30.07.04 – By Jeff Bastasini: British heavyweight Danny Williams probably ended Mike Tyson’s boxing career on Friday night when he knocked him out at 2:51 of the 4th round in Louisville, Kentucky. From the opening bell, 38 year old Tyson pounded on Williams, but he somehow survived the onslaught. Two points were deducted from Williams in the third round for hitting low and for hitting on the break. This was probably one of the biggest upsets of all time, as Williams is considered mostly a 2nd tier heavyweight by many in the boxing world.
“People forget this isn’t a peak Mike Tyson. This was a Mike Tyson who was 38 years old,” Williams said. “I thought I could win.”
After dominating the first three rounds, Tyson (50-5) just seemed to suddenly get really old and tired. He lurched around the ring slowly in the 4th round, and seemed visibly winded from the pace he had set in the fight. Williams (32-3, 27 KOs) was then able to take charge of the bout, punishing Tyson with unanswered punches.
Late in the 4th round, Williams opened up with a storm of punches that badly hurt Tyson, who at this point was defenseless. Williams then tagged Tyson with two thundering right hands that dropped him to the canvas, laying against the ropes as the referee counted him out.
“I felt like I had him,” Williams said. “I just remember (Evander) Holyfield fighting him that Holyfield kept coming with shot after shot.”
“Every single round that went by, his punching power seemed to grow less,” Williams said. “So I knew I was going to take him out.”
With this devastating loss, Tyson’s future as a boxer becomes much more dim and uncertain. He had previously been hoping to fight seven bouts to satisfy his considerable financial debts, but after this performance, it’s unlikely that he will be getting anymore big future paydays. The only conclusion you can make about Tyson after this fight is that he’s finished as a fighter.
“I’m not sure where we’re going to go from here,” Roach said. “He’s 38 years old. We’ve got to consider that.”
There’s always Japan.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+, BoxNation, Premier Sports – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results