22.02.07 – By Michael Marley, Boxingconfidential.com – They will never write a “Rocky’ script as strange as this. Tommy “The Duke” Morrison, who played in a “Rocky” boxing movie as fighter “Tommy Gunn,” launched his ring comeback last night in Chester, West Va., with a two-round KO over well-chosen punch bag John “White” Castle Thursday night.
The fight, at the Mountaineer Racetrack, was Morrison’s first since he blasted out hapless Marcus Rhode in one round in Tokyo in 1997. In 1996, Morrison was virtually banned from boxing as repeated tests showed he was HIV positive. This KO over 4-3 Castle, who is from Indianapolis, came at 1:49 of the second of four scheduled rounds. “Tommy had some rough going in rounds one and two,” an eyewitness reported by phone. “No doubt, Tommy lost the first round. He started walking Castle down in round two but Castle landed a few good punches. Morrison hit Castle right on the button and nothing happened.
Just when it looked like Morrison’s storybook comeback was a one-bout affair, he cracked Castle with the same type of left hook he used to discombobulate Donovan “Razor” Ruddock. Castle went down in a heap.”
Morrison, who may have a huge lawsuit against medical officials who diagnosed him as having the HIV virus, said recent tests show he does not have it.
Now 47-3-1 with 41 KOs, the 38-year-old Morrison will fight again presumably again under Bob Arum’s Top Rank banner.
Morrison’s return drew ringside coverage from media types from around the world.
Latest Boxing News
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Ryan Garcia exhibition to be “real fight” says Henry Garcia
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim tickets selling fast for February 27th fight
- Trevor Bryan – Manuel Charr Not Happening On Friday – Bryan – Bermane Stiverne Instead?
- Vergil Ortiz Jr faces Maurice Hooker on March 20th in hometown battle
- Who Was The Tougher Man – Arturo Gatti Or Micky Ward?
- Avni Yildirim looking powerful training for Canelo Alvarez on Feb.27th
- Devin Haney to fight on April 3rd
- Trevor “Hughroy” Currie – February 1959 to January 2021
- Regis Prograis: I would beat Danny Garcia easy
- Julio Cesar Martinez battles McWilliams Arroyo on Feb.27th on Canelo undercard
Next Boxing Events
- Charr vs Bryan ** Cancelled **
- Plant vs Truax – FOX – Jan. 30
- Kovalev Vs Melikuziev ** Cancelled **
- Warrington vs Lara – DAZN, SKY – Feb. 13
- Diaz Vs Rakhimov – DAZN – Feb. 13
- Joe Smith Jr Vs Vlasov – ESPN – Feb. 13
- Avanesyan vs Kelly – DAZN, SKY – Feb. 20
- Berchelt Vs Valdez – ESPN – Feb. 20
- Mayweather Vs Logan Paul – Fanmio – Feb 20
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport – Feb. 27
- Parker Vs Fa – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Canelo vs Yildirim – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 6
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
Latest Boxing Results:
- Stephen Fulton Jr beats Angelo Leo – Boxing Results
- Ra’eese Aleem stops Victor Pasillas – Boxing Results
- Mykquan Williams beats Yeis Solano – Boxing Results
- Fight Night Results From Ghana: Quaye, Dorgbetor & Aduku Win
- Photos: Ryan Garcia destroys Campbell, captures interim WBA 135lb title
- Ryan Garcia KOs Campbell – Boxing Results
- Garcia vs Campbell Live Fight Night Results, Photos & Quotes From Dallas
- Kazuto Ioka Looks Sensational In Stopping Kosei Tanaka – A Japanese Super Fight With Naoya Inoue Next?
- After First-Round KO Loss To Montiel, Surely The End For James Kirkland
- David O. Morrell destroys Gavronski, James Kirkland with KO Loss – Boxing Results