31.05.05 – Lee Meager will meet Liverpool’s David Burke in a sensational eliminator for the British lightweight title in the chief support contest on the Hennessy Sports ‘Trailblazers’ bill on Saturday July 9th at the Nottingham Arena. It will be the Salford man’s first outing since, according to most ringsiders, he comprehensively beat Danny Hunt for the English Title last November, but did not get the referee’s decision.
“Everyone knows I beat Hunt,” said Meager. “But I am not dwelling on that. It is all in the past now; I have bigger fish to fry.
“Whilst the Board of Control did not uphold my promoter Hennessy Sports protest about that decision, they put me forward for this British title eliminator and I am happy with that.
“It means that I am potentially only one fight away from challenging for the Lonsdale, a belt every British boxer wants to win.”
The 27-year-old, however, has significant obstacles to overcome.
“Burke is a class act,” he admitted. “He is a former Commonwealth champion and holds a win over Colin Dunne.
“He also only went down on points when he challenged Stefano Zoff for the European.
“But I know that now I have got my act together, I am the best lightweight in Britain.
“Under my trainer Robert McCracken I have improved beyond all recognition over the last eighteen months as my performances have demonstrated.
“Once I have dealt with Burke, I will deal with the British champion, whether that be Graham Earl or Kevin Bennett.”
‘Trailblazers’ is co-headlined by Carl Froch in a mandatory defence of his British title against Southampton’s Matthew Barney and Junior Witter in a mandatory defence of his European title against Ukrainian Andreas Kotelnik.
The outstanding undercard also features Commonwealth games gold medallist Darren Barker, former ABA champion Lenny Daws, rising super featherweight Billy Corcoran, Junior Olympic Gold Medallist John O’Donnell and exceptional talent Kell Brook, who takes on Bermondsey’s Peter McDonagh over eight rounds.
“This is a sensational show, filled with quality operators from top to bottom,” said promoter Mick Hennessy.
“It is being topped by the two leading lights in this country, Carl Froch and Junior Witter, and supported by the best young talent, bar none.”
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+ – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results