29.12.06 – By Paul McCreath: On Saturday January 6th, in Miami Florida, James Toney and Sam Peter will meet in a 12 round WBC heavyweight title eliminator rematch of their previous Sept 2nd bout. The first match ended with Peter gaining a controversial 12 round decision and the WBC, in their wisdom, decided that another fight was necessary to decide who would be the mandatory challenger for Oleg Maskaev.
The first meeting of these two men was hard to predict and this one is no easier. They are very evenly matched and Toney has a wide edge in technical skills and experience, while Peter is much bigger and stronger and hits harder. In order to try to pick a winner in this fight, we have to look at what might be different this time.
First of all, both fighters fight about the same way every time. With Peter, it is all about power and pressure, using his strength to wear down his opponent. Toney, on the other hand, is much more the defensive wizard, hard to hit and able to counter effectively. Since he has by far the most technical skills, one might expect that he would have more ability to make subtle changes in his approach that could make a difference. Peter is pretty much one dimensional. Nevertheless, Peter is much younger and less likely to decline due to sudden aging, although this should not be a big factor only 4 months after the first match.
Conditioning is always a big question mark with these two. Toney has not been in top shape for years and Peter carries a lot of extra weight as well. This time, there is a new factor to consider, namely Billy Blanks, Toney’s new trainer. Now Billy is not really a boxing trainer but Toney does not need anyone to teach him how to box. He needs to get into proper shape and that is where Billy can help. This bout was only signed a bit more than a month before the fight date so both fighters will have less time than usual to fine tune their bodies. This is not enough for either to achieve prime conditioning although it might not matter much even if they had more time. It will, however, give Billy the time to at least make some improvements in Toney if he has the will power to follow the advice he is given.
For his first match with Peter, Toney weighed 233 pounds, which is four pounds less than for the Rahman fight. At least he was moving in the right direction. However, it’s not unreasonable to think he might make 225 lbs this time, which would help. Peter, on the other hand, came in at his heaviest ever, at 257 lbs, last time out and won the verdict of the judges. Will he get even heavier?
This one could again go either way. While I am definitely not a James Toney fan, I lean a bit this time towards another close decision, this time in Toney’s favor.
Latest Boxing News
- Mikey Garcia finalizing fight with Manny Pacquiao
- David Benavidez – Ronald Ellis on March 13th
- Jake Paul says Canelo Alvarez is ducking Benavidez and Andrade
- With Canelo-Saunders And Taylor-Ramirez Set, May Will Be One Massive Month For British Boxing
- Jose Ramirez, Josh Taylor to Battle for Undisputed Junior Welterweight Crown
- Caleb Plant gives Billy Joe Saunders “a good chance” of beating Canelo & wants the winner!
- Ryan Garcia Moves On From Pacquiao Dream Fight, Says He’s Working On Another Fight
- Antonio Tarver Vs. Frank Mir – What The Heck Can We Expect!?
- Tommy Fury: Jake Paul, you can fight me anytime and anywhere
- Andy Ruiz faces Chris Arreola on Fox PPV on Apr.24th
Next Boxing Events
- Bohachuk vs Adams – NBCSN – March 4
- Yoka vs Djeko – ESPN+, BoxNation, Premier Sports – March 5
- Shields vs Dicaire – FITE TV – March 5
- Lee vs Teah – Showtime – March 10
- Rungvisai vs Sithmorseng – DAZN – March 12
- Benavídez vs Ellis – Showtime – March 13
- Estrada Vs Gonzalez – DAZN – March 13
- Hughes vs Hyland – IFL, ESPN+ – March 19
- Okolie vs Glowacki – DAZN, SKY – March 20
- Beterbiev vs Deines – ESPN – March 20
- Ortiz Jr vs Hooker – DAZN – March 20
- Serrano vs Bermudez – NBCSN – March 25
- Povetkin vs Whyte 2 – DAZN, SKY – March 27
- Herring vs Frampton – BT Sport, ESPN – April 3
- Benn vs Vargas – DAZN, SKY – April 10
Latest Boxing Results:
- Kamshybek Kunkabayev wins first professional title – Boxing Results
- Daniele Scardina: New European Union champion – Boxing Results
- Pacheco defeats Rodolfo Gomez Jr. in Miami – Boxing Results
- WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman to review mandatory process following Canelo’s blowout win over Yildirim
- Yildirim got $2.5M, Canelo eight-figures for match
- Jerry “Slugger” Forrest Almost Upset “Big Bang” Zhang In “Miracle Draw”
- Canelo battered timid Yildirim
- Anthony Dirrell & Kyrone Davis Battle to Split Draw – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez destroys Avni Yildirim – Boxing Results
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Avni Yildirim – live results