During last month’s Hall of Fame Induction Weekend festivities (June 11-14th) former light middleweight and middleweight champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez formally announced his retirement from the sport of boxing.
“Sergio Martinez was the first active boxer to announce his retirement at the International Boxing Hall of Fame,” said Hall of Fame director Edward Brophy. “We were thrilled that he chose the Induction Weekend to make such an important announcement in his career.”
At the Banquet of Champions on Saturday, June 13th, Martinez, joined by his promoter Lou DiBella, long-time advisor Sampson Lewkowicz, business partner Miguel De Pablos and translated by Nathan Lewkowicz, made it official and announced his retirement from the “sweet science.”
“Thanks to the family of this marvelous sport. I want to thank all of my fans around the world. I am thanking them here at the International Boxing Hall of Fame because I am officially retiring from boxing after 20 years as a boxer. It is time to step aside and continue on to new horizons. Here I retire. Thank you so very much and to victory always,” said Martinez.
The fighting pride of Buenos Aires, Argentina, Martinez turned pro in 1997. “Maravilla” is a two-division world champion. He reigned as WBC light middleweight champion (2009-2010) and WBC (2010-2011, 2012-2014), WBO (2010) and The Ring middleweight champion. The charismatic pugilist compiled a pro record of 51-3-2 (28 KOs) that includes wins over Kelly Pavlik, Alex Bunema, Paul Williams, Darren Barker, Matthew Macklin, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Martin Murray.
Martinez recently reflected on his decision to announce his retirement in Canastota last month.
“I am very proud of my career and do not regret retiring from the sport and enjoying my life after boxing. It was a very emotional decision and I was very happy to make the announcement in Canastota. I hope one day to join great Argentineans Carlos Monzon, Pascual Perez, Victor Galindez, Nicolino Locche, Amilcar Brusa and Tito Lectoure in the Hall of Fame.”