By Brendan Galbraith – Belfast flyweight, Luke ‘Winky’ Wilton, who has signed a three-year deal with Frank Maloney Promotions, faces former foe, Uzzy Ahmed on the under card of Lindsay-Simpson on the 15th December 2010 in the Kings Hall, Belfast.
And Wilton is keen to avenge a narrow 39-40 points loss to Ahmed in only his fourth professional fight back in 2008:
“I cant wait – I will settle the score this time. He is in for a shock next Wednesday night.
“Training has been brilliant, superb. It has been the best so far, I am only 1 Ilb overweight and I am ready to go. I have been working with a lot of amateurs, particularly for his style.”
Wilton was supposed to fight Ahmed on a Maloney card in July but his opponent pulled out of the fight at the last moment:
“There is nothing worse, I was on the scales and he didn’t turn up – so I will settle the score for that as well..”
If Wilton comes through his rematch with Ahmed unscathed he is eying a British Title fight with the winner of Shinny Baayar and Paul Edwards in 2011 – which is the co-feature on Kings Hall show.
Promoter Frank Maloney has three flyweight fights on this under card, including Wilton’s Belfast rival, Jamie Conlan, recognises the history of the flyweight division to Northern Ireland:
“Northern Ireland has got a history of flyweights”, began Maloney. “I remember Hugh Russell beating my brother (Eugene Maloney 3-5-1) at flyweight!” Hugh Russell who was in attendance at yesterday’s press conference, this time in his role as an award-winning photographer – raised a fond smile at Maloney’s reference.
“We have got the Flyweight Title on and I know this will cause interest because we have the two young flyweights on here (Conlan and Wilton).”
“There is a great Irish Title fight down the road for the two flyweights (Jamie Conlan and Luke Wilton) and to use that as a step for the British Title or an eliminator for the European Title. So there are some very good fights there.”
Both fighters, Conlan and Wilton, were asked at yesterday’s press conference if they would fight each other and there was no hesitation from either man in accepting the challenge that Maloney will inevitably put on in one of his Belfast shows in 2011.
Wilton said: “I would take the fight, no problem. I have no qualms with that at all”.
First things first, a rematch and a score to settle with Ahmed.
Wednesday 15th December 2010 at the Kings Hall, Belfast:
Martin Lindsay v John Simpson (British Featherweight Title) & Shinny Bayaar v Paul Edwards (British Flyweight Title).
Prices: £55 (Ringside) £35 and £25
Doors Open: 18:15
Sky Sports Telecast starting at 8pm.
Further information: Call FTM-Sports 020 84677647 or log onto www.frankmaloney.com
The Full Card is:
12 x3 British Featherweight Title
Martin Lindsay v John Simpson
12 x 3 British Flyweight Title
Shinny Bayaar v Paul Edwards
8 x 3 Light Heavyweight
Tony Jeffries v Tommy Tolan
6 x 3 Flyweight
Jamie Conlan v Francis Croes
6 x 3 Flyweight
Luke Wilton v Usman Ahmed
4 x 3 Welterweight
Steven Jevons v TBA
4 x 3 Light Middleweight
Ryan Greene v TBA
4 x 3 Light welterweight
Tony Nellins v TBA
4 x 3 Featherweight
Mike Harvey v Dann Darr
Weigh in will take place in The Balmoral Hotel, Blacks Road, Belfast 14th December 2010 at 3pm.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikaela Mayer faces Ewa Brodnicka on Inoue vs. Moloney card on Oct.31
- Murat Gassiev Vs. Kevin Johnson On October 31?
- Dereck Chisora Says He’s “Stronger” Than Joshua, Fury, Whyte, Wilder
- Can Cruiserweight King Mairis Briedis Make It As A Heavyweight?
- Terence Crawford Turns 33 – At 36-0, “Bud” Still In Need Of His Defining Fight
- Kenny Norton: The Fighter Muhammad Ali Was Never Able To Master
- WBSS Champ Mairis Briedis returns to Latvia with the Ali Trophy
- “Irish” Micky Ward: One of boxing’s most beloved ring warriors
- Pablo Valdez keen on ring return, reflects on COVID’s effect on his career
- 40 Years Ago Today: Marvin Hagler’s Brutal Coronation
From The Boxing Forums
- Seeing all the chaos of current HW division today..shows you how good Wlad was
- The Charlo Bros are the real deal
- (BREAKING) Mikey Garcia Confirms Manny Pacquiao Fight Is Next...
- Most badass moments I've seen in boxing ring
- Tyson Fury would beat Mike Tyson
- Hrgovic or Dubois
- Lomachenko is getting up there in age
- Terence Crawford versus Josh Taylor at 147
- Is Ike Ibeabuchi the most physically gifted heavyweight since Ali?
- Does Jermall beat anyone but Canelo at 160?
Latest Boxing Results:
- And The Nastiest KO Of The Night Award Goes To ….Filip Hrgovic!
- Casimero Retains WBO Bantam Title With Quick Win Over Micah – Boxing Results
- Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario in 8th round – Boxing Results
- Photos: Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario; Jermall Charlo defeats Derevyanchenko
- Jermall Charlo decisions Derevyanchenko – Boxing Results
- Josh Taylor Destroys Khongsong In A Round With Brutal Body Shot -Boxing Results
- Mairis Briedis wins the Ali Trophy After Enthralling Final – Boxing Results
- Photos: Taylor Blows Out Khongsong in 1 Round
- Mario Cazares Stuns Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. – Boxing Results
- Bohachuk Wins In Mexico; Reyes stops Rodriguez – Boxing Results