By James Slater – WBA heavyweight champion David Haye was an excited ringside observer at last night’s thrilling Amir Khan-Marcos Maidana clash in Las Vegas, and “The Hayemaker” has admitted that the buzz he got from the mini-classic gave him the urge to put on a great fight of his own in Vegas – hopefully against Wladimir Klitschko.
It has been reported by The Guardian that Haye and manager Adam Booth met with HBO and Golden Boy over the weekend, and that the unification fight everyone wants to see is as close as it’s been in quite a while as a result..
The talks must have gone well, because Haye and Booth both spoke about being optimistic the fight will happen in Las Vegas, in April or May of next year.
“Fingers crossed, we’ll know something pretty soon,” Haye said. “From our side, we’re raring to go. I’m positive the fight will happen. As I’ve said before, I will retire next year, so this fight has to happen. It’s a fight the world wants. It’s the only fight the Klitschkos can have to cement their legacy.”
And Haye spoke about where the fight will most likely take place:
“Where? Wherever it makes the most money,” he said. “Watching Amir [Khan] here tonight definitely gave me a real buzz. I want some of this. I’d love to come out here and fight in a great arena and give everyone value for money. The talks have been very positive. I’m confident it’s going to happen.
“If Wladimir is as confident as I am, then it will happen.”
Most fans are of the opinion that “Dr. Steel Hammer” is certainly as confident of beating Haye as Haye is of defeating him. And although Wladimir would probably have to overcome legal issues if he chose to bypass Derek Chisora in favour of going in with Haye next, money usually talks in this sport (even though “Del Boy” has insisted he will NOT take step aside money to allow Klitschko to fight someone else).
As much as Chicora – who holds a contract signed by Klitschko for a defence against him – deserves his chance, the world wants to see Haye tackle Kitschko a whole lot more than it wants to see the 14-0 “novice” take his audacious shot. It’s not clear where an April or May clash between the two rival heavyweight champs would leave Chisora, but the bottom line is, all concerned want the big fight to take place.
If the talks over the weekend did go as well as Haye and Booth suggest they did, we might get to see whether or not the trash-talking Londoner can back up his boasts next spring. Finally!
Latest Boxing News
- Mikaela Mayer faces Ewa Brodnicka on Inoue vs. Moloney card on Oct.31
- Murat Gassiev Vs. Kevin Johnson On October 31?
- Dereck Chisora Says He’s “Stronger” Than Joshua, Fury, Whyte, Wilder
- Can Cruiserweight King Mairis Briedis Make It As A Heavyweight?
- Terence Crawford Turns 33 – At 36-0, “Bud” Still In Need Of His Defining Fight
- Kenny Norton: The Fighter Muhammad Ali Was Never Able To Master
- WBSS Champ Mairis Briedis returns to Latvia with the Ali Trophy
- “Irish” Micky Ward: One of boxing’s most beloved ring warriors
- Pablo Valdez keen on ring return, reflects on COVID’s effect on his career
- 40 Years Ago Today: Marvin Hagler’s Brutal Coronation
From The Boxing Forums
- Cruiserweight and Heavyweight thread.
- The Charlo Bros are the real deal
- Jermall Charlo vs Derevyanchenko (how did you score it)
- Lomachenko is getting up there in age
- Terence Crawford versus Josh Taylor at 147
- (BREAKING) Mikey Garcia Confirms Manny Pacquiao Fight Is Next...
- Seeing all the chaos of current HW division today..shows you how good Wlad was
- Most badass moments I've seen in boxing ring
- Tyson Fury would beat Mike Tyson
- Hrgovic or Dubois
Latest Boxing Results:
- And The Nastiest KO Of The Night Award Goes To ….Filip Hrgovic!
- Casimero Retains WBO Bantam Title With Quick Win Over Micah – Boxing Results
- Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario in 8th round – Boxing Results
- Photos: Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario; Jermall Charlo defeats Derevyanchenko
- Jermall Charlo decisions Derevyanchenko – Boxing Results
- Josh Taylor Destroys Khongsong In A Round With Brutal Body Shot -Boxing Results
- Mairis Briedis wins the Ali Trophy After Enthralling Final – Boxing Results
- Photos: Taylor Blows Out Khongsong in 1 Round
- Mario Cazares Stuns Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. – Boxing Results
- Bohachuk Wins In Mexico; Reyes stops Rodriguez – Boxing Results