Sherman Oaks, CA (Feb. 4, 2014) Recently signed former world title challenger Vanes ‘The Nightmare” Martirosyan will head back home to fight in front of his hometown fans on Friday, March 21 in a 10-round super welterweight clash against upset minded Argentinian veteran Luciano Cuello in the main event of ESPN Friday Night Fights presented by Corona Extra at Morongo Casino Resort & Spa in Cabazon, California, it was announced today by Goossen Tutor Promotions.
Tickets priced at $35 and $55 for “Goossen Tutor Promotions and Morongo Casino Resort & Spa Presents ESPN Friday Night Fights and presented by Corona Extra” can be purchased at the Morongo Box Office, by phone 951-755-5391, or through Ticketmaster.
“Vanes said he’s ready to go and we’re wasting no time,” said Dan Goossen, President and Founder of Goossen Tutor Promotions of his charge. “We’re excited to give boxing fans in Southern California and those watching on ESPN an opportunity to see Vanes come ‘Homeward Bound’ at Morongo against a very tough and experienced fighter in Cuello. There is a lot to gain for both fighters which always brings out the absolute best in them,” said Goossen.
“We’re also very thrilled to work with the terrific team at ESPN Friday Night Fights on this event and the outstanding staff at the beautiful Morongo Casino Resort & Spa. With Vanes’ popularity in the Southern California area and the venue being only an hour from downtown Los Angeles along with the fan friendly ticket prices, we expect a sell-out crowd in what will only be the second time Vanes has fought in California in the past five years.”
“We are looking forward to the great boxing event Goossen Tutor Promotions is bringing to Morongo Casino Resort and Spa on March 21, 2014,” said Bruce McClure Executive Director of Casino Operations.
Just 27-years-old, the Armenian born Martirosyan, 32-1-1 (20 KO’s), a native of Glendale, California, is returning to action following his WBO Junior Middleweight Title challenge against undefeated top rated contender Demetrius Andrade on November 9 of last year. Despite dropping Andrade for the first time in his career in the first round, the hard-hitting 2004 US Olympian lost a very competitive 12-round split-decision in a bout telecast on HBO.
On November 10, 2012 in Las Vegas, Martirosyan squared off with top rated contender Erislandy Lara in a WBC Super Welterweight Elimination bout. After eight evenly fought rounds Martirosyan suffered a bad cut from an accidental head-butt and the bout was declared a technical draw.
Sporting a record of 33-3-0 (17 KO’s), the 29-year-old Cuello is coming off a fourth round stoppage of Juan Jose Dias in La Plata, Argentina on November 22, 2013.
Prior to the knockout of Dias, Cuello battled highly regarded contender Willie Nelson on June 29, 2013 over ten rounds. Telecast on HBO, Cuello beat Nelson to the punch throughout their back-and-forth bout seemingly winning the fight. However, the three judges awarded the contest to Nelson.
Cuello’s only other two losses were to former world champions, Saul “Canelo” Alverez and a very questionable loss to the then-undefeated Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in Mexico.
“This fight promises the type of all-action affair that Friday Night Fights is known for. Martirosyan may come in as the favorite, but fans who remember Cuello’s fight last year with Nelson know that he will have his hands full with this one,” said Brian Kweder, Senior Director, Programming & Acquisitions.
The March 21 event will be in held in the Morongo Ballroom, which is located at 49500 Seminole Dr. in Cabazon, California just off Interstate 10. Doors on the night of the event will open at 3:30 p.m. PT with the first bell at 4:30 p.m. PT. The show will air live at 9:00 p.m. ET on ESPN2, broadband Spanish-language ESPN Deportes’ Noche de Combates and also available via the WatchESPN app. The Martirosyan-Cuello Bout is promoted in association with DiBella Entertainment.
A full undercard of great fights featuring numerous Southern California prospects will be announced shortly.