by James Slater – Former WBC light-welterweight champion Junior Witter was a phone-in guest today on The Steve Bunce Boxing Hour on Setanta Sports, and “The Hitter” spoke about his upcoming clash with the unbeaten Devon Alexander. The 35-year-old former champ also gave his opinion of what would happen if he were to meet Amir Khan in an all-British showdown in the future. Such a fight is a possibility; if Witter can beat Alexander to reclaim the currently vacant WBC 140-pound crown, and if Khan can beat Andriy Kotelnik to take the WBA strap. Witter says he thinks Kotelnik will beat Khan in June, and that the fight isn’t all that likely. However, if Khan beats Kotelnik he would certainly take the fight..
First though, the switch-hitter must travel to The States and defeat 22-year-old Alexander – no easy feat at all.
Witter was asked how his training has been going for the July 11th bout.
“It’s going okay, as usual,” Witter said. “I’ve stayed in Sheffield to train for the fight. I’m relieved this fight has come off. I look and I think about all the things I’ve had that almost happened, almost happened, and I’m happy this fight happened.”
Witter said he is not too concerned about having to travel to Florida for the fight.
“Travelling is never the best of things, but I travel well,” Witter said. “I can perform well away. There’s a little bit of pressure on me and it makes me have to up my game, because you’ve got to win well abroad.”
Hugely self assured as he is, Witter obviously believes he will regain the world title he lost to Timothy Bradley when he gets in there with southpaw Alexander. But what about the possibility of a big UK showdown against Khan?
“Amir Khan’s not really on my radar,” Witter said. “If he wins the title [against Kotelnik] he becomes on my radar. Realistically, it’s a fight that can be made, and if he wins, perfect, I’ll look at it. I’d expect to knock him out within three rounds.”
Khan would certainly disagree strongly with such a prediction, but will the fans? Though he did well in beating a faded Marco Antonio Barrera last time out, Khan has yet to fully exorcise the demons and the memories of his 1st round destruction at the hands of Bredis Prescott last September. A win – an upset win in the opinion of Witter – over Kotlenik would take Khan a long way, but if a few weeks later Witter manages to win the WBC light-welter crown he would likely enter the talked-about unification bout as the favourite.
It’s still early days, of course; and neither guy has won yet. But a Khan-Witter clash would be a fight that would have all of Britain talking!
Latest Boxing News
- Inoue vs Moloney Final Presser Quotes And Photos
- Usyk vs Chisora Final Presser Quotes And Photos
- Davis Vs. Santa Cruz Final Presser Quotes And Photos
- Barrera vs Morales IV? Yet Another Exhibition Between Two Legends In The Works
- Dave Allen-Christopher Lovejoy Fight In Jeopardy As Don King Steps In
- On This Day 60 Years Ago: Clay Vs. Hunsaker And The Birth Of A Legend
- Deontay Wilder Posts Rare Twitter Message, But It’s Nothing To Do With His Own Career
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr LIVE on BT Sport Box Office (UK) & FITE TV (USA) on Nov. 28th
- Watch LIVE: Jaime Munguia vs Tureano Johnson Weigh In Livestream
- Watch LIVE: Naoya Inoue – Jason Moloney Final Presser Livestream
From The Boxing Forums
- Best Juanma fights?
- CES Boxing/UFC FightPass: Toka Kahn-Clary vs. Jonathan De Jusús Pérez Morillo II RBR
- Australian Boxing/SM Memorial thread
- Elwin Soto Castro vs. Carlos Alberto Buitrago Rojas
- HTF Did Dmitry Bivol Survive This Nuke From Joe Smith Jr.???
- Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones jr. Who do you WANT to win?
- Any Tank Davis fight at 130 has big upset potential
- Does Santa Cruz stand any real chance against Davis?
- Dave Allen vs Christopher Lovejoy...? What a joke..
- **Julio Cesar Chavez says he'd whoop Lopez and Loma the same night**
Latest Boxing Results:
- Photos: Lipinets and unbeaten Clayton fight to 12 round majority draw
- Juan Francisco Estrada TKOs Carlos Cuadras – Boxing Results
- Estrada defeats Cuadras; Chocolatito and Martinez both win
- Teofimo Lopez dominates Vasily Lomachenko, Arum furious at judge
- Photos: Lopez Jr. upsets Lomachenko, Edgar Berlanga Goes 15 for 15
- Teofimo Lopez beats Vasily Lomachenko – Boxing Results
- Michael McKinson and Jay Harris both win – Boxing results
- Lewis Ritson defeats Vazquez – Boxing Results
- Robin Krasniqi upsets Bösel, Peter Kadiru defeats Gorst – Boxing Results
- KO Wins In Canada For David Lemieux and Arslanbek Makhmudov