Las Vegas, Nev. (July 29)… When the Marquez vs. Diaz II “Fight of the Year: The Rematch” undercard was announced, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer promised fight fans “The Night of the Year,” stacking the undercard with great fighters and fights with unpredictable outcomes. Now fans can look forward to even more from this spectacular night of boxing with two free undercard preview fights to be broadcast by select pay-per-view providers beginning at 7 p.m. ET/ 4 p.m. PT. Fans should check their guide listings for details..
The two fights scheduled to be included on the “free-view” will feature “The Contender” Season Three Champion and number four world rated super middleweight Sakio Bika (28-3-2, 19 KOs) of Sydney, Australia against number eleven world rated super middleweight Jean Paul Mendy (28-0-1, 16 KOs) of Paris, France in a 12-round IBF Super Middleweight eliminator and Golden Boy Promotions’ rising star and number-one rated American amateur (prior to his pro debut) Frankie Gomez (4-0, 4 KOs) of East Los Angeles, Calif. facing Ronald Peterson (2-2, 2 KOs) of St. Paul, Minn. in a six round junior welterweight fight. The free broadcast will feature commentary by Dave Bontempo and Bob “The Colonel” Sheridan.
“We are very excited to be able to bring even more great boxing to fight fans around the country on July 31,” said Schaefer. “The two fights featured in the ‘free-view’ are excellent match-ups that fit right in with the exciting nature of this fight card. The fact that fans can watch both of these fights for free goes to show that this really is going to be one of the best nights of boxing in recent years.”
CABLE SYSTEMS OFFER SEVERAL FREE ON DEMAND BOXING PROGRAMS TO GET FANS PUMPED UP FOR SATURDAY’S HIGHLY ANTICIPATED LIVE PPV REMATCH: BOXING: MARQUEZ VS. DIAZ II
Two Classic Bouts Are Available Free Via Cable On Demand and Online
In Advance of the July 31 Unified Lightweight World Championship Bout
New York, July 29 – Juan Manuel “Dinamita” Marquez and Juan “Baby Bull” Diaz will collide once again this Saturday, July 31, LIVE on PPV at 9pm ET, from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas (One hour countdown show begins at 8pm ET). There, the two great warriors will do battle for the Unified Lightweight World Championship. In advance of this exciting rematch, Boxing: Marquez vs. Diaz II, certain cable systems around the country* are offering viewers several Free On Demand programs.
The prequel to this Saturday’s monumental matchup took place in February 2009 and saw Marquez rally to defeat Diaz in the ninth round. That memorable fight was recognized by the boxing world as the 2009 Fight of the Year. In this rematch, the following titles are on the line: the WBO Lightweight Title and the WBA Super World Lightweight Title.
Two free classic fights featuring these champions are available now both on many cable systems and also online. Plus, cable customers can enjoy a free pre-fight special preview show in both English and Spanish as well as see footage from the weigh-in. Free programs can now be found within the Free On Demand offerings on their cable systems. They can check their Video On Demand (VOD) menus under Events on Demand, Free Previews, Free Extras, or Sports. More information about the PPV event is at: http://www.indemand.com/product/view/194396
Following are descriptions and availability of the Free On Demand programs:
Marquez/Diaz Preview Countdown Show (available now on cable in both English and Spanish) – An action-packed and informative preview show includes footage from previous fights and interviews of Juan Manuel Marquez and Juan Diaz preparing for their upcoming fight, plus comments from trainers, supporters and footage from their hometowns.
Classic Boxing: Barrera vs. Marquez – Available now on cable and also online at http://indemand.com/product/view/194396. Classic Boxing: Marco Antonio Barrera vs. Juan Manuel Marquez – In a match-up of Mexican greats, these two warriors waged a memorable battle in which they brought out the best in each other. From Las Vegas, March 17, 2007.
Classic Boxing: Diaz vs. Katsidis – Available now on cable and also online at http://indemand.com/product/view/194396. Classic Boxing: Juan Diaz vs. Michael Katsidis – Going in, each man was seeking to establish dominance among the world’s top lightweights. As a result the action was fierce and the result was decisive. From Houston, TX Sept. 6, 2008.
