Two division champion and current heavyweight contender Tomasz Adamek (46-2, 28 KO) is getting ready for his return to the ring which will take place on September 8th in Newark. The 35-years old Pole will face an American Travis Walker (39-7-1, 31 KO). The bout is scheduled for 12 rounds.
Although “The Freight Train” is a clear underdog, Adamek expects a tough fight from the tall and stocky-build opponent.
– Travis is a good opponent with a massive posture of real heavyweight and fighting him will be an excellent test for me. I expect a tough fight because I’ll need to plug away to knock such a giant out – Adamek said.
Andy Murray vs. Sergio Omar Priotti on August 17th
Cavan’s Andy Murray returns to action in County Mayo next month as he bids to return to winning ways following the first defeat of his 25 fight career last time out in a European Lightweight title challenge to Gavin Rees. Murray will look to rebound against Argentina’s Sergio Priotti at the Royal Theatre, Castlebar on Friday, August 17th on the card headlined by Henry Coyle’s defence of his WBF Light Middleweight title against Marcelo Rodriquez.
Castlebar has been a happy hunting ground for the 29-year-old in the past having beaten South American opposition there on his two previous bouts in the town and he’s looking to make it a hat trick next month. “I’ve always had good support in Castlebar so I’m looking forward to fighting there again,” said Murray. “I’ve watched Priotti in action and he comes to fight. He’s been in there with some good lads and he has plenty of experience so it should be a good fight.”
Murray admits that he will be looking forward to putting last years European title defeat behind him with a good performance in Castlebar. “I was very disappointed with my performance against Gavin Rees. I don’t want to take anything away from Rees as he’s a great champion but I started too slowly and I was always playing catch up after that. It was a great chance to win the European title but I threw it away so that hurt.”
Murray lost out on points to Rees and the Welsh dynamo has since gone on to stop the highly regarded Anthony Mezaache and Derry Matthew inside the distance in European title defences. The former WBA Light Welterweight World Champion looks to be on the verge of sealing another World title fight in the Autumn giving him an opportunity to become a two weight World Champion but Murray says he’s takes little comfort from pushing Rees close over the 12 rounds.
“There was never going to be too much in it at the finish but that wasn’t really any consolation,” revealed Murray. “I know myself that the fight was there for the taking on the night. Obviously he’s a very good champion but I didn’t perform to my best on the night so you have to try and learn from it and move on.
“I’m working hard in the gym and getting back in fighting shape so I’m enjoying it. I just want to get a good performance and a good win under my belt and then I’ll take it from there and see what’s next.”
Murray who splits his training between Cavan Boxing Club and John Breen’s pro gym in Belfast revealed that it will be a busy time for his old amateur club over the next few weeks. “The club’s just moved premises and there is a team going out from Cavan to the Ringside World Championships in Kansas this week. Obviously you have John Joe Nevin boxing in the Olympics as well so there’s a great buzz around the club at the minute.”
The Irish – Argentina double header between Coyle – Rodriquez and Murray – Priotti is part of an action packed card at the Royal Theatre, Castlebar on August 17th. Cork based Cuban Alexei Collado will also be out to impress as he aims to take a step closer to a world title challenge with his impressive undefeated record currently standing at 15 wins and all but one of those wins coming via stoppage.
The undercard will have plenty to interest local fight fans as well with an intriguing all Connaught middleweight clash between Galway’s Alan Donnellan and Roscommon’s Darren Cruise. At the age of 39 Sligo’s long time Irish amateur stalwart Stephen “Block” Reynolds is something of a late comer to the pro ranks but having enjoyed a debut win on Belfast at the weekend the heavy hitting cruiserweight is set for his second pro outing on the Castlebar card. Also in a local derby two Ballyhaunis boxers will punch for pay for the first time on the card – against each other welterweights Michael Waldron and Brandon Peake face each other on their professional debuts in an all Mayo affair.
Tickets for the August 17th event priced €40, €60 and €100 are available from the Royal Theatre Box Office on 0818 300 000, Ticketmaster.ie / 0818 719300 and the boxers on the bill.
For all the latest visit brianpeterspromotions.com or check us out on Facebook or Twitter.
Chazz McDowell vs. Manny Gonzalez on July 28th
NEW YORK, NY (July 23, 2012) Undefeated junior lightweight and Bronx native Manny Gonzalez will challenge Chazz McDowell of Yonkers in a cross-town showdown for the New York State Junior Lightweight Championship next Saturday night, July 28th at “ROCKIN FIGHTS 4” at The Paramount in Huntington, New York.
Advance tickets for “ROCKIN FIGHTS 4”, priced at $50 and $100, are available through Ticketmaster, (www.Ticketmaster.com, 800-745-3000) or through The Paramount Box Office, (631) 673-7300.
