08.05.04 – By Tony Nobbs: Lovemore Ndou gets the opportunity to shock the boxing world on Saturday night when he battles unbeaten Puerto Rican star Miguel Cotto in the chief support to Pacquaio – Marquez at the MGM Grand in Las vegas. Ndou (38-6-124 KO) and Cotto (19-0, 16 KO) go at it for the IBF number one position in the jnr welterweight division. Cotto’s WBA Fedebox and WBC International belts are also on the line and the 32 year old South African born fighter from Sydney, Australia vows he won’t be intimidated by his 23 year old opponents reputation. In Ndou’s last bout in the states on February 7 he gave Sharmba Mitchell a tough night in Atlantic City losing a unanimous decision that many fans and experts thought he won. Ndou’s Melbourne based manager Stuart Duncan, in predicting an upset told Eastside that he expects this bout to not go to the scorecards. “Lovemore has had a longer preparation than he did for Sharmba. It was his fight with Sharmba that gave us the profile to land this fight. We are very grateful for the fight with Miguel Cotto. We have the upmost respect for Miguel and his team but Lovemore will not dissapoint. I will go as far as to say Lovemore will knock him out.”
Ndou and his management have been very vocal in letting it known they will take on any of the divisions elite and the ‘Black Panther’ has stated that he believes Cotto was pushed into fighting him by HBO. Against Mitchell, the Roy Alexander trained Ndou proved he can hack it in the top ten and will go into this fight as the hot Cotto’s most in form opponent. “A credible loss will not hurt Lovemore but a win will really put him in the position to get a return with Sharmba and then maybe an All Australian world title fight with Kostya Tszyu”.
Against Mitchell, Ndou showed why he was rated at one time as high as number two for Stevie Johnson’s WBC lightweight title. He will need another inspired performance to conquer Cotto. Australian fight fans will be hoping he can revenge fellow Sydney boxer Anthony Mundine’s loss to Cotto’s countryman Manny Siaca this past Wednesday. Following Lovemore’s career since he permanently based Down Under in 1996, having sat in his corner for one fight and against him in two, on his night, anything is possible. At the official weigh-in Friday, Cotto scaled 139 lb, Ndou 138.
Latest Boxing News
- Froch: Chisora will show us if Usyk belongs at heavyweight
- Prograis vs Heraldez: Regis Prograis Training Camp Quotes
- “Gervonta Davis can put you to sleep with either hand,” Floyd Mayweather
- “We Gotta Clean This Sport Of Boxing Up,” Says Floyd Mayweather – “It’s Too Many Belts”
- The Erik Morales – McCullough War: A Fight Wayne McCullough Says He’d Have Won Had It Been 15 Rounds
- Carlos Cuadras battles Juan Francisco Estrada this Friday night
- Carlos Takam Enters The Tyson Fury Picture
- Teofimo Lopez Not Buying Vasyl Lomachenko’s Shoulder Injury “Excuse”
- Bob Arum confident Crawford vs. Brook will be shown in UK on Nov.14
- Is It Too Late For Evgeny Romanov To Make It Big In The Heavyweight Division?
From The Boxing Forums
- Juan Manuel Marquez Had Lomachenko Winning 116-112...
- 130-140 is about to get interesting
- Australian Boxing/SM Memorial thread
- Luís Torres vs. Orlando Jesús Alonso Zepeda & Lester Normandy Martínez Tut vs. Michi Muñoz RBR
- HBO and media backed the wrong fighters
- Julie Lederman's 119-109 Card - Was it Fair, Crazy, Corrupt?
- Sergey Lipinets this weekend. Thoughts on this badass.
- Teofimo Lopez calls Lomachenko a “basic fighter” and “expected more from him”
- Can Loma still be great?
- Lomachenko Lopez..round 2
Latest Boxing Results:
- Teofimo Lopez dominates Vasily Lomachenko, Arum furious at judge
- Photos: Lopez Jr. upsets Lomachenko, Edgar Berlanga Goes 15 for 15
- Teofimo Lopez beats Vasily Lomachenko – Boxing Results
- Michael McKinson and Jay Harris both win – Boxing results
- Lewis Ritson defeats Vazquez – Boxing Results
- Robin Krasniqi upsets Bösel, Peter Kadiru defeats Gorst – Boxing Results
- KO Wins In Canada For David Lemieux and Arslanbek Makhmudov
- Liam Williams obliterates Robinson, wants Andrade – Boxing Results
- Maxi Hughes beats Viktor Kotochigov – Boxing Results
- Emanuel Navarrete decisions Ruben Villa to capture WBO 126-lb title – Boxing Results