The World Boxing Organization held day one of its 25th annual convention on Tuesday at the Seminole Hard Rock Casino in Hollywood, Florida. Among the many subjects on their agenda, the WBO presented fighter of the year recognition awards to their regional champions. Amongst the acknowledged was WBO Latino Super Featherweight Champion Juan Carlos Burgos & WBO Inter-Continental champion Ruslan Provodnikov.
The Mexican native, Burgos (30-1, 20 KOs), wont the WBO Latino Fighter of the Yet and is the mandatory challenger to the title at 130 currently held by Puerto Rican Roman “Rocky” Martinez (26-1-1, 13 KOs).
Said Burgos, “I am extremely humbled and proud to receive this award. Having dedicated my life to the sport, it means so much to me. I have always and will continue to give my very best in the ring.”
Said Provodnikov (22-1, 15 KO’s) of Russia, ““Its an honor to be recognized by the WBO and I look forward to big fight coming up in the near future””
Provodnikov won the WBO Inter-Continental Fighter of the Year.
Burgos has had a stellar run in WBO Latino championship bouts by defeating two undefeated fighters in Luis Cruz (19-0) and Cesar Vazquez (25-0) within the last year.
Provodnikov, who is now ranked number-two is in line to fight for the world championship especially since number-one contender Mike Alvarado was just stopped and champion Juan Manuel Marquez will be moving up in weight for his fourth encounter with Manny Pacquiao on December 8th.
Like Burgos, Provodnikov has been perfect in his two WBO mandated bouts as he stopped David Torres in six and Jose Reynoso in two rounds this past June 29th.
Said Banner Promotions CEO Artie Pelullo, “Ruslan and Juan Carlos are deserving of these accolades and the best has yet to come as in the next several months they will both be fighting and winning world titles”
TICKET ALERT!!!!! “ROCKIN’ FIGHTS 5” AT THE PARAMOUNT, SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 17 CHRIS ALGIERI VS. DANIEL SOSTRE HEADLINES
With the first four shows in the Star Boxing “ROCKIN’ FIGHTS” series at The Paramount selling out, advance tickets are now on sale as “The Fighting Pride of Huntington” Chris Algieri returns to action on Saturday, NOVEMBER 17 against junior welterweight Daniel “The Hudson Valley Kid” Sostre of Highland, New York.
Advance tickets for “ROCKIN FIGHTS 5”, priced at $50 and $100, are available through Ticketmaster,
/000049599E3A818C (www.Ticketmaster.com, 800-745-3000) or through The Paramount Box Office, (631) 673-7300. or direct link to
Special VIP/Red Carpet Seating priced at $125, along with advance tickets are also available by calling Star Boxing at (718) 823-2000 or on their website www.StarBoxing.com. Doors on the evening of the event will open at 7PM with the first bell at 7:30PM.
“We’re thrilled to return to The Paramount in Huntington with “ROCKIN’ FIGHTS 5″. The first four shows in this series have sold out and I would strongly encourage fight fans to purchase their tickets in advance” said DeGuardia.
“Algieri has continued to improve and we’re anticipating an action packed main event between him and the battle tested Sostre. Additionally, we will announce a terrific undercard shortly complimenting this main event.”
With an undefeated record of 15-0-0 with seven stoppages, the 28-year-old pre-med student Algieri will be making the fourth start of 2012. Most recently, he skillfully boxed to an eight round unanimous decision over tough Texas veteran Raul Tovar on JULY 28 at The Paramount.
A native of Vega Baja, Puerto Rico and also 28-years-old, Sostre has compiled a record of 11-7-1 (4KO’s), over his seven year pro career.
On SEPTEMBER 15, Sostre traveled to Las Vegas, Nevada to challenge highly touted and undefeated West Coast based prospect Wale Omotoso at The Thomas and Mack Center on the undercard of the World Middleweight Championship between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Sergio Martinez. Battling over eight action packed rounds, Sostre lost a hard fought decision.
Among the other well regarded prospects Sostre has clashed with are Danny O’Connor, Raymond Serrano, Gabriel Bracero and Mike Ruiz.
The Paramount is located at 370 New York Avenue, Huntington, New York, 11743. For directions and more information, please visit their website at www.paramountny.com
ABOUT STAR BOXING:
Star Boxing Inc. is celebrating its 20th Anniversary in 2012. Star Boxing has worked to produce some of the most exciting and memorable boxing events in recent history. Star has continued to work with and develop a number of very exciting world champions, world rated contenders and young prospects. Star has consistently brought credibility, integrity, and exciting fights to the boxing industry. For more information on Star Boxing, visit their official website at www.StarBoxing.com and follow them on Twitter @ Star Boxing and Facebook at Star Boxing.
Very warm welcome for Hamid Rahimi and his team in Kabul
“Peacefighter” Hamid Rahimi and his team were enthusiastically welcomed by the Afghan boxing fans in Kabul after arriving fort he October 30th “Fight 4 Peace” event which will feature a 12 round middleweight title fight between local hero Rahimi and Said Mbelwa from Tanzania. Rahimi has already been invited by the National Olympic Committee and several other NGOs, held a first press conference and gave several TV interviews. Tomorrow the middleweight contender will be welcomed by President Hamid Karsai.
“I am so proud to be back in my country and to set a sign for peace and freedom”, said Rahimi. “This truely feels like making history. I want to thank all the people who helped me to make my dream of the “Fight 4 Peace” come true. I am simply overwhelmed by the positive reaction and the warm welcome we received when arriving in Kabul. I am sure that this will be a fantastic event and we will do all we can to change the perception of Afghanistan here in the country and all around the world.”
The World Boxing Organisation (WBO) honoured Rahimi and his project and confirmed its full support at their Annual Convention which is currently held in Miami, Florida. President Francisco Valcarcel agreed to sanction the “Fight 4 Peace” as WBO Intercontinental “Peace” Championship.
“Our next project is to go wherever war is”, said championship chairman Luis Batista Salas at the Opening Ceremony of the WBO Convention according to fightnews.com. “To go where there is less understanding. To show peace is better than war. To give some kind of hope. Some kind of discipline. In Afghanistan it has been dominated by misery and violence. They have been fighting for the last 30 years. 1.5 million were killed during Russian invasion. In 1996 the Taliban came to power. We have initiated a program to go to Afghanistan and give what we can offer. ”
Vice President John Duggan added that “the opportunity presented itself to the WBO to host a fight on October 30th 2012. The concept of this event is to have one day of sport and one day of peace, we are hoping it will contribute to rebuilding their civilization. We are happy to be involved in this. We hope to do more events in similar situations.”
Contact details: Christof Hawerkamp, Tel.: +49-171-6429717, firstname.lastname@example.org oder email@example.com