By James Slater: According to Top Rank boss and promoter of superstar Manny Pacquiao, Tim Bradley is out of the running as far as Manny’s November 10th opponent goes. As quoted by The Manila Times, Arum said there is simply not enough fan interest in a Pacquiao-Bradley II, despite, or maybe because of, the controversial nature of the June 9th fight that Bradley somehow won via decision.
By James Slater: A year or so ago, fans either labelled the fight a mismatch or a joke, while others still said it would never actually happen anyway. I’m talking about the fast-approaching genuine grudge-match that is September 15th’s Sergio Gabriel Martinez-Julio Cesar Chavez Junior middleweight title fight showdown.
By James Slater: While London 2012 Olympic super-heavyweight gold medallist Anthony Joshua says he will stay an amateur and shoot for more gold in Rio in 2016, the man who was closely, controversially out-pointed by the Londoner says he plans to join the pro ranks soon.
Italy’s amateur great Roberto Cammarelle, still angered and dismayed at the countback decision that went against him this past Sunday, would possibly make an exciting addition to today’s heavyweight ranks. As experienced as they come at amateur level – with a bronze, a gold and, most recently, a silver medal being claimed at Olympic games; along with a number of honours at European and world amateur level also won – Cammarelle has already shared a ring with a few recognizable pro names.
By Robert Jackson: 3 days and counting to Money Mayweather’s release from Las Vegas County Jail…unless he beats up a guard between now and then. Well anyway, upon Mayweather’s release the boxing world will be wondering whom Lil Floyd will fight next, and whether he’ll be fighting again in 2012.
By James Slater: The rumours regarding a Ricky Hatton return to the ring refuse to go away. For weeks now, we’ve heard about the 33-year-old’s drastic loss in weight, we’ve also heard former Hatton foe and reigning WBA welterweight king Paulie Malignaggi offer his former conqueror a rematch. Clearly, there is something to the rumours and, in a news article by The Manchester Evening News (THE place for any news Hatton related), there is talk of a date – well, nearly.
By Paul Strauss: After conducting its own independent investigation, The International Boxing Federation (IBF) has decided to allow Lamont Peterson the right to defend his Jr. Welterweight title. This of course is in lieu of VADA’s (Voluntary Anti-Doping Association) revelation that Peterson tested positive for a banned substance. As most fans know, the banned substance was testosterone.
By Robert Jackson: A very intriguing fight by all estimates, hopefully Ward/Dawson measures up to the hype. In one corner we have Chad Dawson reigning 175lb king with hopes of dominating the 168lb-175lb weight classes, dropping down in weight for a 168lb showdown. In the other corner we have Andre Ward recent winner of the Super 6, 168lb championship.
By James Slater: Retired heavyweight great Lennox Lewis, who saw an Olympic gold medal pave the way towards a sensational, mega-bucks pro career, said 22-year-old Anthony Joshua would be able to do the same as he did if he won Olympic gold at London 2012.
“In every Tyson fight you could feel the electricity in the air” – Tom Casino
Exclusive Interview by Geoffrey Ciani – I recently had the opportunity to have a very nice discussion with one of the best boxing photographers in the business, Tom Casino (pictured alongside Mike Tyson circa 1985).… read more “Exclusive Interview with Boxing Photographer Tom Casino (Rare Photos Inside!)”
By James Slater: In sad news today, former WBA heavyweight champ Mike “Dynamite” Dokes, who had been battling stomach and liver cancer, passed away a few hours ago. The former Olympian was just 54-years-old.