Frank Warren says he is confident that James DeGale and George Groves will fight. The Brit rivals have been calling out each other since they turned professional. And they could be on course for a British title showdown later this year if Paul Smith vacates. That fight could get vetoed by either camp if they believe a bigger contest can be staged down the line. Warren says the fight will happen at some point. “Yes, I look after my fighters, but never shy away of putting on big fights,” he wrote in his column for The Sun..
“It was me who got all of the British heavyweights to fight a few years ago, and I recently made Enzo Maccarinelli against David Haye and you only have to look at my Birmingham show in September to see some mouth-watering matchups.
“But sometimes you have to get your timing right though.
“At the moment, there are calls for James DeGale and George Groves to get it on.
“That’s a fantastic fight, but to stage it right now with 16 fights between them would be premature.
“They are both big title fights in the making, and 18 months down the line, all involved can make life-changing sums.
“The DeGale situation is interesting. He did lose to Groves as an amateur, but that was in 2006. Two years later, DeGale turned it on when it really mattered – the 2008 Olympics when he came back with Britain’s only boxing gold.
“He’s the man to beat and it is not the other way round. Time will definitely tell!”
DeGale next fights on September 18 at the LG Arena, Birmingham as part of the Magnificent Seven show.
BURNS CAN BE BETTER THAN HARRISON SAYS TRAINER
Top Scottish trainer Billy Nelson believes new star Ricky Burns can be better than Scott Harrison.
Nelson assisted Scott’s father Peter in training the former two-time WBO World Featherweight champion during his glory years.
But he thinks Burns can trump his lengthy reign as a world champion.
The Coatbridge hot-shot challenges undefeated Puerto Rican Roman Martinez for the WBO World Super-Featherweight crown on September 4 in Glasgow, live on Sky Sports HD1
And Nelson says he’s looked very impressive in the gym.
“Ricky has got so much talent, it’s unbelievable,” said Nelson.
“Harrison was a fantastic fighter, but from what I have seen of Ricky, he can be better.
“We’ve just had some sparring in Manchester and Ricky was brilliant.
“He’s in the best shape of his career and I’m so excited about the Martinez fight.
“Ricky has taken a while to find his stride as a professional, but in the last 18 months he has improved every day in the gym.
“Obviously Harrison was the most successful Scottish boxer of recent years, and Ricky will have to go some to match his achievements.
“But I really believe he has what it takes to win this fight against Martinez and then defend his belt against anyone.”
Nelson is also training Commonwealth Featherweight Champion John Simpson who defends his title against Stephen Smith as chief-supporting contest on the show.
Tickets are priced at £40, £50, £75 and £150 from the following outlets:
Morrison Promotions: 0141 554 7777
Tickets Scotland: 08444 155 221 or www.tickets-scotland.com
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+ – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results