Special VIP/Red Carpet Seating along with advance tickets are also available by calling Star Boxing at (718) 823-2000 or on their websitewww.StarBoxing.com.
Known for his all-action bouts, hot Puerto Rican prospect Gonzalez has compiled a record of 10-0-0 with seven knockouts since turning pro in December 2008.
The 24-year-old former amateur standout is coming off a dominant victory over Jesus Bayron on February 10th at the Mohegan Sun Casino. Although cut under his right eye from an accidental head butt, the colorful and hard punching Gonzalez stormed to a unanimous decision impressing the huge crowd in attendance and ESPN Friday Night Fights viewers.
Said Joe DeGuardia, President of Star Boxing, “Manny has come along very nicely over his last few bouts and this bout against McDowell is a big step up for him but we truly believe one that he is ready for. He brings a terrific energy to the ring and fight fans at The Paramount are in for a real treat.”
McDowell, sporting a record of 6-1-0 (1KO), was also a standout amateur, winning the 2007 New York Golden Gloves and the 2005 Junior Olympics.
Known for his slick boxing skills McDowell won a six round decision over Yuriel Ramos on May 12th in Poughkeepsie, New York.
Speaking in between training sessions, Gonzalez declared himself “more than ready” for this opportunity, “I’ve had great sparring the last couple of weeks with Jose Nieves and Braulio Santos. I know Chazz very well and he has more speed and is more of a mover so it’s important that I use my power to slow him down.”
Born and raised in the Bronx, Gonzalez is very proud of his heritage, “I’m 100% Puerto Rican and I’ll have a lot of support at The Paramount. “
In the main event at “ROCKIN FIGHTS 4”, “The Fighting Pride of Huntington, New York”, undefeated junior welterweight prospect Chris Algieri, 14-0-0 (7KO’s), will battle tough Texas veteran Raul Tovar, 10-5-1 (4KO’s).
The Paramount is located at 370 New York Avenue, Huntington, New York, 11743. For directions and more information, please visit their website atwww.paramountny.com. Doors will open on the night of the event at 7pm with the first bell at 7:30pm.
Latest Boxing News
- Srisaket Sor Rungvisai Meets Kwanthai Sithmorseng on March 12, Live on DAZN
- Caleb Plant: I definitely see Canelo fight happening this year
- Leo vs. Fulton & Aleem vs. Pasillas: Showtime Showcase’s 122-pound Division
- 48 Years On And George Foreman’s Brutal Destruction Of Joe Frazier Is Still Frightening To Watch
- Chris Eubank Jr says Kell Brook would be “fun fight”
- Yildrim’s Manager Ahmet Oner Hyping Canelo Shot, Says Yildrim Is “A Golovkin-Style” Fighter
- Canelo Alvarez vs Avni Yildirim on Feb 27 in Miami
- “Zurdo” Ramirez targets Canelo Alvarez!
- Harold “The Shadow” Knight Joins Dillian Whyte’s Training Team Ahead Of Povetkin Return
- On This Day: Manny Pacquiao Gets Sweet Revenge Over Erik Morales
Next Boxing Events
- Leo vs Fulton – Showtime – Jan. 23
- Charr vs Bryan – DonKing.com – Jan. 29
- Plant vs Truax – FOX – Jan. 30
- Kovalev Vs Melikuziev ** Cancelled **
- Warrington vs Lara – DAZN, SKY – Feb. 13
- Diaz Vs Rakhimov – DAZN – Feb. 13
- Joe Smith Jr Vs Vlasov – ESPN – Feb. 13
- Avanesyan vs Kelly – DAZN, SKY – Feb. 20
- Berchelt Vs Valdez – ESPN – Feb. 20
- Mayweather Vs Logan Paul – Fanmio – Feb 20
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport – Feb. 27
- Parker Vs Fa – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Canelo vs Yildirim – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 6
Latest Boxing Results:
- Mykquan Williams beats Yeis Solano – Boxing Results
- Fight Night Results From Ghana: Quaye, Dorgbetor & Aduku Win
- Photos: Ryan Garcia destroys Campbell, captures interim WBA 135lb title
- Ryan Garcia KOs Campbell – Boxing Results
- Garcia vs Campbell Live Fight Night Results, Photos & Quotes From Dallas
- Kazuto Ioka Looks Sensational In Stopping Kosei Tanaka – A Japanese Super Fight With Naoya Inoue Next?
- After First-Round KO Loss To Montiel, Surely The End For James Kirkland
- David O. Morrell destroys Gavronski, James Kirkland with KO Loss – Boxing Results
- Canelo vs. Callum Smith post-fight analysis
- Ilunga Makabu Stops Olanrewaju Durodola In Slugfest – Boxing Results