On Saturday February 6th, heavyweight fan favorite, Vinny Maddalone (32-6, 23) will get the weekend fireworks started early when he takes on Dominique Alexander (19-7-1, 9KO) in an eight round heavyweight match-up at the Tropicana Casino and Resort in Atlantic City, NJ. The show, promoted by Joe DeGuardia’s Star Boxing, and broadcast live on GoFightLive.tv, is headlined by welterweight prospect, Atlantic City’s own, Shamone ‘The Truth” Alvarez (20-2, 11KO) taking on knockout artist Alexis Camacho (17-2, 16KO)..
The Queens native Maddalone is no stranger to the bright lights of Atlantic City, having fought there four times before, one of which was named ESPN’s 2004 Fight of the Year.
“I’m excited to be returning to A.C.,” says Maddalone. “There is a lot of fight history in this city, so it’s extra special for me anytime I have the opportunity to fight there.”
Maddalone is coming off a hard fought decision loss back in December to former two-time cruiserweight champion, Jean Marc Mormeck. The fight which took place in Mormeck’s native France, saw Maddalone press the action and take the fight head on to Mormeck from the opening bell. Mormeck as well as Maddalone , is known for being a banger, but it was evident from the first time Mormeck felt Maddalone’s power he wanted no part in the brutal exchanges and began circling and boxing from the outside.
“I was surprised when he started moving like he did,” stated Maddalone. “From the tapes I have seen of him he usually stood right there in front of you, but then again that was at cruiserweight. I could tell right away in the first round when I hit him that I could hurt him.”
In what was an exciting fight, that brought the sold out crowd to their feet multiple times throughout the contest, Maddalone went on to lose by decision. Although Maddalone lost, as was the case when he fought in Europe in 2008; he dropped another hard fought decision loss to undefeated top five rated heavyweight Denis Boytsov; he further added onto his fan base, a base that has now begun to stretch worldwide.
“I’m a throwback fighter. Anytime I am in that ring you know you are going to see an exciting fight, and the people in Europe, as do my fans here in the U.S, appreciate that. Fighting is my life, it’s what I love to do, and come February 6th you can expect nothing less out of me. As I do every time I step into that ring, I am going to leave it all on the line and give the fans something to be excited about.”
A win in Atlantic City, could set up another trip for Maddalone back to Europe. There have been talks of Maddalone fighting on the undercard of Mormeck’s next fight, and if both win, Maddalone- Mormeck II could be on the horizon.
“I would love another opportunity to face Mormeck. It was an exciting fight that the fans loved, and want to see again, but first things first, I must take care of business this Saturday.
The Tropicana Casino and Resort is located at 2831 Boardwalk, Atlantic City, NJ and can be contacted by calling (609) 340-4000. Tickets are priced at $100 (ringside), $50 and $30 with a limited number of V.I.P. packages available at $200. Tickets can be purchased by calling the Star Boxing office at (718) 823-2000 or visiting www.starboxing.com. Tickets may also be purchased at any Ticketmaster outlet, www.ticketmaster.com, or at the Tropicana North Tower Box Office.
JESSE BRINKLEY BEATS CURTIS STEVENS
February 1st, 2010
Reno – In a highly anticipated super-middleweight showdown on Friday night in Reno, Jesse Brinkley beat, and beat-up, Curtis “Showtime” Stevens.
Yerington, Nevada’s Jesse Brinkley (35-5, 22 KOs) earned the #2 mandatory position in the IBF by out boxing and out punching Brooklyn’s Curtis Stevens (21-3, 15 KOs) in a thrilling twelve-round bout.
Stevens, who was vocal about seeking out an early KO, left the gate throwing bombs. His one dimensional approach won him the first round or two. In rounds three and four, Brinkley took control of the fight and put on a boxing clinic while landing several power punches of his own. In the sixth round, two straight right hands found their mark and put Stevens on the floor. He got up at the count of eight, and the round-ending bell rang seconds later.
In the mid and late rounds, Brinkley continued to fight his fight in between exciting and powerful exchanges. Ahead on points, Brinkley continued to throw heat in the final round and once again floored Stevens. The rowdy, sold-out crowd at the Grand Sierra Resort was on its feet when the final bell rang.
Scores were 117/109 118/108 and 119/107 for Brinkley
BRANDON GONZALES SHINES AGAIN IN RENO
February 1st, 2010
Reno – Middleweight prospect Brandon “Flawless” Gonzales (10-0, 9 KOs) entered 2010 with win # 10 on Friday night at the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno, NV.
From the opening bell, Gonzales completely dominated the experienced and tough Dewey Welliver (18-20-1). In the second round, Welliver suffered numerous body attacks and a vicious right hand that opened up a cut under his left eye. The constant pressure was too much for Welliver as he suffered a knockdown midway through the round. He made it to his feet, but was clearly not fully recovered. Referee Russell Mora called a halt to the bout at (1:25 rnd 2).
Another win, and another knockout for Brandon “Flawless” Gonzales.
Gonzales is scheduled to fight again on March 20th on Reno Xtreme Fights III at the Grand Sierra Resort and Casino, Reno, NV. Details of his bout, along with the rest of the card will be announced shortly.
ABOUT LET’S GET IT ON PROMOTIONS:
Reno, Nevada based “Let’s Get It On” Promotions was founded in 2000 by legendary boxing referee Mills Lane. In early 2005 he was joined by sons Terry and Tommy in the operations of the company. Along with super middleweight contender Jesse Brinkley, Let’s Get It On Promotions also promotes middleweight prospect Brandon Gonzales, lightweight contender Rustam Nugaev, sensational lightweight prospect Bayan Jargal and highly regarded brothers Tyler and Derek Hinkey. They have consistently promoted world class boxing events on a national basis.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+, BoxNation, Premier Sports – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results