Frank Warren says he is confident that James DeGale and George Groves will fight. The Brit rivals have been calling out each other since they turned professional. And they could be on course for a British title showdown later this year if Paul Smith vacates. That fight could get vetoed by either camp if they believe a bigger contest can be staged down the line. Warren says the fight will happen at some point. “Yes, I look after my fighters, but never shy away of putting on big fights,” he wrote in his column for The Sun..
“It was me who got all of the British heavyweights to fight a few years ago, and I recently made Enzo Maccarinelli against David Haye and you only have to look at my Birmingham show in September to see some mouth-watering matchups.
“But sometimes you have to get your timing right though.
“At the moment, there are calls for James DeGale and George Groves to get it on.
“That’s a fantastic fight, but to stage it right now with 16 fights between them would be premature.
“They are both big title fights in the making, and 18 months down the line, all involved can make life-changing sums.
“The DeGale situation is interesting. He did lose to Groves as an amateur, but that was in 2006. Two years later, DeGale turned it on when it really mattered – the 2008 Olympics when he came back with Britain’s only boxing gold.
“He’s the man to beat and it is not the other way round. Time will definitely tell!”
DeGale next fights on September 18 at the LG Arena, Birmingham as part of the Magnificent Seven show.
BURNS CAN BE BETTER THAN HARRISON SAYS TRAINER
Top Scottish trainer Billy Nelson believes new star Ricky Burns can be better than Scott Harrison.
Nelson assisted Scott’s father Peter in training the former two-time WBO World Featherweight champion during his glory years.
But he thinks Burns can trump his lengthy reign as a world champion.
The Coatbridge hot-shot challenges undefeated Puerto Rican Roman Martinez for the WBO World Super-Featherweight crown on September 4 in Glasgow, live on Sky Sports HD1
And Nelson says he’s looked very impressive in the gym.
“Ricky has got so much talent, it’s unbelievable,” said Nelson.
“Harrison was a fantastic fighter, but from what I have seen of Ricky, he can be better.
“We’ve just had some sparring in Manchester and Ricky was brilliant.
“He’s in the best shape of his career and I’m so excited about the Martinez fight.
“Ricky has taken a while to find his stride as a professional, but in the last 18 months he has improved every day in the gym.
“Obviously Harrison was the most successful Scottish boxer of recent years, and Ricky will have to go some to match his achievements.
“But I really believe he has what it takes to win this fight against Martinez and then defend his belt against anyone.”
Nelson is also training Commonwealth Featherweight Champion John Simpson who defends his title against Stephen Smith as chief-supporting contest on the show.
Tickets are priced at £40, £50, £75 and £150 from the following outlets:
Morrison Promotions: 0141 554 7777
Tickets Scotland: 08444 155 221 or www.tickets-scotland.com
Latest Boxing News
- Watch LIVE: Canelo vs. Saunders Press Conference
- Tyson Fury predicts Saunders win over Canelo
- Eddy Reynoso: Saunders can’t run out of the ring from Canelo
- Sauders: The Canelo fight is about boxing brains
- Canelo vs. Saunders – The first face off
- Can Billy Joe Saunders Win A Decision Over Canelo Alvarez?
- Four Top Rank on ESPN Events in May and June
- May 1946: The Ezzard Charles – Archie Moore Rivalry Begins
- Sergio Mora doubts Andy Ruiz Jr can win a world title again
- Roy Jones Vs. Joe Calzaghe? Thomas Hearns? Shannon Briggs?
- Canelo vs. Saunders: John Ryder possible replacement for Billy Joe
- Saunders tells Hearn to install his 22-foot ring in for Canelo fight
- Canelo: I don’t care about the ring size, the fight with Saunders will go ahead
- Manny Pacquiao To Announce His Next Fight And His Retirement At The Same Time
- Floyd Mayweather Lists The Best Fighter He Faced, And The Roughest!
Next Boxing Events
- Kurbanov vs. Liam Smith – ESPN+ – May 7
- Canelo vs Saunders – DAZN – May 8
- Hardy vs Camara – UFC Fight Pass – May 14
- Harper vs Choi – Sky Sports, DAZN – May 15
- Nery vs Figueroa – Showtime – May 15
- Ramirez vs Taylor – ESPN – May 22
- Haney vs Linares – DAZN – May 29
- Donaire vs Oubaali – Showtime – May 29
- Dubois vs Dinu – BT Sport – June 5
- Holyfield vs McBride – FITE TV – June 5
- Mayweather Vs Logan Paul – Showtime – June 6
- Stevenson vs. Nakathila – ESPN – June 12
- Munguia vs Sulecki – DAZN – June 19
- Jermall Charlo vs Montiel – Showtime – June 19
- Inoue vs. Dasmarinas – ESPN – June 19
Latest Boxing Results:
- Photos: Andy Ruiz Jr. Earns Unanimous Decision Over Chris Arreola
- Photos: Parker, Taylor, Eubank Jr & Bivol Win In Manchester
- Sebastian Fundora & Abel Ramos Victorious In FOX PPV Undercard Action
- Ruiz defeats Arreola – Boxing Results
- Erislandy Lara & Eduardo Ramirez Score Knockout Victories – Boxing Results
- Parker beats Chisora; Taylor decisions Jonas – Boxing Results
- Dimitry Bivol beats Craig Richards – Boxing Results
- Chris Eubank Jr Pounds Out Ten Round Unanimous Decision Over Marcus Morrison
- Jovanni Straffon Blasts Out James Tennyson In One Explosive Round
- Andy Ruiz Jr vs. Chris Arreola – Live Boxing Results from Carson, Ca