LAS VEGAS (Aug. 4, 2015) – In what is expected to be the final fight of his illustrious 19-year career, boxing superstar and pound-for-pound king Floyd “Money” Mayweather (48-0, 26 KOs) will put his undefeated record and WBC and WBA Welterweight World Championships on the line against power-punching, two-time welterweight world champion Andre Berto (30-3, 23 KOs) Saturday, Sept. 12 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, live on SHOWTIME PPV (8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT).
With his purported upcoming fight against an undefeated ring legend who made more money per minute (6 million plus) in his last fight than most aspiring pugilists could ever hope to make for their entire career, 31 year old Andre Berto (30-3 23 KO) comes into his bout with 38 year old all time great Floyd “Money” Mayweather (48-0 26 KO) as perhaps the greatest underdog in the history of the sport.
And that’s definitely to take nothing away from Berto’s career accomplishments. Berto is a 3 time World Champion in the 147 Pound division, he has held the coveted WBC Welterweight title and defended it five times, against four former world champions in a span from 2008-2011 in which he was seen as a can’t miss future superstar of the division. Then along came another Mayweather opponent named Victor Ortiz who simply would not be denied his moment in the sun and shocked the world in early 2011 with a major upset of Berto for his world title.
In the sport of boxing, securing a bout against the PPV king Floyd Mayweather Jr., is an equivalent of winning the lottery. Not only does it elevate one’s stock so to say, but it most certainly guarantees a tremendous payday.
Sometimes the rivals crossing the ropes against Mayweather Jr. are those who had long been aiming and clawing their way to the top, just to get a crack at the undefeated boxing superstar. This isn’t always the case though, because other times, the champion surprises all with his unpredictable decision on who he decides to fight next.
It’s on … Floyd Mayweather is officially set to square off with Andre Berto in September … TMZ Sports has confirmed.
The two have been in talks for weeks … but now we’re told from both camps that it’s a done deal and the two will fight in Vegas on September 12th.
We spoke with Berto who tells us, “It’s a pleasure and honor to be in this position and I’m looking forward to capitalizing on every moment of it”.
As we previously reported, there’s some bad blood between the two — with Berto claiming Mayweather had been crank calling his phone … and he believes it was all over a woman.
While often enough rumors are only that, speculation, this time around it seems s that Floyd Mayweather Jr. actually meant what he said when the champion stated that his next fight will be either against Andre Berto or Karim Mayfield.
According to the SweetScience, sources have suggested that Andre Berto will be the lucky one crossing the ropes to face Mayweather Jr. on CBS in September.
When Floyd Mayweather said recently that he was considering Karim Mayfield and Andre Berto as potential opponents for September, many people didn’t take him too seriously.
“Surely not?” was the natural response, yet it’s now starting to look like increasingly likely that the Florida man will indeed be getting the call, with a strong rumour emerging that the fight will take place on September 15, a Tuesday, on CBS, as part of Floyd’s “final” fight of his contract with Showtime, who are part of the CBS corporation.
If this is indeed true, then someone should direct Amir Khan to the nearest tall building as he’ll surely wish to throw himself off of it, having already tweeted his support regardless.