In a not entirely unexpected piece of news, George Groves will have his challenge to WBC 168 lb champion Badou Jack included on the Floyd Mayweather/Andre Berto undercard in Las Vegas on September 12th.
Groves will join the likes of British boxing legends Ricky Hatton and Joe Calzaghe in boxing in the esteemed “fight capital” of the world – an achievement bitter super middleweight rival Carl Froch never ticked off his bucket list before retirement.
The fight with Vegas based Swede Jack, will be the Hammersmith fighter’s 3rd crack at a world title after the two challenges to Froch ended in defeat in 2013 and 2014 respectively.
Groves has since boxed twice – wins over Frenchman Christopher Rebrasse and American “Momma’s Boy’ Denis Douglin, and is relishing the chance of dethroning Jack in his adopted hometown, training in preparation at Abel Sanchez’s “Summit” facility in Big Bear, CA;
“I have been fortunate enough to experience some of the greatest feelings the sport can give,” he said. “I have challenged for world titles and I have sold out stadiums, but my true childhood dream of winning a world title is yet to be fulfilled.
“I get that chance on the Las Vegas Strip – the crème de la crème for any fighter on the planet. I cannot wait to achieve my goal and become world champion. Badou Jack isn’t ’Bad’ enough to halt my dream. His WBC belt is all that is on my mind each and every waking moment. We have studied Jack – we are prepared for his strengths and ready to expose his weaknesses.”
“Money Team” member Jack, who upset the odds against Anthony Dirrell to win the belt earlier this year, said;
“I’m very excited and I’m preparing for the toughest fight of my career against George Groves. I always go into a fight with an underdog mentality, even as champion.
“It feels great to be defending in my adopted hometown of Las Vegas. My promoter, Floyd Mayweather, has had my back during the ups and downs of my career and I want to make him and the whole Mayweather Promotions team proud on September 12.”