Ormond dominated Jimenez, captured the lightweight IBF Intercontinental Belt

By James Stillerman - 03/21/2016 - Comments

Stephen “The Rock” Ormond crushed Marcos Leonardo Jimenez over ten one-side rounds, en route to unanimous decision victory, 100-90 on all three scorecards in the main event. Ormond with the victory, obtained the vacant lightweight IBF intercontinental title and upped his record to 21-2, 11 KOs. He has won four in a row while Jimenez dropped to 21-7, 14 KOs.

Ormond pressed the action and connected on whatever he wanted, especially in the last couple of rounds. He landed several extremely powerful combinations on Jimenez throughout this fight that badly staggered him and it appeared that he would knockout Jimenez, but Jimenez somehow hung in there and didn’t go down. Jimenez deserved a great deal of credit for not getting knocked down from all the punishment that he absorbed from Ormond’s punches. Jimenez; however, was unable to sustain any effective offensive output to turn this fight around.

Murphys Boxing presented “St. Patrick’s Clash” in front of a sold out crowd at the House of Blues in Boston, Massachusetts. In addition to seeing great boxing fights, fans were treated to the Dropkick Murphys, a popular American Celtic punk band perform a special acoustic set before the headline bout.

Carlos “the Dragon” Candelario defeated Matt Doherty in an exciting action packed battle in which both fighters didn’t stop throwing punches the entire bout. Both boxers landed powerful shots, but Candelario took over the bout in the second half as he connected on the more accurate and numerous punches. Candelario had to deal with a nasty cut on his forehead that he received in the first round from a clash of heads. This cut continued to bleed each round; nevertheless it didn’t seem to bother Candelario. Candelario improved to 7-1, 3 KOs with the eight round unanimous decision victory, 78-74 on all three scorecards and received the vacant USA New England lightweight championship. He won his fourth consecutive bout and boxed for the first time in over a year as he recovered from a torn meniscus tear. Doherty fell to 4-2-1, 2 KOs and lost for the first time in his last five bouts.

Super welterweights Michael McLaughlin and Shakha Moore battled to a no contest after the bout was stopped at the beginning of the fourth round by the ring doctor because the cut over McLaughlin’s left eye was bleeding profusely. Since the fight didn’t go the full four rounds, it couldn’t go to the scorecards and neither fighter obtained the vacant USA New England welterweight title that was on the line for this bout. McLaughlin is unbeaten in his last ten bouts, 11-1-2, 5 KOs while Moore is 12-21-3, 2 KOs. McLaughlin obtained the cut in the first round from an accidental head-butt. Moore staggered McLaughlin at the end of the second round and then McLaughlin knocked Moore down in next round; however, the referee ruled it was a slip. McLaughlin landed more punches and connected on the harder shots through the first three rounds. Hopefully, both boxers can fight one another in a rematch.

Sixth ranked WBA super bantamweight TJ “The Power” Doheny successfully defended his PABA title against Gerardo Marin Hernandez as the bout was stopped at 1:40 into the fifth round. The ring doctor prevented Hernandez from continuing to fight due to the serve cut underneath his right eye that was badly bleeding. He received the cut in the third round from a left uppercut by Doheny, which continued to bleed for the next several rounds. Doheny scored a knockdown in the second round from a left hook and continued to press the action for the next three rounds as he out landed and outworked Hernandez. Doheny upped his record to 15-0, 11 KOs with the technical knockout win. Hernandez dropped to 13-4-1, 8 KOs and had his two bout winning streak stopped.

Greg Vendetti destroyed Joe Wilson, Jr. with four knockdowns in four rounds: one in the first, two in the third, and one more in the fourth, after which Wilson Jr.’s corner threw in the towel 17 seconds into the round. Vendetti with the technical knockout win improved to 9-2-1, 7 KOs and has won four in a row. Wilson fell to 3-4. Vendetti dominated this fight and staggered Wilson Jr. on several different occasions in their welterweight match up. He also scored another knockdown in the first round, but it was waived off because it was caused by a low blow.

Undefeated cruiserweight Steve Collins Jr., the son of former WBO middleweight champion, Steve Collins made quick work of Tyrell Bates who was making his professional debut. Collins Jr. landed a right hook that appeared to graze Bates’ head; however, Bates stayed down for the ten count and was counted out at 1:11 into the first round. Collins kept his undefeated record intact (6-0-1, 2 KOs) with the technical knockout victory. This was his first bout in the United States. Bates dropped to 0-1.

Cody Crowley improved to 7-0, 4 KOs with a six round unanimous decision win, 60-54 on all three scorecards over Antonio Chaves Fernandez who fell to 7-26-3, 2 KOs. Crowley controlled this fight as he pressed the action and connected on the more powerful punches throughout this welterweight bout. He’ll be back in the ring on May 14th at the Maryland State Fairgrounds in Lutherville-Timonium, Maryland.

Irish amateur heavyweight standout, Niall Kennedy scored a dominating first round knockout over Arthur Saribekian. He overwhelmed Saribekian from the opening bell and punished him around the ring. Kennedy badly staggered Saribekian on the ropes with a powerful right jab and then unleashed a powerful barrage of punches on a defenseless Saribekian, which prompted his corner to threw the towel in and stop this one-sided bout at two minutes into the round. Kennedy with the technical knockout victory kept his record perfect at 4-0, 2 KOs while Saribekian dropped to 23-11-1, 18 KOs.

Jean Pierre Augustine improved to 6-0-1, 2 KOs as he scored a fourth round unanimous decision on all three scorecards, 40-36 over Christopher Boykins who fell to 1-7. Augustine controlled the action in this heavyweight bout and landed whatever he wanted while Boykins couldn’t get much going offensively. This was Boykins’ first bout in six years.