Cuban super featherweight sensation Rances “Kid Blast” Barthelemy will face dangerous spoiler Alejandro “Soma” Rodriguez (14-6, 7 KOs) of Guadalajara, Mexico, in the co-main event of Warriors Boxing Promotions’ “Miami Warfare II” event on Saturday, August 18, at the MACC at the Doubletree Hotel in Miami, Florida.
26-year-old Barthelemy, brother of Olympic medalist Yan and rated #8 in the world by the IBF, has been particularly impressive of late. He won a clear decision over then-undefeated and highly touted amateur Hylon Williams Jr. on national television and followed it up with a dominant performance against always-tough Robert Osiobe last May.
24-year-old Rodriguez, however, is no stranger to elite competition. “Soma”, as he is known, has been in with many of today’s hottest prospects and taken the 0’s of a few undefeated fighters. He will be looking to do it again against Barthelemy.
Miami Warfare II will also feature an exciting junior-welterweight main event between Miami, Florida’s (via Colombia) Breidis Prescott (25-4, 18 KOs) and well-known contender Francisco “Gato” Figueroa (20-4-1, 13 KOs) of Bronx, New York.
“We brought up the level of competition for Rances last year and he’s continued to impress,” said event promoter Leon Margules of Warriors Boxing. “More so than blasting out the opponents you face early in your career, these fights against solid veterans like Rodriguez are what determine if you belong among the best. And so far, Rances has given no indication he’s anything but a future world champion.”
Also scheduled for action that night will be a host of local and international prospects and contenders including super middleweight Roberto J. Acevedo 5-0 (3 KOs) of Bayamón, Puerto Rico, in a four-rounder vs. TBA; light heavyweight bomber Vilier Quinonez 3-0 (2 KOs) of Cienfuegos, Cuba, who will fight a six-rounder vs. TBA; undefeated light heavyweight Yunieski Gonzalez (8-0, 5 KOs) of Havana, Cuba, who will fight a six-rounder vs. TBA; and middleweight Leosvy Mayedo (2-0, 2 KOs) of Miami, who will fight a four-rounder vs. TBA.
Tickets are priced at $75 ringside/$30 general admission. A limited number of VIP tables are also available. Please call (954) 985-1155 or (786) 553-3895 to purchase tickets.
On fight night, doors open 6:30 and the action starts 7:30. The MACC at the Doubletree Hotel is located at 711 NW 72nd Avenue in Miami.
Tony Conquest vs. Ian Tims on September 7th
Following his first round demolition of former British Cruiserweight Champion Leon Williams earlier this month, Tony Conquest gets the chance to further elevate his impressive fledgling career by challenging Ian Tims for the vacant World Boxing Organization (WBO) European Cruiserweight championship at York Hall on Friday 7th September, as the feature contest on Queensberry Promotions’ latest BoxAcademy event.
Reigning Southern Area champion Conquest is harbouring British and subsequently world ambitions and if he can overcome Irishman Tims, in what’s sure to be an extremely tough learning fight, he will secure a WBO ranking along with the WBO European strap.
Francis Warren of Queensberry Promotions said “The WBO European Title is an option that we thought was worth exploring for this fight. We’re looking to really fast-track Tony and the chance of securing a WBO ranking that will come with the WBO European belt can get him that spring board to really kick-on through the ranks, which essentially is what the BoxAcademy format is all about.
“It’s a really good match up, Tony has made his intentions clear by blowing away Leon Williams in his last outing, whilst Ian Tims will come to fight and won his first 9 contests in a row before suffering his first loss in his last fight when he challenged for the EBU EU title.”
Also on the bill, 8-0 Erith prospect Lewis Pettit challenges Ian Bailey for the Southern Area Featherweight Championship. Pettit has definitely marked himself as one to watch with impressive performances in his first 8 contests, and will be looking to impress against Slough man Bailey and claim his first title.
Also in action are some of London’s hottest young prospects who are quickly gaining a wealth of experience in regular outings on the BoxAcademy bills. Charlie Hoy (2-0) looks to impress in a Super Flyweight contest, whilst Forest Hill Super Middleweight Darryll Williams(2-0) features in another 4 round contest.
Middleweight prospects John Dignum (1-0) and Tom Baker (2-0) also get the chance to impress, and Joey Taylor who scored an impressive stoppage win in his first outing last month, will be looking to put in another strong performance to his vocal group of Islington supporters.
Once again sponsors Rainham Steel will be providing a bonus of £1,000 to each of the fighters involved in the ‘Fight of the Night’. Both winner and loser of the contest will get the cash bonus in an innovative move that Queensberry are hoping will ensure the fans see their favourites in competitive contests.
Last time out the feature contest of the evening between Ashley Sexton and Paul Butler provided a barnstormer that electrified the atmosphere in a deafening York Hall. Butler prevailed on points but both men were deservedly handed their £1000 Fight of The Night Bonus in the ring by Rainham Steel chairman Bill Ives, as proceedings came to a close.
The action will be shown live and exclusive on BoxNation, Sky Ch. 437 and Virgin Ch. 546. Subscribe at www.boxnation.com
Latest Boxing News
- Alexander Povetkin Recovering From Covid, Back In “Light Training”
- Claressa Shields Signs Deal With PFL, Will Compete In MMA As A Lightweight
- So Now Who’s The Best Young And Unbeaten Heavyweight Prospect?
- Daniel Jacobs now a free agent, Matchroom contract over
- Daniel Dubois: “I’m Out Of Hospital, I’ll Be Back To Prove My Doubters Wrong”
- Saunders looking past Murray, targeting Canelo vs. Smith winner
- Foreman Thinks Tyson Can Become Champ Again If He Fights “The Right Champion,” Holmes And Atlas Disagree
- Are You Thirsty For More Mike Tyson Exhibition Bouts? Tyson Says “I’d Like To Have One Every Two Months
- Johnny Nelson: Daniel Dubois showed weakness in quitting
- Joe Joyce vs Usyk II: Who Wins?
From The Boxing Forums
- Tyson Fury on Dubois: 'Boxing is a heart sport'
- Hrgovic has said before that he wants a fight with the winner of Dubois vs Joyce.
- So, now Lennox wants to come back and face Bowe
- Did Tyson Surprise You?
- Would Conor McGregor have made a decent boxer?
- Jones vs Tyson 2003
- Wanheng Menayothin suffers first loss
- Could Dubois beat Chisora ???
- Deontay Wilder will be back "Between the first week of January and early February."
- *** Kirks Championships *** | 2020 Boxing Prediction League
Latest Boxing Results:
- Johnny Nelson: Daniel Dubois showed weakness in quitting
- Mike Tyson – Roy Jones Jr exhibition match ends in 8-round draw – Boxing Results
- Joe Joyce Too Good For Daniel Dubois, Scores 10th Round KO Win – Boxing Results
- Joyce forces Dubois to quit on a knee in the 10th
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr Back With A Win, Halts Minda In Four Rounds – Boxing Results
- Daniel Jacobs decisions Gabe Rosado – Boxing Results
- Tony Yoka Wins Wide Decision Over Christian Hammer – Boxing Results
- Jacobs vs. Rosado – live action
- Upset In Thailand As Wanheng Menayothin Loses For The First Time; Drops To 54-1!
- Eddie Hearn raves about Alen Babic and Fabio Wardley