Promoter Dmitriy Salita proudly announces his latest installment of “Detroit Brawl,” Saturday night at the Masonic Temple, was a tremendous success, helping him donate over 3000 meals to Forgotten Harvest, one of the nation’s largest food rescue organizations.
In the night’s main event, WBO #5, IBF #5, and WBC #7 and current NABF heavyweight champion, Andy “The Destroyer from Mexicali” Ruiz (28-0, 19 KOs), stayed unbeaten and showed off some fast, powerful fists, as he stopped Miami’s Josh “Dempsey” Gormley at 1:42 of the third round.
In other action, super lightweight Girorgi Gelashvili (5-0, 3 KOs) survived an early knockdown to stop Eric Hall (8-10-1, 4 KOs) of Durand, Michigan, in four rounds; cruiserweight Demetrius Banks (8-0, 4 KOs) of Detroit dropped Eric George (4-12) of Niagara Falls in the first round, but ended up having to settle for a unanimous six-round decision victory; super bantamweight Zach Shamoun (4-0-1, 3 KOs) of Royal Oak, Michigan, took a four-round unanimous decision over Jose Elizondo (1-1) of San Antonio, Texas; welterweight Sedar Hudayberdiyev (3-0, 2 KOs) of Turkmenistan won an entertaining four-round unanimous decision over formerly undefeated Steven Andrade (3-1, 2 KOs) of Atlanta Georgia; Detroit bantamweight Jarico O’Quinn (2-0, 2 KOs) was impressive in stopping Sergio Aguliar (0-4) of Miami Beach in three rounds; and lastly, Dearborn welterweight Gheith “Southpaw Prince” Karim made his pro debut a successful one by stopping Dean Walsh, Jr., in the first round.
Salita, who donated a portion of every ticket sold to Forgotten Harvest, says the event’s success went a lot further than the boxing ring that night.
“When we started these events, the goal was not only to bring a regular professional boxing program back to Detroit, but also to give back to this wonderful city and I’m happy to say we’re doing it,” said Salita. “I couldn’t be more proud. Thank you to the fans who came out that night and to my wonderful sponsor, Thomas Magee’s. Thank you to my entire team and to all the fighters for their brave efforts. Thank you to the team at the Masonic and to all the big-name Detroit fighters who showed up in support of the event. We will be doing it again soon.”
Based in Oak Park, Michigan, Forgotten Harvest was formed in 1990 to relieve hunger and prevent food waste throughout the metro Detroit area. Forgotten Harvest “rescued” over 40 million pounds of food last year by collecting surplus prepared and perishable food from over 800 locations, including grocery stores, fruit and vegetable markets, restaurants, caterers, dairies, farmers, wholesale food distributors and other Health Department-approved sources.
This donated food, which would otherwise go to waste, is delivered free of-charge to 280 emergency food providers in the metro Detroit area. Forgotten Harvest has been ranked as a four-star charity by Charity Navigator for nine consecutive years.
Learn more about Forgotten Harvest and how to help drive hunger from our community at www.forgottenharvest.org.