26.02.04 – By Matthew Hurley: With the release of “Against The Ropes”, a film loosely based on the life of boxing manager Jackie Kallen, it occurred to me just how well boxing lends itself to the big screen. With the exception of baseball no other sport can create such dramatic tension, heartbreak and excitement as boxing. Here then, in no particular order, are ten boxing or boxing related films that this corner deems required viewing.
10. Gentleman Jim – Errol Flynn has a ball as the dapper heavyweight champion Jim Corbett. Along with “The Adventures Of Robin Hood” this is Flynn at his roughish best.
9. Rocky – Despite the ridiculous fight scenes, the first Rocky film is as crowd pleasing as a sports movie can get. Forget the sequels which just got progressively worse, Rocky deserved the 1976 Academy Award for best picture and made a star out of writer Sylvester Stallone – although I’m not too sure that’s a good thing.
8. On The Waterfront – Marlon Brando as Terry Malloy. This movie belongs on the list for the famous speech he gives to his brother played by Rod Steiger alone. Arguably director Elia Kazan’s finest moment.
7. Requiem For A Heavyweight – Rod Serling’s television play brought to the big screen with a heartbreaking performance by Anthony Quinn as down and out heavyweight “Mountain” Rivera. With Mickey Rooney, Jackie Gleason, a young Cassius Clay and cameos by several old time fighters. When Quinn is forced to wear an Indian head dress as a wrestler even the most cynical man in the room will feel a tug at his heart.
6. The Champ – The original, not the Jon Voigt remake. Wallace Beery as a broken down fighter who makes a comeback to get money for his hero-worshipping son played by Jackie Cooper.
5. Somebody Up There Likes Me – Paul Newman in one of his best roles as middleweight Rocky Graziano. With the great Newman in the lead how can you go wrong?
4. The Harder They Fall – Humphrey Bogart as a cynical sportswriter who becomes a press agent and witnesses how badly fighters are treated by managers and promoters. Little has changed.
3. Fat City – Vastly underrated film staring Jeff Bridges and Stacy Keach and directed by John Huston. It’s an unflinching look at one fighter on the way up and another on the way down.
2. Ali – A very flawed film but enlivened by a surprisingly good performance by Will Smith. The reenactment of “The Rumble In The Jungle” is worth the price of admission alone.
1. Raging Bull – Martin Scorscese opened the 1980’s with this, it’s best film, and closed it in 1989 with Goodfellas, it’s closest competitor. Robert Deniro’s portrayal of Jake Lamatta is so searing in its emotion he has never topped it. Also terrific are Cathy Moriati, Joe Pesci and Nicholas Colasanto.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+ – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results