WBA World Heavyweight Championship PPV on September 29 in Germany – Charr vows to knock out Oquendo, wants Joshua next. On September 29th, WBA World Heavyweight Champion Manuel Charr defends … Read more
WBA #2 rated heavyweight contender Alexander Ustinov and #4 Manuel Charr met for a press conference in Cologne, Germany, today to announce their fight on November 25th at 10,000 seat Koenig-Pilsener-Arena in Oberhausen, Germany.
Charr will return to action after having hip replacement surgery in May. In his last fight in September 2016, the “Diamond Boy“ dominated previously unbeaten Sefer Seferi to win the WBA International Championship. Ustinov had his last fight in May 2017 in England when he annihilated Brazilian journeyman Raphael Zumbrano Love in one round.
When “Diamond Boy” Manuel Charr and former WBA world heavyweight champion Alexander Povetkin step into the ring at Luzhniki Arena in Moscow (Russia) tonight (live on live.360fights.com / broadcast starts at noon EST / 6pm Central European Time) they will not only fight for the WBC international championship. According to Manuel Charr the fight will also be dedicated to the peace process in Syria.
“I respect Alexander Povetkin. He is a likable guy and a great champion. We will not only fight against each other in the ring – we also fight together for peace in the world and especially in Syria”, says Charr. “It is an honor to fight for the WBC international championship because the WBC has always supported the ‘Fight for Peace’ all around the world. And I know that WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman is expecially concerned about the Middle East – just like his father Don José has always been.”
This Friday (May 30th) former WBA heavyweight champion Alexander Povetkin takes on former world title contender Manuel Charr for the vacant WBC international heavyweight championship at Luzhniki-Arena in Moscow. It will be Povetkin’s first fight since his sole career loss to supreme unified titlist Wladimir Klitschko last October. Both men know each other very well from their time as training partners when they were both under contract with German promoter powerhouse Sauerland Event.
When they met for the first time in years at the official press conference in Moscow, both Charr and Povetkin showed great respect for their opponent. At the same time both men are very confident that they will win the heavyweight clash on Friday night. “Alexander Povetkin will not stop me on my way to become heavyweight champion of the world”, said “Diamond Boy” Manuel Charr. “I want to thank him, his team and especially promoter Andrey Rabinsky for making this special fight possible. Not many guys have the guts to fight me. Povetkin doesn’t look scared right now – but he will regret inviting me to Moscow. I will beat him and continue my way to the top of the division.”
“Diamond Boy” Manuel Charr is heading to Moscow again to face former world champion Alexander Povetkin on May 30th for the WBC international heavyweight championship. “This will be an awesome fight”, says Charr. “I am very proud that I got invited to fight Povetkin and reached an agreement with his handlers. This is my big chance to get in line for another world title shot. The winner will move up the WBC ratings to a top position. And one thing I know for sure: If I can beat Povetkin in Moscow, I can and will definitely go on to do what I promised Don José Sulaiman years ago: I will become heavyweight champion of the world!”
WBC #6 rated heavyweight contender Manuel Charr scored a ten round unanimous decision win over former world title challenger Kevin Johnson on Saturday night in front of 5,000 fans at Telekom Dome in Bonn, Germany. Both guys had their moments in a good action fight. Charr was the more aggressive fighter who kept on coming forward while Johnson landed a couple of decent jabs and counter punches.