World Boxing Association (WBA) Mandatory challenger Isaac Ekpo (32-3, 25 KOs) from Abuja, Nigeria, and Rafael “Sweet Pea” Mensah (31-0, 23 KOs) from Accra Ghana both recently arrived to the U.S. with a new manager, new direction and first full training camps with trainer Stacy McKinley, to prepare for their upcoming world title fights.
Nigerian boxing chiefs and aficionados have declared an unwavering determination to see their own Isaac ‘Grenade’ Ekpo win the world title on home soil and are pushing hard to host his rematch with WBA Super Middleweight title holder, Tyron Zeuge of Germany.
Following the controversial and abrupt end to the two’s clash for the world title in Germany back in March this year, Ekpo (31-3, 24 KOs) received a hero’s welcome back home in Nigeria, with many boxing fans insisting he deserved the win which was handed to Zeuge (20-0-1, 11 KOs).
It is official, Ghana based Nigerian hitter, Isaac ‘Grenade’ Ekpo gets another opportunity to become a world champion on March 25 when he faces WBA super middleweight titlist, Tyron Zeuge in Germany.
Scheduled for the MBS Arena in Potsdam, Brandenburg, it will be the first defence of the belt the undefeated Zeuge (19-0-1, 11 KOs) won via a unanimous decision in a rematch against Giovanni De Carolis of Italy at the same venue back on November 5 last year.
Top boxing promoters in Nigeria have expressed keen interest in bringing the Tyron Zeuge versus Isaac Ekpo WBA super middleweight world championship to the West African country.
The WBA world championship committee only this week ordered that Zeuge (19-0-1, 11 KOs) of Germany mandatorily defend the title against the WBA number 3 rated Ekpo (31-2, 24 KOs) who previously lost a decision in Germany to Robert Stieglitz when he challenged for the WBO super middleweight belt back in 2013.
Former world title challenger, Isaac ‘Grenade’ Ekpo of Nigeria has called out Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, Lucian Bute, Felix Sturm, Fedor Chudinov and all the top Super Middleweights in world boxing, declaring his readiness to face any of them in the ring.
Ekpo (31-2, 24 KOs), the former WBO Africa and Commonwealth champion at Super Middleweight, previously lost a decision in a bid for the WBO Super Middleweight world title against Robert Stieglitz in Germany in October 2013.
After racking up nine straight victories since the defeat to Stieglitz, Ekpo who is currently rated number 5 Super Middleweight in the world by both the WBO and WBA says he is ready to take on the big guns in the sport to cement his place in boxing history.
Former world title challenger, Isaac ‘Grenade’ Ekpo is confident he is ready to have another crack at a championship and is eyeing an immediate date against Romanian born, Lucian Bute.
The Nigerian fighter has racked up seven straight victories since his WBO Super Middleweight world title loss to Robert Stieglitz in Germany in October 2013, in the process winning the Commonwealth title as well as regaining the WBO Africa crown he previously vacated.
Former world title challenger, Isaac Ekpo (26-2, 19 KOs) is craving another opportunity for a shot at global championship and has targeted taking on the very best Super Middleweights in world boxing most notably George Groves.
World title chasing Ekpo AKA Grenade, won again when he fought in the Republic of Benin on May 9, 2015 following a round 3 TKO over Ibrahim Marshall in a bout that was fought at Light Heavyweight limit.
But Ekpo, the Ghana based Nigerian would stay at Super Middleweight and wait for his chance against the big boys of the division, he has exclusively told Boxing247.com adding that he has a keen interest in the fight between Andre Dirrel and James DeGale on May 23.
Nigeria’s reigning Commonwealth Super Middleweight champion, Isaac Ekpo has called the bluff of George Groves, Carl Froch, Callum Smith, Steven Smith and other highly rated Super Middleweights in world boxing.
Ghana-based Ekpo (25-2, 18 KOs) who fought for the WBO Super Middleweight world title in a decision loss to Robert Stieglitz in Germany in October 2013, has targeted another crack at the world championship but first he wants to beat some top boxers in his weight division and he is talking tough.
“I am ready for the top Super Middleweights in the UK like Steven Smith, brother of Callum who is fighting for the WBO Super Middleweight title on February 28 in Germany, that’s the perfect fight I am looking for,” Ekpo told Boxing247.com exclusively in Accra.
Newly crowned Commonwealth and WBO Africa Super Middleweight champion, Isaac Ekpo is eyeing an immediate re-crack at the world title itself after revealing his desire to face the winner of the upcoming WBO Super Middleweight championship between champion, Arthur Abraham and Paul Smith.
Ekpo previously lost a decision in a bid for the same WBO title against Robert Stieglitz in Germany last year, the same opponent Arthur Abraham defeated in March to wrestle away the title.
Abraham subsequently successfully defended the belt against Nikola Sjekloca at the end of May and is now aiming at a second successful defence against 31 year old British Super Middleweight champion, Paul Smith at Kiel, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany on September 27.
Ekpo who only last month won both the Commonwealth and WBO Africa titles on the back of a convincing victory in Accra, says he is ready to finally achieve his boxing ambition of world championship glory and believes he can overcome the challenge any of Arthur Abraham or Paul Smith could present. And he wants a chance without delay to prove his case.
Ghana based Nigerian pugilist, Isaac Ekpo has been awarded mandatory status by the Commonwealth Boxing Council (CBC) for their Super Middleweight championship.
The title has become vacant following the failure of Ghana’s Charles Adamu The Crusader to annex it last Saturday after a unanimous decision loss to hitherto champion, Rocky Fielding who was stripped of the belt even before he faced Adamu for failing to make the weight.
According to the CBC bulletin released on 16th March 2014, the Board of Directors of the CBC voted unanimously for the former world title contender to be next in line to battle for the 168 lbs Commonwealth championship.
Ekpo who fought for the WBO world title against Robert Stieglitz in Germany on October 19 last year and is a stable mate of Charles Adamu has welcomed the news as the perfect opportunity to re-launch his career.