By James Slater: Last night in Paris, France, 38-year-old former cruiserweight king Jean Marc Mormeck won a very close and hard-fought 12-round split decision over the never-stopped Timur Ibragimov of Uzbekistan. Contesting the vacant World Boxing Association (WBA) international heavyweight title, as well as being very important in terms of world ratings, the fight was one that could conceivably have gone either way.
In the end, two of the judges went for “The Marksman,” voting for him by scores of 116-111, 116-112 (both scores seemingly too wide), while the third official scored the fight for the visitor, at 115-113. Mormeck is now 36-4(22) overall and 3-0(0) as a heavyweight. 35-year-old Ibragimov lost for the first time in almost four years and is now 33-3-1(16).
Ibragimov started the fight well, with Mormeck being very conservative with his own punches. A fair deal bigger and stronger than Mormeck (at 6’3” and 225-pounds to 5’11” and 215), Ibragimov bullied Mormeck and was winning the rounds.
The tide changed in the 5th, as Mormeck began firing in, and scoring with, some good uppercuts to the chin, forcing Ibragimov onto the ropes. Ibragimov attacked the body in the 8th, and the fight’s momentum switched again. Now clearly tired, more tired than was his opponent, Mormeck was having to dig deep.
There was, overall, way too much holding from both men for the fight to really excite (although the French fans seemed to enjoy it), and in the 10th-round, Ibragimov was deducted a point for hitting Mormeck behind the head. This was just after the Uzbekistani had hurt the local man with a good body shot.
Ibragimov had more left in the closing rounds, with Mormeck looking absolutely shattered. The final drive by the younger man wasn’t enough though, and the French hero won his third straight at heavyweight. But has Mormeck looked good at the new weight in either of his three outings?
Most people thought Mormeck clearly lost his last fight, to Fres Oquendo, while in his heavyweight debut against Vinny Maddalone (an eight-rounder), Mormeck was gassed and being outworked in the later rounds. Now he has escaped with another razor-thin points victory. How much better can Mormeck get as a heavyweight at age 38?
Very much hoping to land a world title shot – against WBA boss and former foe David Haye ideally – Mormeck won’t have scared either Haye or the two Klitschkos with last night’s showing. Mormeck isn’t a bad fighter: he is just too small, too lacking in stamina against the big guys as a result, and too old to pose a genuine threat to the champions. This doesn’t mean he won’t get his shot, though.
As long as Mormeck keeps winning, he will keep asking for his chance. Will “The Hayemaker” give him an opportunity?
Latest Boxing News
- Inoue vs Moloney Final Presser Quotes And Photos
- Usyk vs Chisora Final Presser Quotes And Photos
- Davis Vs. Santa Cruz Final Presser Quotes And Photos
- Barrera vs Morales IV? Yet Another Exhibition Between Two Legends In The Works
- Dave Allen-Christopher Lovejoy Fight In Jeopardy As Don King Steps In
- On This Day 60 Years Ago: Clay Vs. Hunsaker And The Birth Of A Legend
- Deontay Wilder Posts Rare Twitter Message, But It’s Nothing To Do With His Own Career
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr LIVE on BT Sport Box Office (UK) & FITE TV (USA) on Nov. 28th
- Watch LIVE: Jaime Munguia vs Tureano Johnson Weigh In Livestream
- Watch LIVE: Naoya Inoue – Jason Moloney Final Presser Livestream
From The Boxing Forums
- **Julio Cesar Chavez says he'd whoop Lopez and Loma the same night**
- Who will likely be heavyweight champions in the next 5 years?
- When Garcia beats Campbell....
- Best Juanma fights?
- A boxing question
- ( o ) ( o ) SUPER STACKED SATURDAY ( o )( o )
- Australian Boxing/SM Memorial thread
- Kosta Tszyu vs Ike Quartey 147
- How good is Derek Chisora?
- THURMAN VS UGAS
Latest Boxing Results:
- Photos: Lipinets and unbeaten Clayton fight to 12 round majority draw
- Juan Francisco Estrada TKOs Carlos Cuadras – Boxing Results
- Estrada defeats Cuadras; Chocolatito and Martinez both win
- Teofimo Lopez dominates Vasily Lomachenko, Arum furious at judge
- Photos: Lopez Jr. upsets Lomachenko, Edgar Berlanga Goes 15 for 15
- Teofimo Lopez beats Vasily Lomachenko – Boxing Results
- Michael McKinson and Jay Harris both win – Boxing results
- Lewis Ritson defeats Vazquez – Boxing Results
- Robin Krasniqi upsets Bösel, Peter Kadiru defeats Gorst – Boxing Results
- KO Wins In Canada For David Lemieux and Arslanbek Makhmudov