NEW YORK, (July 29, 2012) In front of a packed house on Saturday night at The Paramount in Huntington, New York, hometown favorite Chris Algieri improved to 15-0-0 (7KO’s), with an excellent performance against tough Texas fighter Raul Tovar in the eight round junior welterweight headliner at “ROCKIN FIGHTS 4”.
Five other bouts were featured at “ROCKIN FIGHTS 4”, all of which had the huge crowd on their feet throughout.
Said Star Boxing’s Joe DeGuardia, “It was a terrific evening for fight fans in the New York City area. Chris Algieri continues to improve, Cletus Seldin continues to blaze his trail of sensational knockouts and the undercard provided excellent boxing and more fireworks throughout the evening.”
“It was a great way to celebrate our 20th Anniversary and I’m also very happy that fans across the globe were able to watch these fights on the Internet through the Go Fight Live website. “
Despite being tested by Tovar throughout the bout, Algieri was able to adapt to changes in tactics from the Mission, Texas native and utilize his speed and boxing skills to consistently score points throughout the bout.
Tovar came on strong late in the bout but Algieri maintained his composure and continued to control the action.
Scores at the end of the eight rounds were 78-74 and 77-75 twice. With the hard fought loss, the game Tovar moves to 10-6-1 (4KO’s).
In the co-main event, welterweight slugger Cletus ‘The Hebrew Hammer” Seldin dropped a massive right hand on Jonathan Garcia of San Juan, Puerto Rico, drilling him to the canvas in the first round causing a halt to the bout at the 2:18 mark of the stanza.
With the win, Seldin improved to 8-0-0 with the six stoppages while Garcia fell to 3-3-1 (1KO).
In an eight round New York State Junior Lightweight Title bout, Manny Gonzalez from the Bronx stayed unbeaten with a hard fought performance over Yonkers’ Chazz McDowell. Scores at the end of the bout were 78-71 twice and 77-72 for Gonzalez who improved to 11-0-0 (7KO’s), while McDowell moved to 6-2-0 (1KO).
In a brutal four round slugfest, newcomers Raul Nuncio of Glen Cove, New York and the Bronx’s Enver Halili went to war from the opening bell with a “bombs away” attitude throughout their junior middleweight bout.
At the end of the battle Halili was awarded a majority decision upping his record to 2-0-0 (1KO), while Nuncio moved to 2-1-1 (1KO).
Huntington native Alan Gotay made a splash in his pro debut with a first round knockout of Brooklyn’s Ian James, 2-4-0 (1KO) in a scheduled four round junior welterweight bout.
Popular Hicksville, New York native Anthony Karperis dropped Travis McElhaney of Grand Rapids, Michigan with a massive right hand, earning a first round stoppage in their junior welterweight tilt. Karperis improved to 2-0-0 (1KO) while McElhaney fell to 0-2-0.
Latest Boxing News
- RIP Larry King – The “Muhammad Ali Of The Broadcast Interview”
- Andre Ward On Former Foe Kovalev’s Failed Drugs Test: I’m Not Surprised
- Floyd Mayweather Vs. Logan Paul Exhibition Postponed; A Distinct Lack Of Interest The Reason
- Eddie Hearn thinks Joshua vs. Fury will pay them Mayweather money
- Ralph “Tiger” Jones – The Greatest Fighter To Ever Drive A Taxi Cab
- Nigel Benn Added Immense Excitement To The 160/168 Pound Divisions In The ’80s And ’90’s – Imagine If He Was In His Prime Today!
- Srisaket Sor Rungvisai Meets Kwanthai Sithmorseng on March 12, Live on DAZN
- Caleb Plant: I definitely see Canelo fight happening this year
- Leo vs. Fulton & Aleem vs. Pasillas: Showtime Showcase’s 122-pound Division
- 48 Years On And George Foreman’s Brutal Destruction Of Joe Frazier Is Still Frightening To Watch
Next Boxing Events
- Charr vs Bryan – DonKing.com – Jan. 29
- Plant vs Truax – FOX – Jan. 30
- Kovalev Vs Melikuziev ** Cancelled **
- Warrington vs Lara – DAZN, SKY – Feb. 13
- Diaz Vs Rakhimov – DAZN – Feb. 13
- Joe Smith Jr Vs Vlasov – ESPN – Feb. 13
- Avanesyan vs Kelly – DAZN, SKY – Feb. 20
- Berchelt Vs Valdez – ESPN – Feb. 20
- Mayweather Vs Logan Paul – Fanmio – Feb 20
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport – Feb. 27
- Parker Vs Fa – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Canelo vs Yildirim – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 6
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
Latest Boxing Results:
- Mykquan Williams beats Yeis Solano – Boxing Results
- Fight Night Results From Ghana: Quaye, Dorgbetor & Aduku Win
- Photos: Ryan Garcia destroys Campbell, captures interim WBA 135lb title
- Ryan Garcia KOs Campbell – Boxing Results
- Garcia vs Campbell Live Fight Night Results, Photos & Quotes From Dallas
- Kazuto Ioka Looks Sensational In Stopping Kosei Tanaka – A Japanese Super Fight With Naoya Inoue Next?
- After First-Round KO Loss To Montiel, Surely The End For James Kirkland
- David O. Morrell destroys Gavronski, James Kirkland with KO Loss – Boxing Results
- Canelo vs. Callum Smith post-fight analysis
- Ilunga Makabu Stops Olanrewaju Durodola In Slugfest – Boxing Results