By James Slater: It has been reported by Ringtv.com that 40-year-old Tony Thompson is now the IBF mandatory challenger for Wladimir Klitschko, who holds the Ring Magazine, WBA, WBO and IBO belts along with his IBF title. Thompson was made such due to the way his final eliminator with “Fast” Eddie Chambers, originally set for October, fell apart again when rearranged for December 17th.
It was thought Chambers, who injured his back in sparring, would be able to make the new date, but this is not the case.
“They had been rescheduled to fight on December 17th, but we found out yesterday that Eddie Chambers was not going to be able to participate,” IBF President Darryl Peoples told Ringtv.com.
So, without having had to fight again since his May 2011 victory over Maurice Harris (a 3rd-round TKO win for “The Tiger”), Thompson, 36-2(24) is in line for a rematch with the Champion who stopped him in the 11th-round back in July of 2008. Since that loss, Thompson has reeled off five straight wins, all of them coming by TKO. As deserving as any other U.S heavyweight you care to mention, Thompson’s main problem may be getting the fans interested in a return between he and “Dr. Steel Hammer.”
The younger of the two Klitschkos looks unbeatable right now, and after he’s dealt with former cruiserweight ruler Jean Marc Mormeck on Dec. 10th (a fight most, if not all, see as a terribly easy night’s work for Wladimir), fans may find it hard to pay out to see him in there with a guy he has already KO’d.
But will Wladimir look Thompson’s way next? His IBF belt and the mandatory obligation aside, Klitschko has spoken of wanting to face exciting Mexican/American Chris Arreola in his first fight of 2012. That fight would likely prove easier to sell than Klitschko-Thompson II. Maybe “The Tiger,” a guy who has paid his dues, will get his shot at Wladimir after the Arreola fight – unless of course “The Nightmare” scores a big upset next spring!
As for the gifted and talented Chambers, it is unclear where his immediate career is going. Still young at age 29, it is hoped the Philly slickster’s back problem will not keep him out for too long. Winner of one fight since his own late-rounds KO loss at the hands of Wladimir, Chambers will hopefully come again strong in 2012.
Latest Boxing News
- Julio Cesar Martinez battles McWilliams Arroyo on Feb.27th on Canelo undercard
- Eddie Hearn Says Joshua Will KO Fury
- Edgar Berlanga Interview: “David Benavidez is hating”
- Joyce vs Usyk Looking Likely For WBO Interim Title
- Mikey Garcia reacts to Manny Pacquiao vs. Ryan Garcia fight
- DiBella wants Wilder to face Andy Ruiz Jr, not Charles Martin
- Exhibition: Ryan Garcia vs. Manny Pacquiao
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Ryan Garcia: Age Vs. Youth, Speed Vs. Speed, Experience Vs. Enthusiasm
- Watch LIVE: Manuel Charr vs Trevor Bryan live stream on FITE TV
- Devin Haney Refers To Floyd Mayweather As “The Michael Jordan Of Boxing”
Next Boxing Events
- Charr vs Bryan – FITE TV – Jan. 29
- Plant vs Truax – FOX – Jan. 30
- Kovalev Vs Melikuziev ** Cancelled **
- Warrington vs Lara – DAZN, SKY – Feb. 13
- Diaz Vs Rakhimov – DAZN – Feb. 13
- Joe Smith Jr Vs Vlasov – ESPN – Feb. 13
- Avanesyan vs Kelly – DAZN, SKY – Feb. 20
- Berchelt Vs Valdez – ESPN – Feb. 20
- Mayweather Vs Logan Paul – Fanmio – Feb 20
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport – Feb. 27
- Parker Vs Fa – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Canelo vs Yildirim – DAZN – Feb. 27
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 6
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
Latest Boxing Results:
- Stephen Fulton Jr beats Angelo Leo – Boxing Results
- Ra’eese Aleem stops Victor Pasillas – Boxing Results
- Mykquan Williams beats Yeis Solano – Boxing Results
- Fight Night Results From Ghana: Quaye, Dorgbetor & Aduku Win
- Photos: Ryan Garcia destroys Campbell, captures interim WBA 135lb title
- Ryan Garcia KOs Campbell – Boxing Results
- Garcia vs Campbell Live Fight Night Results, Photos & Quotes From Dallas
- Kazuto Ioka Looks Sensational In Stopping Kosei Tanaka – A Japanese Super Fight With Naoya Inoue Next?
- After First-Round KO Loss To Montiel, Surely The End For James Kirkland
- David O. Morrell destroys Gavronski, James Kirkland with KO Loss – Boxing Results