30.09.05 – James Toney defends his IBA heavyweight title against Dominick Guinn in the co-feature Saturday on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING (9:15 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the west coast). In a second 12-rounder, IBF heavyweight champion Chris Byrd risks his belt against No. 3 contender DaVarryl Williamson.
JAMES “LIGHTS OUT” TONEY (68-4-2, 43 KOs)
“I am ready to get down and roll and glad to be able to fight again after getting suspended from all the B.S. It makes me happy that Guinn thinks I am perfect for him because it will make it easier for me.
“I hope Guinn doesn’t run and will stand and fight like he says he wilI. This is going to be a real fight. I want to win impressively to show I am the world’s best heavyweight. I plan to make a statement.”
DOMINICK “THE SOUTHERN DISASTER” GUINN (25-2-1, 18 KOs)
“For me, Saturday is showtime. I am prepared to lay it all on the line. For me this is it. I have a great opportunity and now it is up to me to seize upon it. All fighters say at press conferences that they had a great training camp and are in great shape, but I truly did have a great camp and truly am in great shape.
“It’s all about winning now – not only for me but for my family. This is going to be the fight of my life.”
CHRIS BYRD (38-2-1, 20 KOs)
“I want to thank SHOWTIME and everyone involved for making this fight happen. DaVarryl and I know each other very well and he is confident and that is the way he should be. But no one wants to lose to a friend. My thing is, this is a 12-round fight and that no matter what happens the first few rounds, the last half of the fight belongs to me. It is my world. That is when I really pick it up.
“DaVarryl is in great shape, but I feel I am the best-conditioned heavyweight in the world. I am like a chameleon in the ring – you never know what to expect. This is going to be a great fight with two guys with a lot of heart and skills. But I fully expect to retain my title and move on to bigger things.”
DAVARRYL “TOUCH OF SLEEP” WILLIAMSON (22-3, 18 KOs)
“What a difference a year makes. Last year, I was fighting Wladimir Klitschko on SHOWTIME and now I am fighting for a world title. I am nervous but that is how I feel before every fight, so it is a good sign. I have waited my whole life for this chance, and now it is all about winning on Saturday.
“Style-wise, I have the movement and strength, as well as the right hand, to make things very interesting for Chris. I like to think I will have the edge in the later rounds. I am coming into the fight perfectly. I am not afraid about losing a close fight by decision. If I do my job, the judges will do theirs.”
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+, BoxNation, Premier Sports – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results