by James Slater – So far in his nine-fight pro career, heavyweight prospect Tyson Fury has faced only fighters from Europe. This looks set to change at the end of the month, as the 21-year-old is to have two fights in America. Although no names have yet been given for Fury’s opponents on February 27th and March 12th, it’s a reasonable assumption Tyson will face American fighters..
As has been revealed on BoxRec.com’s news page, Fury, who was offered a chance to face Derek Chisora on Feb. 13th after Danny Williams pulled out, will instead box in Atlantic City at the end of this month and then in Las Vegas on March 12th. Exciting times, then, for Fury and his fans.
And though many of us would have liked to have seen Fury face Chisora (who is still searching for a Feb. 13th dance partner), Tyson’s new trainer, Brian Hughes, has made it clear he is in no way reluctant to fight the unbeaten boxer known as “Del Boy.”
“He’d fight this kid [Chisora] tomorrow if he had his way but Tyson is committed to two fights in America,” Hughes said of the Chisora situation. “Mick Hennessey has lined him up two fights, one in Atlantic City and another in Vegas.”
On the February 27th date in Atlantic City, a card takes place that is to be headlined by the returning Kendall Holt (against Kaizer Mabuza), maybe this is the card Fury will fight on? Whilst so far, BoxRec have nothing taking place on March 12th in Vegas, so we don’t yet know which bill the unbeaten giant will appear on in “Sin City.” But it will be interesting to see how Fury goes down with the American fans. Unlikely to be put in with anyone too tough, naturally, Fury may well box a recognisable name all the same.
Going to the States proved to be a good move for a number of up-and-coming British fighters in past years; Chris Eubank, for example, who gained invaluable experience from having a number of his early fights in Atlantic City. Fury, if he’s matched well, can only benefit also.
As far as his BBB of C-ordered return fight with John McDermott goes, this fight will almost certainly happen after Fury has returned home from his U.S adventure. The British Board last week proposed how the rematch would be a final eliminator for the British heavyweight title, and that the rematch must take place before the end of April.
“Tyson wants to wipe the slate clean with McDermott,” Hughes said. “He fought the wrong fight last time but he’ll win the rematch convincingly.”
Not having fought since September, the 21-year-old who is 9-0(7) is probably hugely excited at the thought of getting back into the ring. We all want to see how new trainer Hughes has improved the man who struggled so badly against McDermott over four months ago, and we will now most likely get to find out as Fury makes his American debut.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+ – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results