Let the Games Begin: Ward, Golden Boy, Schaefer, Broner, Khan & More!

Richard Schaefer - The year 2015 is starting off with a bang- not neccessarily in the ring, but definitely outside of it. The pieces on the chess board are moving into place and when the smoke clears, we will (maybe) have a better picture of the boxing landscape.

The year 2015 is starting off with a bang- not neccessarily in the ring, but definitely outside of it. The pieces on the chess board are moving into place and when the smoke clears, we will (maybe) have a better picture of the boxing landscape.

Andre Ward

Andre Ward’s frustrating court battle with Goossen Tutor apparently has come to an end. Jay Z’s Roc Nation announced the signing of Andre Ward during their initial boxing card last night in Madison Square Garden’s theatre.

What it Means

Read moreLet the Games Begin: Ward, Golden Boy, Schaefer, Broner, Khan & More!

Richard Schaefer leaves Golden Boy Promotions

Richard Schaefer - Richard Schaefer, the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, has resigned from the company as of today. This was no surprise as Schaefer and Oscar De La Hoya had recently bumped heads over the issue of mending the fence with Top Rank. De La Hoya was in favor of patching things up with Bob Arum and Top Rank, whereas Schaefer was against it.

Richard Schaefer, the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, has resigned from the company as of today. This was no surprise as Schaefer and Oscar De La Hoya had recently bumped heads over the issue of mending the fence with Top Rank. De La Hoya was in favor of patching things up with Bob Arum and Top Rank, whereas Schaefer was against it.

Schaefer had been with Golden Boy Promotions for 12 years and was a huge part of the company’s success. De La Hoya had the name, but Schaefer did a lot of the hard work in putting cards together and signing high quality fighters.

Read moreRichard Schaefer leaves Golden Boy Promotions

Richard Schaefer named 2013 Promoter of the Year by Sports Illustrated

schaefer3LOS ANGELES (Dec 26) – 2013 was one of the best years boxing has had in recent memory, and as Sports Illustrated recapped the past 12 months, it honored Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer as the iconic publication’s Promoter of the Year.

“This is obviously an unexpected award, but I’m very appreciative and honored,” said Schaefer. “But I must point out that a single person can’t do what Golden Boy Promotions has done in 2013, so I’d like to thank my staff, our fighters, our sponsors and TV partners for their continued support and efforts in 2013. In the end, this is all about the fans of our great sport and I will continue to deliver the best fights and fighters to them in 2014 and beyond.”

Read moreRichard Schaefer named 2013 Promoter of the Year by Sports Illustrated

Schaefer still wants Cotto vs. Alvarez

By Rob Smith: Richard Schaefer, the CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, isn’t going to let Miguel Cotto’s 12 round decision loss to WBA World junior middleweight champion Austin Trout from last Saturday night get in the way of a potential pay per view bout between Cotto and WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. Schaefer still wants to make the Cotto-Alvarez fight despite Cotto losing.

Schaefer said after the fight “There’s still a possibility we’ll see Canelo-Cotto fight.”

This doesn’t sit too well with Trout, who said “You’d think that he’d [Alvarez] be ready to fight me because I beat Miguel Cotto…I beat his brother [Rigoberto Alvarez]…He should want to fight me…There’s nothing left for him to do, besides fight a real junior middleweight, to get another belt. But that’s my thinking. Not everyone thinks like me apparently.”

Alvarez really wants the Cotto fight, and that was one of the three names that he insisted on Golden Boy Promotions getting for him for his next fight on May 4th. Cotto is the only one that Golden Boy can possibly get because Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Sergio Martinez, Alvarez’s other two choices, aren’t breaking down Golden Boy’s door to try and get the fight with Alvarez.

Read moreSchaefer still wants Cotto vs. Alvarez

Schaefer looking for an opponent for Malignaggi’s next fight

By Bill Phanco: WBA World welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi is in need of an opponent after his desired rematch against big British star Ricky Hatton fell through due to Hatton getting blasted out by Vyacheslav Senchenko last Saturday night in the UK. Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer is now looking at picking out Malignaggi’s next opponent from one of these fighters: Danny Garcia, Amir Khan, Andre Berto, and Adrien Broner, according to RingTV.

Malignaggi, 32, wants a big name for his next title defense and this may be his last chance to get a big name before gets beaten. Malignaggi almost lost his title in his last fight against fringe contender Pablo Cesar Cano, who Malignaggi barely beat by a 12 round decision last October in a 12 round split decision win. That fight showed that Malignaggi is vulnerable even against fringe level opposition, and that puts more pressure on Schaefer to try and get the biggest name he can because Malignaggi is so vulnerable.

Khan: He’s already beaten Malignaggi and Khan has his own problems right now having lost twice in a row.

Berto: This is winnable fight for Malignaggi but not an easy one because of Berto’s superior power. This wouldn’t be big fight for Malignaggi.

Read moreSchaefer looking for an opponent for Malignaggi’s next fight

Schaefer: Mayweather is interested in Robert Guerrero fight

Richard Schaefer - By Rob Smith: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer says that WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. is interested in facing WBC interim welterweight champion Robert Guerrero in 2013. Schaefer said to LA Times writer Lance Pugmire "Interest is there. It's a process, one that has begun. I have a site and date in mind."By Rob Smith: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer says that WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. is interested in facing WBC interim welterweight champion Robert Guerrero in 2013. Schaefer said to LA Times writer Lance Pugmire “Interest is there. It’s a process, one that has begun. I have a site and date in mind.”

If Mayweather takes the fight this will finally end Guerrero’s constant calling Mayweather out. He’s been wanting a fight with Mayweather for well over a year, and it’s been a source of comedy to some boxing fans because Guerrero was talking about a Mayweather fight even before he’d fought at welterweight. Now that Guerrero has beaten two of the top welterweights in Selcuk Aydin and Andre Berto no one is laughing anymore. They have to take Guerrero seriously, because he’s winning decisively and looking pretty sharp.

Guerrero gave Berto a real beating last Saturday night in a 12 round decision, swelling both of his eyes in the process. After the fight Guerrero declined an offer from Max Kellerman to fight a rematch against Berto, and instead said he wanted Mayweather next.

Read moreSchaefer: Mayweather is interested in Robert Guerrero fight