Frankie Gavin has had to withdraw from his title fight against Dean Harrison this Saturday night at the Liverpool Echo Arena because of flu, but sensational big-punching heavyweight Larry Olubamiwo has been added to the card in a title fight to replace him.
Birmingham star Gavin was due to meet Wolverhampton’s Harrison for the Vacant WBO Intercontinental Light-Welterweight title, but came down with the flu last week and has been unable to train and regain full fitness..
Gavin said, “I’m devastated to have to pull out as it was so close to my fight with only a few days left. I wanted to fight on, but I took advice from the doctor, Arnie and my promoter Frank Warren and it was decided that I should not take the risk. I’m sorry for my fans and for Harrison and I hope we can get it on next year at the earliest opportunity.”
Hackney’s Olubamiwo will take on Samir Kurtagic for the Vacant International Masters Heavyweight Championship, ensuring Frank Warren’s huge 30th Anniversary show – titled The Return of the Magnificent Seven – still features seven big title fights including: Nathan Cleverly’s challenge for the Interim WBO World Light Heavyweight title; Matthew Macklin defending his European Middleweight title; Kell Brook defending his WBO Intercontinental Welterweight title, the highly-anticipated domestic showdown between Paul Smith and James DeGale for the British Super-Middleweight title, and Tony Bellew’s Commonwealth Light-Heavyweight title defence.
Know as the ‘War Machine’, Olubamiwo is one of the hardest hitters in Britain with eight knockouts coming inside two rounds from his nine wins. This will be his first fight under Warren after signing promotional terms. He was recently in America training with top trainer Freddie Roach.
Warren said, “Unfortunately Frankie has come down with the flu, his health is paramount and if he’s not 100 percent fit to fight then I won’t let him. I will look to get Frankie out in the New Year against Harrison. I’m looking forward to Larry making his debut on my show, he certainly carries a big punch in both hands and I’ll be looking to push him hard next year. It’s a great night of boxing in Liverpool and on two other continents with Dereck Chisora challenging Wladimir Klitschko for the World Heavyweight titles and Amir Khan defending his title against Marcos Maidana, all live on Sky Box Office.”
Latest Boxing News
- Mikaela Mayer faces Ewa Brodnicka on Inoue vs. Moloney card on Oct.31
- Murat Gassiev Vs. Kevin Johnson On October 31?
- Dereck Chisora Says He’s “Stronger” Than Joshua, Fury, Whyte, Wilder
- Can Cruiserweight King Mairis Briedis Make It As A Heavyweight?
- Terence Crawford Turns 33 – At 36-0, “Bud” Still In Need Of His Defining Fight
- Kenny Norton: The Fighter Muhammad Ali Was Never Able To Master
- WBSS Champ Mairis Briedis returns to Latvia with the Ali Trophy
- “Irish” Micky Ward: One of boxing’s most beloved ring warriors
- Pablo Valdez keen on ring return, reflects on COVID’s effect on his career
- 40 Years Ago Today: Marvin Hagler’s Brutal Coronation
From The Boxing Forums
- Terence Crawford versus Josh Taylor at 147
- The Charlo Bros are the real deal
- John Riel Casimero calls out Naoya Inoue “You’re no monster!”
- *** Kirks Championships *** | 2020 Boxing Prediction League
- How high out of 10 should a fighter with this record be rated?
- Santos Saúl Álvarez Barragán vs. Sergey Vyacheslavovich Derevyanchenko
- Jermall Charlo vs Derevyanchenko (how did you score it)
- (BREAKING) Mikey Garcia Confirms Manny Pacquiao Fight Is Next...
- Cruiserweight and Heavyweight thread.
- Lomachenko is getting up there in age
Latest Boxing Results:
- And The Nastiest KO Of The Night Award Goes To ….Filip Hrgovic!
- Casimero Retains WBO Bantam Title With Quick Win Over Micah – Boxing Results
- Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario in 8th round – Boxing Results
- Photos: Jermell Charlo KOs Jeison Rosario; Jermall Charlo defeats Derevyanchenko
- Jermall Charlo decisions Derevyanchenko – Boxing Results
- Josh Taylor Destroys Khongsong In A Round With Brutal Body Shot -Boxing Results
- Mairis Briedis wins the Ali Trophy After Enthralling Final – Boxing Results
- Photos: Taylor Blows Out Khongsong in 1 Round
- Mario Cazares Stuns Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. – Boxing Results
- Bohachuk Wins In Mexico; Reyes stops Rodriguez – Boxing Results