A big weekend in British boxing is fast approaching, starting with Rendall Munroe’s attempt to snatch the European super bantamweight title from hard punching Spaniard Kiko Martinez at the Harvey Hadden Leisure Centre in Nottingham on Friday, March 7. Munroe knows this is the biggest fight of his career to date and has taken two and a half weeks off from work to concentrate on his final preparation.. Munroe, who failed to win the British title at featherweight, is counting on that big fight experience will help him through this European title challenge.
“Opportunities like this come along once in lifetime,” said Munroe. “I intend to grab it with both hands and not let any of my fans down. I want to add to the success of Leicester boxing, like Tony Sibson and Chris Pyatt did.”
Supporting the European title fight is a stablemate of Munroe’s, Scott Haywood, who is also looking to step into championship contendership. The 26 year old must put on a first class performance against the evergreen Gary Reid if Haywood is to realize that ambition.
Haywood, who has appeared on quite a few Frank Maloney promotions, and also took talented lightweight John Fewkes the distance during a one point loss, knows that a win over Reid could open up an opportunity for a Commonwealth title challenge against Ajose Olusegun at light welterweight or even step back down to lightweight and challenge at the 135 pound limit.
It will be a busy weekend for Maloney, who promotes the Munroe vs. Martinez show in Nottingham on a Friday, but will then need to be back in London the next day, Saturday, March 8, to watch his fighters WBC/WBA cruiserweight champion David Haye and British super featherweight champion Carl Johanneson in action at the 02 Arena. The promoter has been working with Johanneson in training camp and helping to prepare him with trainer Martin Williams.
Maloney will be looking for a 2 – nil victory over rival promoter Frank Warren with both his men, Johanneson and Haye, looking to make it a great Easter for Frank Maloney Promotions.
Frank Maloney Promotions presents “The Bull vs. The Matador”, Rendall Munroe vs. European super bantamweight champion Kiko Martinez, at Nottingham’s Harvey Hadden Leisure Centre on Friday, March 7, 2008. Tickets are priced at £75 and £35 and are available by logging onto www.frankmaloney.com or by calling the Box Office at 0871 226 1508. For any further press information please call 0208 467 7647.
Sky Sports will televise live on SS2 starting at 9:30PM.
Frank Maloney Promotions also announces “Northern Rock”, the first title defense by British super flyweight champion Chris Edwards, who faces Doncaster’s English champion Andy Bell at the Metrodome in Barnsley, England on Friday, March 28, 2008.
On Friday, April 18, 2008, Frank Maloney Promotions return to London when British light middle champion Gary Woolcombe faces the challenge of former titleholder Ryan Rhodes at historic York Hall on “Divine Retribution”. Also featured will be John McDermott and Pele Reid, who will argue the vacant English heavyweight title.
Tickets to these shows can be purchased by calling the Box Office 0871 226 1508 or by logging onto www.frankmaloney.com
Latest Boxing News
- Teofimo Lopez On Lomachenko Fight: “There Ain’t No Rematch Clause. I Know Why”
- The Tragic Pintor Vs. Owen Fight – The World Should Never Forget Johnny Owen; Lupe Pintor Never Will
- Ten Years Ago: When A Young Canelo Alvarez Scored A One-Punch KO Win Over The Iron-Chinned Carlos Baldomir
- Pedraza – Molina and Efe Ajagba – Rice LIVE on ESPN+ on Saturday
- Erickson “Hammer” Lubin vs. Terrell Gausha Presser quotes
- Marciano Vs. Charles II – When “The Cincinnati Cobra” Almost Won By A Nose
- Is It A Joke, Or Will Floyd Mayweather Really Fight Logan Paul?
- Angel Manfredy Looks Back: I Heard A Voice And I Knew I’d Never Fight Again
- Fury-Wilder III – “You Will See A Completely Different Deontay,” Says Wilder Protégé Raphael Akpejiori
- Anthony Joshua Will Fight Kubrat Pulev This Year – “Fans Or No Fans”
From The Boxing Forums
- Jaime Munguia vs Tureano Johnson in October
- Has Canelo ever defeated the #1 in any division without controversy?
- Canelo vs Yildirim purse bid on September 21st
- Teofimo Lopez: There's No Rematch Clause In Contracts For Lomachenko Fight
- Rate Pacquiao's chin.
- Your hipster boxing opinions?
- Búfalo Boxing Promotions: Alexander Enrique Espinoza Rivera vs. Arón David Juárez Morales III RBR
- Where is Wilder these days genuinely?
- What's the Justification of Two minute Rounds in Women Boxing
- *** Kirks Championships *** | 2020 Boxing Prediction League
Latest Boxing Results:
- Erickson Lubin vs. Terrell Gausha: Perfectly Punch or Weak Chin?
- Photos: Kavaliauskas KOs Zewski & Gonzalez defeats Marriaga
- Anthony Yarde Stops Dec Spelman In Six – Boxing Results
- Egidijus Kavaliauskas beats Mikael Zewski – Boxing Results
- Fedor Chudinov Wins In Russia, Danny Williams Is Stopped, Again – Boxing Results
- Yordenis Ugas: A Fighter The Judges Just Don’t Seem To Like
- Fight Report: Bendana Stops Beattie – Let Battle Commence II Boxing Results
- Saul Bustos defeats Luis Lopez – Boxing Results
- Photos: Ugas edges Ramos to win WBA welterweight title
- Yordenis Ugas decisions Abel Ramos – Boxing Results