by Kelsey McCarson, theboxingstop.com – After Sugar Shane Mosley (46-5, 39 Kos) demolished Antonio “El Cheato” Margarito” last January, the 37 year old star was seemingly on top of the world. Mosley, unmistakably one of the best fighters of his era, had not only upset the heavily favored Margarito, but he had also put himself in line for another big fight payday.
Or had he?
While everybody and their mom these days seems ready to jump in the ring with any other welterweight in the world, somehow one the division’s biggest stars (and champions) has been left out. How’d it happen?
Fellow welterweights Miguel Cotto and Joshua Clottey square off next weekend in a much anticipated bout on HBO.. Meanwhile, former welterweight champion and resident most-hated-boxer-on-the-planet Floyd Mayweather, Jr. is getting ready to fight lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez in a tune-up fight before every fan in the world hopes he gets into the ring with current super world-beater Manny Pacquiao. Andre Berto and Juan Urango are scheduled to fight May 30, Zab Judah is fighting Mathew Hatton on the Mayweather-Marquez undercard, Carlos Quintana will be letting his fists fly on ESPN’s Friday Night Fights soon and Luis Collazo—well he’s already been vanquished by Mosley.
So who does that leave Mosley to fight? Would Manny Pacquiao give up a potential bigger payday against Mayweather to fight the very dangerous Shane Mosley? His trainer, Freddy Roach, says he might but the smart money says he’ll wait on Floyd. Is there anyone in the division left for Shane to fight?
The most avoided boxer in the world, Paul Williams, looks to have left the welterweight division for good. Unable to secure paydays at 147, Williams is not campaigning at 154 and 160. The only other currently rated top 10 welterweights in the world by Ring Magazine are Isaac Hlatsway from South Africa and Vyacheslav Senchenko from the Ukraine. Those guys maybe talented fighters, but they wouldn’t exactly be big paydays for Mosley and neither of them actually deserve a title shot at this point in their careers.
So Shane Mosley will just have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully, things will just sort themselves out soon, because one of the best welterweights in the world and arguably the top dog at 147 should not be left out in the cold in what appears to be the deepest division in the sport. Let’s hope we see Shane in a big fight again soon, because boxing is better when its best stars are in the ring.
Latest Boxing News
- Inoue vs Moloney Final Presser Quotes And Photos
- Usyk vs Chisora Final Presser Quotes And Photos
- Davis Vs. Santa Cruz Final Presser Quotes And Photos
- Barrera vs Morales IV? Yet Another Exhibition Between Two Legends In The Works
- Dave Allen-Christopher Lovejoy Fight In Jeopardy As Don King Steps In
- On This Day 60 Years Ago: Clay Vs. Hunsaker And The Birth Of A Legend
- Deontay Wilder Posts Rare Twitter Message, But It’s Nothing To Do With His Own Career
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr LIVE on BT Sport Box Office (UK) & FITE TV (USA) on Nov. 28th
- Watch LIVE: Jaime Munguia vs Tureano Johnson Weigh In Livestream
- Watch LIVE: Naoya Inoue – Jason Moloney Final Presser Livestream
From The Boxing Forums
- When Garcia beats Campbell....
- Best Juanma fights?
- How good is Derek Chisora?
- POLL - Inoue vs Moloney - your pick and prediction
- HTF Did Dmitry Bivol Survive This Nuke From Joe Smith Jr.???
- **Julio Cesar Chavez says he'd whoop Lopez and Loma the same night**
- Who will likely be heavyweight champions in the next 5 years?
- A boxing question
- ( o ) ( o ) SUPER STACKED SATURDAY ( o )( o )
- Australian Boxing/SM Memorial thread
Latest Boxing Results:
- Photos: Lipinets and unbeaten Clayton fight to 12 round majority draw
- Juan Francisco Estrada TKOs Carlos Cuadras – Boxing Results
- Estrada defeats Cuadras; Chocolatito and Martinez both win
- Teofimo Lopez dominates Vasily Lomachenko, Arum furious at judge
- Photos: Lopez Jr. upsets Lomachenko, Edgar Berlanga Goes 15 for 15
- Teofimo Lopez beats Vasily Lomachenko – Boxing Results
- Michael McKinson and Jay Harris both win – Boxing results
- Lewis Ritson defeats Vazquez – Boxing Results
- Robin Krasniqi upsets Bösel, Peter Kadiru defeats Gorst – Boxing Results
- KO Wins In Canada For David Lemieux and Arslanbek Makhmudov