PROVIDENCE (February 21, 2008) – World super middleweight challenger “The Pride of Providence” Peter Manfredo, Jr. returns to the ring March 14, headlining “Rumble at the River,” against Shane “The Irish Hitman” Benfield, in an Italian-Irish themed pro boxing show at Twin River Events Center in Lincoln, Rhode Island..
“Rumble at the River,” part of “The Budweiser Night at the Fights” series at Twin River, is promoted by Jimmy Burchfield’s Classic Entertainment and Sports, Inc., in association with Twin River, Budweiser and Tournament of Contenders.
Manfredo (28-5, 13 KOs), star of The Contender I television reality series, fights Benfield (17-1, 9 KOs) in the 10-round main event. Coming off of a 10-round loss by decision to former world champion Jeff Lacy on the Mayweather-Hatton pay-per-view card, Peter hopes to rebound against Benfield, who dropped a 12-round decision in his last action to DeAndrey Abron for the NABO belt that Manfredo once held.
IWBF lightweight champion Jaime “The Hurricane” Clampitt (18-4-1, 7 KOs), fighting out of Cranston (RI) defends her crown against battle-tested Belinda “Brown Sugar” Larcuente (23-20-3, 9 KOs), the GBU junior welterweight title-holder from New York City, in the 10-round co-feature. Clampitt is a 3-time world champion, while 20 of Larcuente’s last 21 bouts, dating back nearly five years, have been against world champions.
“St. Joseph’s (March 19) is a very important Italian holiday as St. Patrick’s Day (Mar. 17) is for the Irish,” promoter Jimmy Burchfield said. “We decided to promote an Italian-Irish themed show on the preceding weekend of the two holidays. We’re happy and excited about this concept and plan to make it an annual event at Twin River. Even though we have a lot of Italian and Irish fighters on this card, some matched against each other, we’ll also have a few other ethnic groups represented and it’ll all add up to a great night of boxing.”
In the chief supporting bout on the undercard, Stoughton (MA) cruiserweight Chris McInerney (9-1-1, 6 KOs) faces former New England title-holder Tim “The Hammer” Flamos (19-4-1, 7 KOs), of Brockton, in a six-round bout of a rematch McInerney won by sixth round TKO last December.
Unbeaten Russian middleweight Andre Nevsky (3-0, 3 KOs), of Worcester (MA), meets his toughest test to date in a four-round bout versus Eric Pinarreta (2-1, 2 KOs), of New Bedford (MA). USBA No. 4 super middleweight Joey “KO Kid” Spina (20-1-1, 15 KOs), of Providence; light heavyweight “Irish” Joey McCreedy (6-1, 4 KOs), of Lowell (MA); unbeaten Lynn (MA) flyweight Isander Beauchamp (3-0) and Providence junior welterweight Diego Pereira making his pro debut are also on the card against opponents to be determined. All fights and fighters are subject to change.
Manfredo, Spina, Flamos and Pinarreta are on Team Italy; Benfield, Clampitt, McInerney and McCreedy comprise Team Ireland.
Tickets for “Rumble at the River” are priced at $35.00 (ADA stage seating only), $40.00, $50.00, (Bronze), $75.00 (Silver), $100.00 (Gold) and $150.00 (Jimmy’s Platinum Club) and may be purchased by calling CES (401.724.2253/2254), going on line at www.cesboxing.com or www.twinriver.com, at the Twin River Event Center (100 Twin River Road, Lincoln, RI), or any TicketMaster location. Contact CES (401.724.2253/2254/www.cesboxing.com) or Twin River Events Center (877.82.RIVER/ www.twinriver.com) for more information. Doors open at 6 PM/ET, first bout at 7 PM/ET.
(Twin River has waived its 18+ rule for “Rumble at the River.” Anybody under the age of 18 must be accompanied at all times by an adult and they must enter through the West entrance.)
PRESS CONFERENCE QUOTES
Peter Manfredo Jr.: “I would like to apologize to all my fans for my performance against Jeff Lacy. I’m very focused for this fight. I had a bad 2007 but everything happens for a reason. I have the desire to fight again. I’m doing this for me, my family, my friends and my hometown. Shane better bring his A game. I would also like to wish Matt Godfrey best of luck in Germany. (Godfrey fights Rudy Kraj in a WBC cruiserweight title elimination bout on March 8.) I feel it’s his time.”
