Caleb Truax scores 4th round KO: Plus Full Recap from Minneapolis

09/22/2013 - By Chris Carlson - Comments

Caleb Truax hurt and finished local rival Cerresso Fort in the fourth round, quieting a talkative Fort in the early goings. With this victory Caleb keeps his position as a contender and will continue to climb the ladder of the middleweight division with the next step coming in January on Espn.

The main event between the now 22-1-1 (14KO) Caleb Truax and Cerresso Fort started slow with both fighters working behind their jabs. Fort made Caleb miss a few time early on making sure Truax knew it as he talked trash for most of the 1st round. In the second round Truax was able to land stiff jabs which opened up power shots to the head and body.

The third round featured a few exchanges with Truax’s straight right hands tipping the balance of the fight to his favor. Caleb came out with a stiff jab and landed a few flush overhand rights sending Cessero Fort off balanced across the ring. Trapping him on the ropes, Truax threw flurries of hooks and crosses with both hands that had Fort clearly in trouble. Fort hit the canvas hard, struggling to get to his feet, never able to regain his balance when the ref stepped in and stopped the fight in the fourth round.

Caleb Truax is due back in action in January, more than likely on Espn Friday Night Fights, in one of four options that Seconds Out Promotions C.E.O. Tony Grygelko has with the network.

In what was thought to be a tight fight in the eyes of fans and media ringside, boos rained down when the scorecards read 78-73, 77-74, 77-74 all for the still unbeaten Jamal James and now the new Minnesota State Welterweight Champion. James pump the jab throughout the fight but was knocked down in round 5, and may have been knocked down by an overhand right that was ruled a slip. James was busy on the outside while Mohammed Kayongo was winning the action on the inside with short compact power punches.

Tony Lee came out on top of yet another great fight with Jeremy McLaurin. Lee boxed well early behind the jab and followed it with straight rights to sweep the 1st three rounds. McLaurin fought his way back into the fight with punishing right hands to the body but was also getting hit with counter shots as he made his way in. In the 2nd round Lee landed a combination that sent McLaurin in to the ropes, scoring a knockdown, which helped Lee eke out a unanimous decision with the scorecards reading 77-74, 76-75, and 76-75.

Short uppercuts on the inside and combo hooks with both hands got Adrian Martinez of Milwaukee, off to an early lead in his fight with Trevor Marmon. Majority of the action took place in close counters and both fighters kept a great work rate. Martinez was landing flashy effective punches lining up straight right hands early in 3rd round but Trevor Marmon managed to close the gap. Marmon took advantage of Martinez, who started to arm punch and was clearly winded, closing the third round strong and carrying it over to the final round.
In what was a close fight with in the rounds, one judge scored it 39-37 for Martinez, with the other two judges seeing the fight a 38-38 draw. The crowd disagreed feeling it was Adrian Martinez who landing the bigger shots overall.

Fighting out of Coon Rapids, Nathan Richardson had to earn a tough technical knockout victory in his pro debut. In a fight that saw plenty of 2-way action both fighters suffered cuts and bruised after round one. In the fourth and final round, Richardson began to land some good shots to the body making Fred Thomas take a knee early and after a series of combination punching, eventually forcing the ref to stop the fight.

Also making his pro debut, Nathan Luis Rosa scored a 1st round technical knockout with thudding overhand rights that stuck Schimon in the corner. Unable to get out or hold Rosa landed one more solid right that had the referee trying to stop that action as Schimon went crashing to the canvas.

The night started with Phillip Adyaka landing several reaching right hands early backing up Brandon Buschholtz, who was making his pro debut, in rounds one and two. Adyaka landed lunging left hooks pushing his opponent into the ropes and controlling the pace to earn a unanimous decision.
The card was solid from top to bottom mixed with some local rivals and a rematch that fueled the fighters to put it all on the line. Over 4,000 fans were in attendance at the Minneapolis Convention Center and the card was promoted by Seconds Out Promotions.