21.10.05 – Almost six years after their epic 1999 battle, boxing icons Oscar De La Hoya and Felix Trinidad will finally meet again on Friday, October 21 – this time not as combatants, but as friends.“A boxing event in Puerto Rico just wouldn’t be the same without Felix Trinidad in attendance,” said Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya, the promoter of Friday’s “BATALLA EN EL COLISEO” show..
“So I extended an invitation to Felix to attend our first show on the island, and he graciously accepted. It should be a great night for everyone.”
De La Hoya and Trinidad battled it out for 12 rounds on September 18, 1999, in one of the most highly-anticipated non-heavyweight title fights of all-time. Trinidad won a majority decision that night in Las Vegas, and despite the demands of fight fans, the two never met again – until now.
“BATALLA EN EL COLISEO” or “Battle at The Coliseum” will be televised live from the Coliseo de Puerto Rico in Hato Rey, Puerto Rico on Telefutura’s ‘Solo Boxeo’, beginning at 9pm ET/PT.
The first bout of the seven bout card begins at 7:30pm.
In the “BATALLA EN EL COLISEO” main event, hard-hitting Wilfredo ‘Papin’ Negron (25-8, 19 KOs) of Toa Alta, Puerto Rico, will face Guadalajara, Mexico’s Juan Carlos ‘El Camello’ Rodriguez (50-20-2, 34 KOs) in a 12 round bout for the WBA Fedecentro junior welterweight championship.
The co-feature on October 21st will pit Los Mochis, Mexico’s Jose Luis ‘Mapachito’ Soto-Karass (19-9, 17 KOs) against Vega Baja, Puerto Rico’s unbeaten Roman ‘Rocky’ Martinez (11-0-1, 7 KOs) in a super featherweight matchup scheduled for 10 rounds.
Also featured on the card will be rising Puerto Rican star Jonathan ‘Polvo’ Oquendo (6-0, 3 KOs), who faces David Vazquez (2-2-1) in a six round junior featherweight bout.
Wilfredo Negron is one of Puerto Rico’s most popular fighters due to his tendency to think knockout from bell to bell. An 11-year veteran of the ring, ‘Papin’ is currently riding a three fight winning streak that includes wins over quality opposition like Arturo Morua, Marteze Logan, and Arturo Urena. His opponent on October 21st, Juan Carlos Rodriguez, is the current Mexican National Champion and is also in his 17th year as a professional. In his last bout, on July 29, he outpointed Saul Duran over 10 rounds.
Hard-hitting Jose Luis Soto-Karass is an entertaining fighter with the willingness to battle anyone at anytime. A 26-year-old who has been in the ring with world-class standouts Kid Diamond, Mike Anchondo, and Urbano Antillon, Soto-Karass wants to give his opponent a rude welcome to the big time on October 21st. Unbeaten Roman ‘Rocky’ Martinez, the 2004 Puerto Rico Boxing Commission Prospect of The Year, should be up to the challenge though, as he is a two-fisted puncher with a champion’s heart, who has shown rapid improvement since his pro debut in 2001.
Vega Alta’s Jonathan Oquendo, Golden Boy’s first Puerto Rican signee, has impressed boxing insiders with his fast hands and veteran’s instincts in the ring. Since signing with Golden Boy, Oquendo has dazzled audiences with wins over Tim Carrizales and Elvis Martinez.
Tickets for “BATALLA EN EL COLISEO”, priced from $20 to $75, are on sale now, and can be purchased by calling 1-877-COLISEO, or by visiting www.coliseodepuertorico.com or www.ticketpop.com.
Latest Boxing News
- Trevor Bryan – Manuel Charr Not Happening On Friday – Bryan – Bermane Stiverne Instead?
- Who Was The Tougher Man – Arturo Gatti Or Micky Ward?
- Trevor “Hughroy” Currie – February 1959 to January 2021
- Vergil Ortiz Jr faces Maurice Hooker on March 20th in hometown battle
- Avni Yildirim looking powerful training for Canelo Alvarez on Feb.27th
- Devin Haney to fight on April 3rd
- Regis Prograis: I would beat Danny Garcia easy
- Julio Cesar Martinez battles McWilliams Arroyo on Feb.27th on Canelo undercard
- Eddie Hearn Says Joshua Will KO Fury
- Edgar Berlanga Interview: “David Benavidez is hating”
Next Boxing Events
- Charr vs Bryan ** Cancelled **
- Plant vs Truax – FOX – Jan. 30
- Kovalev Vs Melikuziev ** Cancelled **
- Warrington vs Lara – DAZN, SKY – Feb. 13
- Diaz Vs Rakhimov – DAZN – Feb. 13
- Joe Smith Jr Vs Vlasov – ESPN – Feb. 13
- Avanesyan vs Kelly – DAZN, SKY – Feb. 20
- Berchelt Vs Valdez – ESPN – Feb. 20
- Mayweather Vs Logan Paul – Fanmio – Feb 20
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport – Feb. 27
- Parker Vs Fa – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Canelo vs Yildirim – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 6
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
Latest Boxing Results:
- Stephen Fulton Jr beats Angelo Leo – Boxing Results
- Ra’eese Aleem stops Victor Pasillas – Boxing Results
- Mykquan Williams beats Yeis Solano – Boxing Results
- Fight Night Results From Ghana: Quaye, Dorgbetor & Aduku Win
- Photos: Ryan Garcia destroys Campbell, captures interim WBA 135lb title
- Ryan Garcia KOs Campbell – Boxing Results
- Garcia vs Campbell Live Fight Night Results, Photos & Quotes From Dallas
- Kazuto Ioka Looks Sensational In Stopping Kosei Tanaka – A Japanese Super Fight With Naoya Inoue Next?
- After First-Round KO Loss To Montiel, Surely The End For James Kirkland
- David O. Morrell destroys Gavronski, James Kirkland with KO Loss – Boxing Results