NEW YORK, (July 29, 2012) Star Boxing’s President Joe DeGuardia has survived a horrific and tragic fatal car accident while on his way home from “ROCKIN FIGHTS 4,”a sold-out event at The Paramount in Huntington, New York.
DeGuardia was on the Long Island Expressway in his new Mercedes Benz, when he was hit head-on by a Honda that was going the wrong way on the Expressway (just East of Exit ramp 41). The driver of the Honda was killed upon impact. There were reports that the driver of the Honda was operating without headlights on and was impaired.
Nassau County Sergeant Steven Fitzpatrick told 1010 WINS Radio that the crash was so brutal that both cars were throw approximately 150 feet from the point of impact. Both cars were totally destroyed.
‘I’m incredibly lucky to be alive” said DeGuardia. “I’m in quite a bit of pain, but I’ll be fine. Those close to DeGuardia commented that being in the well made brand new Mercedes Benz may have helped DeGuardia survive, and also suggested that DeGuardia’s instincts as a boxer (DeGuardia was a former Golden Gloves Champion who grew up on the tough streets of the Bronx) were also instrumental in his survival. Ironically, the accident was not far from where DeGuardia earned his law degree at Hofstra University School of Law School.
“I wish to express my deepest and most sincere appreciation for the outpouring of true concern I am humbled and honored by the emails, calls, texts, twitter, facebook and all other means of support I have received from all over the country and world from people in all aspects of my life, particularly including those in boxing, fans as well”.
“My thoughts and prayers are also extended to the families of the young man who lost his life and particularly his passenger. My prayers are with the young woman as she struggles for life.”
GENNADY GOLOVKIN CONGRATULATES KAZAKHSTAN GOLD MEDALIST
BIG BEAR, CA (July 30, 2012) While intense training continues ahead of his world title fight on Saturday, September 1st, WBA and IBO Middleweight World Champion Gennady Golovkin was thrilled to watch as his friend Alexander Vinokourov of Kazakhstan won the first Gold Medal of the 2012 Summer Olympics this past Saturday in the men’s 150-mile cycling road race in London, England.
“I’m extremely proud of Alexander, we’ve been friends for many years and it was very exciting to watch his race on Saturday” said Golovkin, a Silver Medalist in the 2004 Summer Olympics. Vinokourov pulled away in a late sprint to edge Rigoberto Uran of Columbia.
Said Golovkin, “Just like a boxer, Alexander won the race in the championship rounds.”
Golovkin, 23-0-0 (20KO’s), considered by many in boxing to be the BEST middleweight in the world, will make his highly anticipated United States and HBO debut on Saturday, September 1st against hard punching European Champion Grzegorz Proksa, 28-1-0 (21KO’s) in the main event at the Turning Stone Casino in Verona, New York.
Ukrainian Sergei Dzinziruk fights against undefeated Jonathan Gonzalez of Puerto Rico in the co-featured bout. The bouts will be broadcast on HBO’s acclaimed BOXING AFTER DARK, 9:45ET/PT.
Golovkin is promoted by K2 Promotions and trained by the highly regarded Abel Sanchez.
ABOUT K2 PROMOTIONS
K2 Promotions currently promotes heavyweight champions, Vitali and Wladimir Klitschko. Over the last decade, K2 Promotions has promoted the most heavyweight championship title bouts of any promoter worldwide. K2 Promotions is one of Boxing’s most respected promoters showcasing boxing’s biggest events in the US and Europe at some of the world’s premier venues.
For more information, please visit their website at
Latest Boxing News
- Ryan Garcia reveals why Manny Pacquiao failed to happen
- Canelo Alvarez – Avni Yildirim – weights from Miami
- Watch Live: Canelo vs Yildirim Weigh In Live Stream
- Wanheng Menayothin – Panya Pradabsri II In The Works For The Middle Of The Year – Repeat Or Revenge?
- Mike Tyson Looks Back On His First Fight With Frank Bruno: “I Saw White Lights”
- Eddie Hearn: Saunders could beat Canelo Alvarez
- Julio Cesar Martinez injured, pulls out of Saturday’s fight with Mcwilliams Arroyo
- Chuck Wepner: The Great Survivor
- Pardon Me: Fritzie Zivic Takes Henry Armstrong’s Welterweight Title
- Joseph Parker Vs. Junior Fa This Saturday at 1:30 a.m. ET, Live on DAZN
Next Boxing Events
- Parker Vs Fa – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Kunkabayev vs Emurlaiev – IFL, ESPN+ – Feb. 27
- Khademi vs Ahmed – BT Sport – Feb. 27
- Canelo vs Yildirim – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Dirrell vs Davis – FOX – Feb. 27
- Martinez vs Arroyo – Postponed
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
Latest Boxing Results:
- Oscar Valdez Pulls Off a Masterful Performance
- Otto Wallin beats Dominic Breazeale, wants title shot
- Ivan Golub stops Luis Eduardo Florez in six – Boxing Results
- Richard Brewart Jr. Remains Unbeaten With MD Victory – Boxing Results
- Adrien Broner defeats Jovanie Santiago in The Comeback – Boxing Results
- Photos: Crown the Mexican King: Oscar Valdez Dethrones Berchelt!
- Photos: Broner, Wallin & Easter Jr Victorious On SHOWTIME®
- Oscar Valdez KOs Miguel Berchelt in 10th round – Boxing Results
- Photos: Avaneysan beats Kelly, closes chapter
- Berchelt – Valdez – live action from Las Vegas