Watch live this Saturday night on Sky Sports. Today’s official weigh-in results:
WBC Bridgerweight World Title Fight
Łukasz Rozański (100.8kg // 15st 12 lbs 3oz) vs Alen ‘The Savage’ Babic (95.6kg // 5st 13oz)
Heavyweight Bout (10 Rounds)
Martin Bakole (127.3kg // 20st 10oz) vs Igor Hulk Shevadzutskiy (125.6kg-19st 10 lbs 14 oz)
Heavyweight Bout (8 Rounds)
Jeamie TKV (117.7kg // 18st 7lbs 8oz) vs Michał Bołoz (101.2kg // 15st 13lbs 2oz)
Light-Heavyweight Bout (8 Rounds)
Steed Woodall (78.4kg // 12st 4lbs 13oz) vs Boris Crighton (77.3kg // 12st 2lbs 6oz)
Some 15 or so months after its inception, the bridgerweight division, brainchild of the WBC, has not really caught on with fight fans. The weight division – which exists in-between cruiserweight and heavyweight – already has a champion in recess.
Oscar Rivas, the first man to hold the WBC belt in the 200 to 224 pound weight class, suffered an detached retina and was, as per a WBC statement, unable to go ahead with his contracted fight with Lukasz Rozanski.
Never mind Rivas was more interested in fighting at heavyweight anyway, his January 14 fight with Efe Ajagba cancelled due to the eye injury. Now, as per a WBC statement, Alen Babic will fight Rozanski, with the vacant bridgerweight belt on the line.
WHAT TIME IS THE ROZANSKI VS. BABIC FIGHT?
- Date: Saturday, April 22
- Main card: 7 p.m. BST / 2 p.m. ET
- Main event ringwalks (approx): 11 p.m. BST / 6 p.m. ET
- Sky Sports will broadcast the fight in the UK
- The fight will take place at the G2A Arena, Rzeszow, Poland.
- The main card is set to get underway at 7 p.m. BST / 2 p.m. ET with the main event ringwalks scheduled for 11 p.m. BST / 6 p.m. ET.
So, who will become the second man to hold the WBC bridgerweight belt, Babic or Rozanski? Do you even care?
You should care about the upcoming fight between Babic, who is never in a bad fight, and Rozanski, who can punch himself, never having gone past four rounds, as it will be a slugfest for however long it lasts. Guaranteed.
Babic, unbeaten at 11-0(10) has become something of a cult favourite, “The Savage” as Croatian terror Babic is known thrilling fans with his 100-miles-an-hour approach. Last seen going to war with Adam Balski back in May, Babic has had his eye on the bridgerweight title for some time. Polish warrior Rozanski, four years older than Babic at 36, and currently unbeaten at 14-0(13) has not fought since he wiped out former WBC heavyweight title challenger Artur Szpilka in a round, also back in May of 2021.
The Babic-Rozanksi fight could be over with in something of a blur, or the two KO-hungry sluggers could find themselves engaged in a battle of attrition. One thing is sure though – this fight will not be boring. At all. But as far as whether or not the Babic-Rozanski fight helps the bridgerweight division gain additional appeal and interest as far as the paying fans are concerned, that’s a different story.
ROZANSKI VS. BABIC FIGHT CARD
- Lukasz Rozanski vs. Alen Babic; For the vacant WBC bridgerweight title
- Michal Cieslak vs. Dylan Bregeon; For the vacant European cruiserweight title
- Laura Grzyb vs. Maria Cecchi; Junior featherweight
- Caroline Dubois vs. TBA; Lightweight
- Martin Bakole vs Ihor Shevadzutskyi; Heavyweight
- Jeamie ‘TKV’ Tshikeva vs. TBA; Heavyweight