Shane Benfield: (by phone) “I’m ‘The Hitman’ and Peter should know that. I will make sure everyone in Providence knows they call me ‘The Hitman.’ Vinny Paz is a good friend of mine and I will make him proud. I’m excited to fight and I’m coming to fight. Peter is a big star from The Contender and I can’t wait to beat him.”
Jaime Clampitt: “I’m so excited to finally fight here at Twin River. I was supposed to fight here a few times but the fights fell through. I’m finally getting my chance and I will make the best of it. Jimmy Burchfield is like a father to me and he has stuck behind me through everything and I want to thank him for that. My opponent (Belinda) is very tough and very slick, but I look forward to breaking her down and getting a huge win on my record.”
Joey Spina: “I try to knock everyone out and the 14th will be no different. I’ve been sparring a lot
and looking good. I can’t wait to get back in the ring.”
Chris McInerney: “It was a good fight last time. He wants a rematch, so I will give it to him. I’m happy and excited to be fighting for CES and this is a great card to be on. I hope to see everyone at the fights.”
Joey McCreedy: “This is a great card with Peter and Jaime on top. I’m honored to be on it. I’m coming off a great win where I showed heart and determination. I will do the same thing on this card. I’ve been training hard and it will show.”
Andre Nevsky: “I’m very excited. I’m going to have a big knockout.”
Eric Pinarreta: “I want to thank Team Nevsky for taking the fight. He’s a good fighter but I’m going to beat him. I will see everyone at The River.”
Isander Beauchamp: “I’m very happy to be fighting for CES and I can’t wait to knock someone out. Please come to see me on the 14th. You won’t be disappointed.”
Diego Pereira: “This is my pro debut and it’s going to be huge. I’m for real and I’m here to stay.”
Latest Boxing News
- Teofimo Lopez On Lomachenko Fight: “There Ain’t No Rematch Clause. I Know Why”
- The Tragic Pintor Vs. Owen Fight – The World Should Never Forget Johnny Owen; Lupe Pintor Never Will
- Ten Years Ago: When A Young Canelo Alvarez Scored A One-Punch KO Win Over The Iron-Chinned Carlos Baldomir
- Pedraza – Molina and Efe Ajagba – Rice LIVE on ESPN+ on Saturday
- Erickson “Hammer” Lubin vs. Terrell Gausha Presser quotes
- Marciano Vs. Charles II – When “The Cincinnati Cobra” Almost Won By A Nose
- Is It A Joke, Or Will Floyd Mayweather Really Fight Logan Paul?
- Angel Manfredy Looks Back: I Heard A Voice And I Knew I’d Never Fight Again
- Fury-Wilder III – “You Will See A Completely Different Deontay,” Says Wilder Protégé Raphael Akpejiori
- Anthony Joshua Will Fight Kubrat Pulev This Year – “Fans Or No Fans”
From The Boxing Forums
- Adrien "The Problem" Broner
- Jaime Munguia vs Tureano Johnson in October
- Your hipster boxing opinions?
- Tommy Hearns at MW had bigger arms than Ali
- Has Canelo ever defeated the #1 in any division without controversy?
- Canelo vs Yildirim purse bid on September 21st
- Teofimo Lopez: There's No Rematch Clause In Contracts For Lomachenko Fight
- Rate Pacquiao's chin.
- Búfalo Boxing Promotions: Alexander Enrique Espinoza Rivera vs. Arón David Juárez Morales III RBR
- Where is Wilder these days genuinely?
Latest Boxing Results:
- Erickson Lubin vs. Terrell Gausha: Perfectly Punch or Weak Chin?
- Photos: Kavaliauskas KOs Zewski & Gonzalez defeats Marriaga
- Anthony Yarde Stops Dec Spelman In Six – Boxing Results
- Egidijus Kavaliauskas beats Mikael Zewski – Boxing Results
- Fedor Chudinov Wins In Russia, Danny Williams Is Stopped, Again – Boxing Results
- Yordenis Ugas: A Fighter The Judges Just Don’t Seem To Like
- Fight Report: Bendana Stops Beattie – Let Battle Commence II Boxing Results
- Saul Bustos defeats Luis Lopez – Boxing Results
- Photos: Ugas edges Ramos to win WBA welterweight title
- Yordenis Ugas decisions Abel Ramos – Boxing Results