A music video tribute to Larry Holmes

https://youtu.be/OQfZsfuJJEk

During his Hall of Fame career, Larry Holmes was like the Rodney Dangerfield of boxing – he got no respect. In recent years Holmes has finally started getting some of the much deserved respect for his amazing career and accomplishments. Holmes’ long reign had the unfortunate distinction of falling in between two of the most beloved heavyweight champions in boxing history – Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson. While Ali and Tyson were high profile controversial figures during the peaks of their respective careers, Holmes quietly carved out a more dominant reign as heavyweight champion than either of them. Holmes has been grossly overlooked and unappreciated by many boxing observers for a very long time, and even today when he is just beginning to receive his just dues, some factions continue to underrate this skills, heart, accomplishment, and longevity.

continue

‘I Will Take Jacobs Title, Expect Fireworks!’ says Peter Quillin

'I Will Take Jacobs Title, Expect Fireworks!' says Peter Quillin

Former WBO middleweight champion, Peter Quillin (32-0-1, 23ko), has warned Brooklyn rival Daniel Jacobs that he will be out to take his WBA (reg) title on Saturday night in their 160 lb clash for local bragging rights.

Quillin – who has been lambasted by fans for perceived ‘ducking’ after vacating his title for a career high payday rather than fight Russia’s Matty Korobov last year, has also claimed that local-buzz is fervent ahead of the clash, which is being seen as of little real consequence for the division due to both men publicly hedging over the issue of a future fight with dominant Kazakh champion [IBF/WBA (sup)], Gennady Golovkin over recent times.

continue

Flanagan: ‘I Want to Unify Titles in 2016’

Flanagan: 'I Want to Unify Titles in 2016'

WBO lightweight champion, Terry Flanagan (29-0, 12ko), has sent out a warning to his divisional rivals ahead of his Feb. 13 title defense against Liverpool’s Derry Mathews, saying ‘I want to unify.’

The unbeaten Manchester ace must first get past former WBA (interim) titlist ‘Dirty Derry’, who vacated his strap in order to make the fight and who also lost a previous 3 round decision to Flanagan in 2012 as part of Matchroom Sport’s ‘Prizefighter’ tournament series.

continue

Fury Has No Problem Trashing IBF Strap on Principle

Fury Has No Problem Trashing IBF Strap on Principle

New lineal heavyweight champion, Tyson Fury, will happily trash his IBF title on principle after the sanctioning body threatened to strip him for immediately rematching Wladimir Klitschko, rather than face their #1 contender Vyacheslav Glazkov.

Both Fury’s trainer and Uncle, Peter Fury, and Promoter Mick Hennessy have been enraged by the sanctioning body’s decision to order a purse bid for the Glazkov fight less than a week after Fury’s monumental win over Klitschko, and despite the fact Fury is contractually bound to rematch the 39 year-old Ukrainian next year.

continue

Billy Joe Saunders takes a pop at Chris Eubank

Billy Joe Saunders takes a pop at Chris Eubank

World title contender Billy Joe Saunders has taken a pop at former boxer and ‘I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!’ contestant Chris Eubank.

The undefeated London fighter, who faces middleweight world champion Andy Lee on December 19th at the Manchester Arena, took a swipe at the father of his arch-rival Chris Eubank Jr, labelling him “annoying” and “pathetic” during his stint on the ITV show.

continue

Jacobs-Quillin quotes

Jacobs-Quillin quotes

Before they enter the ring at Barclays Center, fighters competing on Saturday’s card headlined by the middleweight title showdown live on SHOWTIME® between Daniel “The Miracle Man” Jacobs and Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin held a media workout Wednesday at Gleason’s Gym in Brooklyn.

In attendance at the workout were both main event fighters, co-main event participants Jesus Cuellar and Jonathan “Polvo” Oquendo along with Chris Algieri, Erick Bone and “Sir” Marcus Browne, who will have their fights aired on SHO EXTREME (7 p.m. ET/PT).

continue

Froch Continues to Flirt with Poss Golovkin Comeback Fight

Froch Continues to Flirt with Poss Golovkin Comeback Fight

Retired former super-middleweight champion, Carl Froch, is still publicly flirting with the idea of a comeback fight against Gennady Golovkin, having met the Kazakh’s manager, Tom Loeffler for the first time.

Speaking to iFLtv alongside Loeffler after last week’s Klitschko/Fury weigh-in, the 38 year-old Froch states how he believes he would have trouble making the 168 lb super middleweight limit for any comeback, unreasonably going on to suggest he could fight the Kazakh 160 lb champion at a 172 lb catch-weight, before the idea is immediately dismissed by Loeffler as ‘too much of a jump’.

continue

Malignaggi in EBU Welterweight Shot on Joshua/Whyte Bill

Malignaggi in EBU Welterweight Shot on Joshua/Whyte Bill

Veteran former world champion Paulie Malignaggi (34-7, 7ko), will attempt to chalk off a ‘Bucket List’ ambition by winning the European welterweight title, when he fights 45-year old champion, Gianluca Branco (49-3-1, 24ko) on the Dec. 12 Joshua/Whyte ‘Bad Intentions’ bill from London’s O2.

The 34 year old American publicly ‘retired’ from the sport after August’s stoppage defeat at the hands of Danny Garcia, though was back in the ring only a month later, beating journeyman, Laszlo Fazekas (27-21-1) by 8 round decision in Milan, Italy.

continue