31.03.05 – By Jim Amato: It has to happen. The time has finally come. The long and boring title tenure of John Ruiz is about to end. On April 30th in New York’s Madison Square Garden, Ruiz will take on James Toney. The WBA heavyweight title that Ruiz has held for several unexciting years will be on the line.. Except for a short period of time after Roy Jones Jr. slapped him silly and “borrowed” the title, Ruiz has claimed to be king. Roy decided to give up the “title” to return to the light heavyweight division. Ruiz was able to again “reclaim” the championship.
During the time that Ruiz has claimed a piece of the heavyweight pie has anyone really taken him seriously? Was Ruiz ever really acclaimed to be the best heavyweight in the world? It is very, very doubtful. Honestly, does anyone really think that Ruiz could have defeated Lennox Lewis or Vitali Klitschko? Heck, even the speedy but light hitting Chris Byrd is probably held in higher regard than Ruiz.
John Ruiz has a chance to change all the conceptions and opinions of him come April 30th. James Toney is a former middleweight and super middleweight champion and a long time light heavyweight contender. He also held the cruiserweight title after defeating Vassily Jirov in a highly entertaining bout. James cracked the heavyweight ranks by giving the great Evander Holyfield a thrashing that “Iron” Mike Tyson could only dream of inflicting upon Evander. Ruiz refers to Toney as a middleweight. Hey John, I got a news flash for you, Toney is a legit threat to your title!
Why do I not see Ruiz winning this fight? Simple. He will be in with a master boxer. A true artist of his trade. I took me years to really appriciate the style and talent of James Toney. All I see is an awkwardly aggressive Ruiz coming forward trying to intimidate Toney and force the action. As hard as Ruiz will try, all he will really connect with are arms and shoulders. Meanwhile, a patient and observing Toney will see openings for his vaunted counterpunches. In the time it takes to say “ouch”, Toney will have set the tempo for the fight. Needless to say, I can’t see him relinquishing it.
There will be times when Ruiz will trap Toney on ropes and flail away. Toney will take a few shots but avoid the majority of the onslaught. However, Toney will then proceed to put on a counterpunching clinic, which will likely cause Ruiz’s output to drop to almost zero. If John Ruiz is nothing else, he is courageous. He will take his punishment like a man, and as the bout continues, he will be taking it in large doses. I see Toney battering Ruiz around the ring in the later rounds before finally a merciful referee will jump in to save Ruiz from further punishment and us fans from a further Ruiz reign.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+, BoxNation, Premier Sports – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results