Boxing news, views and results


Social
Ads by Yahoo
Subscribe via Email

East Side Boxing Version 1.0
You are here:

Statement from Andre Ward on the Passing of Dan Goossen

I was deeply saddened to learn the news of Dan Goossen’s passing early this morning. My thoughts and prayers have been with Dan and his family since I received the news of his illness last week. While Dan and I recently had our professional struggles, he was a great man, father and husband. He will be greatly missed by the boxing community. I will continue to keep the Goossen family in my prayers.

ESPN Statement on the Passing of Boxing Promoter Dan Goossen

Longtime boxing promoter Dan Goossen, of Goossen Promotions, who passed away Monday, promoted six events televised on ESPN networks in 2014 and has been a longtime promoter for ESPN’s boxing coverage. Most notably, Goossen promoted the WBC World Heavyweight Championship between Bermane Stiverne and Chris Arreola on ESPN in May. Continue reading

RIP Dan Goossen

Statement from the Goossen Family: “It is with overwhelming regret that we announce the passing of Dan Goossen, 64, from complications relating to liver cancer. The sudden news of his diagnosis was very much a private matter and his final days were spent surrounded by his family and closest friends. Sadness is difficult to escape as we grieve his passing, however we are filled with pride by the fact that Dan Goossen battled this aggressive illness with boundless strength and the last days of his life were fought and lived with unflinching bravery, pure love and grace beyond measure.”

Arrangements are pending and details will be announced in the next few days. Continue reading

Deal still not reached for Stiverne vs. Wilder fight, says De La Hoya

A couple days ago reports surfaced about there being a deal for a December fight between WBC heavyweight champion Bermane Stiverne (24-1-1, 21 KOs) and #1 WBC Deontay Wilder. Apparently, someone spoke too soon, because Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya says that there has been no deal reached between the 35-year-old Stiverne and the 6’7” Wilder.

If the two sides are unable to come to an agreement in their negotiations then it’ll go to purse bids on October 1st next week. That’s when the World Boxing Council has scheduled a purse bid in order to finally get the fight put together.

Contrary to wretched WBC comments @OscarDeLaHoya told me today he has NOT reached terms with King on Stiverne-Wilder. #boxing,” said Dan Rafael on his Twitter. Continue reading

Beterbiev could be the top guy at 175

Never mind about Bernard Hopkins, Adonis Stevenson, Jean Pascal and Sergey Kovalev, the fighter that could be the best in the light heavyweight division is Artur Beterbiev (6-0, 6 KOs). After Beterbiev’s 2nd round knockout win over former IBF light heavyweight champion Tavoris Cloud (24-3, 19 KOs) last night at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada, I think you can make an argument that Beterbiev beats all the other fighters in the light heavyweight division.

No offense to 49-year-old Hopkins, but beating Karo Murat, Cloud and Beibut Shumenov hardly makes him the best fighter in the division. He’s still pretty much the same fighter that Chad Dawson beat two years ago in 2012, only Hopkins probably isn’t even as good as he was back then. Continue reading

Hearn pushing WBO to force Paul Smith – Arthur Abraham rematch

Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn plans on appealing to the WBO to see if they can make his beaten fighter Paul Smith (35-4, 20 KOs) the WBO 168lb mandatory challenger to WBO super middleweight champion Arthur Abraham (41-4, 28 KOs), who beat him by a 12 round unanimous decision last night Kiel, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.

Hearn’s beef was that the scoring was too wide in Abraham’s favor in a fight that appeared to be a lot closer than the scores given by the three judges. Hearn was especially upset about one judge scoring the fight 119-109. Hearn thought that score came out of left field. Interestingly enough, Hearn says that the fight could have gone Abraham’s way by a round or so, but he’s upset about the wide scores. Continue reading

Pacquiao responds to Mayweather Tweet, calls him uneducated

WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao has responded to WBA/WBA welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr’s latest tweet by calling him an “uneducated person” after Mayweather had said that Pacquiao is desperate and that his PPV numbers are a joke.

“I’m not angry at him,” Pacquiao said to gmanetwork.com. “I still feel sorry for him, because he acts like an uneducated person. It’s pitiful to me and I pray for him.”

Pacquiao actually got the ball rolling in taking a shot at Mayweather first last week in Tweeting the following remark: “Floyd Mayweather’s testimony on All Access authenticity tells me everything I need to know about his desire to fight me.” Continue reading

Kalle Sauerland open to Abraham-Smith rematch if the money is right

If Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn is interested in getting a rematch for his fighter Paul Smith (35-4, 20 KOs) against WBO super middleweight champion Arthur Abraham (41-4, 28 KOs) then Hearn will need to open up his pocketbook and come up with a lot of cash because Abraham’s promoter Kalle Sauerland says he’s only going to let Abraham fight Smith again if the interest is there and the money is good enough.

Hearn will need to dig real deep for cash if he wants to have Abraham travel to Liverpool to fight Smith at home in the UK. Sauerland doesn’t want to put his fighter at a disadvantage unless it’s a substantial offer from Hearn. Abraham has a large following in Germany, so there’s really no point in him traveling to Liverpool to fight Smith, a fighter he just defeated by a 12 round unanimous decision last Saturday night in Germany. Continue reading

Artur Beterbiev – clear and present danger for Sergey Kovalev’s light heavyweight dominance

Artur Beterbiev, a former amateur standout from Russia who turned pro last year, needed 3 minutes and 38 seconds to stop Tavoris Cloud. He knocked Cloud down three times in round one and there was no 3 KD rule in effect so Cloud made it to the second round when he went down again and did not beat the count. Continue reading

Abraham retains WBO title with unanimous points decision

Arthur Abraham (41-4, 28 KOs) retained his WBO World Super Middleweight crown with a unanimous points decision against Paul Smith (35-4, 20 KOs) in Kiel, Germany. After twelve rounds of non-stop action in front of a sell-out crowd at the Sparkassen-Arena the judges scored the fight 117-111, 117-111 and 119-109 in favour of the defending champion.

‘’It was a tough fight,’’ said Abraham. ‘’Paul Smith was by no means an easy opponent and he made me work hard for the win. I was pleased with my performance. I feel that I have proved to myself, to my coach Ulli Wegner and to my fans that I still have what it takes. I’m not in decline and I look forward to more successful defences of my WBO title.’’ Continue reading

Beterbiev knocks Cloud down 4 times in 2nd round stoppage

Two-time Russian Olympian Artur Beterbiev (6-0, 6 KOs) completely dismantled former IBF light heavyweight champion Tavoris Cloud (24-3, 19 KOs) on Saturday night in knocking him down 4 times en route to stopping him in the 2nd round at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Canada. Cloud, 32, was down 3 times in the 1st round, and 1 time in the 2nd round. The fight was stopped by referee Michael Griffin at 0:38 of the 2nd. Continue reading