Lethally Poised, Sleek And Savage: Could Any Of Today’s Welterweights Have Lived With Thomas Hearns?
- Devin Haney wants Richard Commey or Jo Jo Diaz Jr next in Oct. or Nov.
- Xu Can expected to exercise rematch clause for Leigh Wood fight
- Ringside Coverage of Fox Sports from Prudential Center Newark, New Jersey
- 1966: The Year The World Witnessed The Greatest At His Greatest
- Anthony Joshua not an ‘elite heavyweight’ – says Bob Arum
- Daniel Dubois Vs. Trevor Bryan On Aug. 29?
- Two Huge Upsets In One Night: Jonnie Rice & Leigh Wood Remind Us Again How Special Boxing Can Be