Weigh-In – Footage from the live weigh-in which takes place Friday, July 30 in Las Vegas will be available to cable viewers for free starting Saturday, July 31.
Boxing: Marquez vs. Diaz II is an HBO Pay-Per-View® presentation. SRP for the fight is $49.99. The free content as well as the fight is distributed to cable by iN DEMAND L.L.C.
*The following cable operators will be carrying the free content plus the PPV event: Comcast, Cox Communications, Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks, RCN, Bresnan and many independent affiliates. Running time: 4:58, Rating: TV-14 (V). High definition telecast is available in most areas.
MARQUEZ MASSIVE FAVOURITE AHEAD OF DIAZ REMATCH
WBA and WBO lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez is just 30-100 on Betfair to retain his titles at the Mandalay Bay Casino, Las Vegas, on Saturday night.
Marquez defends his crown against Juan Diaz, a 7-2 punt, in a rematch of their February 2009 bout which the 36-year-old Mexican won in the 9th round. The draw is available at 26-1.
The reigning champion is available at 7-5 to deliver another win by knock-out, while Diaz is an 8-1 shot to KO his opponent.
Betfair’s Alex Bake said: “Having fought Floyd Mayweather Jnr at welterweight and lost; this fight marks Marquez’s return to the lightweight division. He has one win over Diaz on his record already and the punters are backing him to make it two out of two on Saturday night.”
To win Marquez vs. Diaz Betfair bet: 30-100 Marquez, 7-2 Diaz, 26-1 Draw
Method of victory Marquez vs. Diaz Betfair bet: 7-5 Marquez TKO, 8-1 Diaz TKO, 13-8 Marquez Decision, 5-1 Diaz Decision
Latest Boxing News
- Latest Episode Of Mike Tyson’s ‘Hot Boxin’ Really A Must-See – Leonard, Hearns, Mosley In The Studio
- Demond Nicholson Interview: “I Will Take Edgar Berlanga To The Dark Places I’ve Been To”
- April 2001 – When Two British Boxing Giants Came Crashing Down
- Thurman reacts to Danny Garcia calling him out at 154
- WATCH LIVE: Frampton vs Herring Weigh In Live Stream
- Keith Thurman coming back in the summer, wants a big fight
- The Return of Donnie Nietes
- Rafael Ruelas The Latest Big Name To Want To Come Back, Targets De La Hoya Rematch
- Alexander Povetkin hasn’t decided if he’ll retire, won’t be given Dillian Whyte trilogy
- Herring vs Frampton ESPN+ Press Conference Quotes & Photos
Next Boxing Events
- Herring vs Frampton – Channel 5, ESPN+ – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
- Ennis vs Lipinets – Showtime – April 10
- Smith vs Vlasov – ESPN, BoxNation – April 10
- Machado vs Romero – IFL, ESPN+ – April 16
- Harrison vs Perrella – FOX – April 17
- Lemieux vs Landaeta – TVA Sports – April 17
- Andrade vs Williams – SKY, DAZN – April 17
- Franklin vs Shaw – NBC Sports Network – April 22
- Hardy vs Camara – UFC Fight Pass – April 23
- Navarrete vs Diaz – ESPN – April 24
- Munguia vs Sulecki – DAZN – April 24
- Conlan vs Baluta Jr – ESPN+ – April 30
- Chisora vs Parker – Sky, DAZN – May 1
- Lara vs LaManna – FOX – May 1
Latest Boxing Results:
- Tim Tszyu Scores Impressive 5th Round Stoppage Over Dennis Hogan
- Zach Parker Claims WBO Strap – Boxing Results
- Lennox Clarke Crowned British & Commonwealth King – Boxing Results
- Whyte crushes Povetkin in massacre in Gibraltar – Boxing Results
- Dillian Whyte Gets Revenge, Stops Povetkin In Fourth Round!
- Fabio Wardley Scores Fifth Round KO Over Eric Molina – Boxing Results
- Nick Webb Demolishes Erik Pfeifer In Two Rounds – Boxing Results
- Patel stops Kisarawe, Tetteh overcomes Haruna – Boxing Results
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – live results and photos
- Amanda Serrano Puts On Brilliant Performance With KO Win Over Bermudez – Boxing Results