Joe Diaz, the manager and trainer of former world champion and Mexican knockout king “Yori Boy” Campas who has fought in 12 world title fights against the superstars of the sport including Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad and Fernando Vargas just to name a few and boasts 79 knockouts from 100 wins as a professional, has sent a strong message to Australian world champion Les “Lock N Load” Sherrington ahead of their clash at the Gold Coast convention and exhibition center on July 28.
Brendon Smith, the trainer of Sherrington, received the email early this morning saying “Dear Brendon, tell Les to eat plenty of kangaroo meat so he can jump around the ring and not to get too close to Campus or it will be sleep time for Les.”
The tension between the two before the highly anticipated clash is starting to build as Sherrington responded saying “Kangaroo meat is already part of my diet”.
“See what the Mexicans don’t understand is that kangaroos are tough and smart and are renowned for fighting off the best pig dogs, taking them to the water and drowning them. There is a reason they have the nickname boxing kangaroos”.
While “Yori Boy” is by far Sherrington’s toughest and most credentialed opponent, his style hasn’t changed.
“I have great respect for “Yori Boy” but I have stepped into the ring with many big punchers like Shannon Taylor and Nader Hamden and while “Yori Boy” has a wealth more experience and danger then them fighters, my style hasn’t changed. I won’t be running from Campas.”
The fight is scheduled to take place on the “Resurrection” fight night on July 28 at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition center.
The undercard will also feature undefeated Irish star Dennis Hogan taking on tough Philippine fighter Arnel Tinampay. As well rising Australian star “The Great White” Brayd Smith will step in to the ring against experienced Thai fighter Yong Sathong, along with other great fights which will be announced over the next week.
Tickets are available from Ticketek at $20 for children and $37 for adults.
UPDATED RUNNING ORDER: MORRISON PROMOTIONS, KELVIN HALL, GLASGOW, FRIDAY 29th JUNE
CURRENT RUNNING ORDER
BOXING COMMENCES 6:30 PM
1. SAMMY HILL v MARK McKRAY, 4 x 3 Minute Rounds Light-Welterweight Contest
2. HUGH GRAY v BILLY SMITH, 4 x 3 Minute Rounds Light-Welterweight Contest
3. RYAN COLLINS v DAN NAYLOR, 4 x 3 Minute Rounds Super-Featherweight Contest
4. MICHAEL ROBERTS v ZSOLT NAGY, 4 x 3 Minute Rounds Super-Featherweight Contest
5. GARY McMILLAN v KEVIN McCAULEY, 6 x 3 Minute Rounds Light-Middleweight Contest
6. STEPHEN SIMMONS v TBA, 6 x 3 Minute Rounds Cruiserweight Contest
7. JOHN THAIN v TONY RANDALL, 6 x 3 Minute Rounds Light-Middleweight Contest
8. SCOTT HARRISON v MIZSEI GYÖRGY JR, 10 x 3 Minute Rounds for the Vacant International Masters Lightweight Championship
9. PAUL APPLEBY (Champion) v JOHN SIMPSON (Challenger), 10 x 3 Minute Rounds for the Celtic Super-Featherweight Championship
10. JONATHAN SLOWEY v ELEMIR RAFAEL, 4 x 3 Minute Rounds Featherweight Contest