IBF cruiserweight champion Yoan Pablo Hernandez (29-1, 14 KOs) successfully defended his title tonight in defeating 43-year-old former WBA cruiserweight champion Firat Arslan (34-8-2, 21 KOs) by a 12 round split decision at the Messehalle, Erfurt, Thüringen, Germany. The final judges’ scores were 115-113, 116-113 for Hernandez and 115-113 for Arslan.
Later tonight, IBF cruiserweight champion Yoan Pablo Hernandez (28-1, 14 KOs) will be defending his title against 43-year-old fringe contender Firat Arslan (34-7-2, 21 KOs) at the Messehalle, Erfurt, Thüringen, Germany.
Marco Huck successfully defended his WBO Cruiserweight championship for the twelfth time Stuttgart, Germany in front of a raucous crowd. The fight was a rematch of their November 2012 fight which ended in a very controversial unanimous decision that went Huck’s way despite Firat Arslan dominating the fight and beating Huck clearly. Arslan drove Huck to the ropes and attacked constantly in every round and Huck could not keep him away and his heavy hands could not hurt Arslan. Going into the rematch Huck was forced to make the adjustments in there as Arslan was going to and did storm forward the whole fight. For Arslan the questions surrounded his age and if he could do it again and if he did would the judges give him a decision. Early on it was clear that Arslan had the crowd on its side and it was also clear that this was going to be a good fight.
LONDON (Jan. 24) – Arguably the two most rugged operators in the cruiserweight division renew acquaintance this Saturday when WBO king Marco ‘Kapt’n’ Huck and veteran nemesis Firat Arslan collide at the Hanns Martin Schleyer Halle in Stuttgart.
Their initial ‘bang up’ in November 2012 was a truly brutal affair and, though Huck retained by unanimous decision, several felt the 43 year old Turkish descendant was hard done by.
On January 25th, WBO cruiserweight champion Marco Huck (36-2-1, 25 KO’s) will be facing Firat Arslan (33-6-2, 21 KO’s) in a rematch at the Hanns-Martin Schleyer Halle, in Stuttgart, Germany. Arslan gave Huck a beating less than 2 years ago in losing a 12 round unanimous decision in a fight that most people felt that Arslan had done enough to deserve a victory.
The three judges that scored the fight saw it different, giving Huck the win by the scores of 115-113, 115-113, 117-111. Huck was pummeled the entire fight, and it’s difficult to figure out what the judges saw in him to give him the victory. Huck just looked like a confused and beaten fighter throughout the fight.
There is some unfinished business between Marco Huck (36-2-1, 25 KOs) and Firat Arslan (33-6-2, 21 KOs). On November 3 of last year the two fighters squared off at the Gerry Weber Stadion in Halle/Westphalia, Germany, for the WBO Cruiserweight World Championship. Back then Huck won a close decision on points. However, Arslan saw himself ahead after the full twelve rounds.
“In our mind, this battle is a question of honor,” said Chris Meyer, Managing Director of Sauerland Event during Thursday’s press conference. “Both boxers saw themselves as the winner. But there is an easy way to end this debate, a rematch. That way Huck as well as Arslan now have the opportunity to prove who deserves to be called world champion.”
By Dwight Chittenden: Right now 42-year-old #8 WBO Firat Arslan (32-6-2, 21 KO’s) is feeling really upset about being on the losing end of a controversial 12 round unanimous decision against WBO cruiserweight champion Marco Huck (35-2-1, 25 KO’s) last night at the Gerry Weber Stadium, Halle, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany.
Arslan fought well, landed the better punches in the fight, and had the crowd firmly behind him from start to finish. However, instead of being given the decision, Arslan was handed a nice big loss for all his trouble with the judges giving the frequently lucky Huck the win by the scores of 115-113, 115-113 and 117-111.
Arslan said this moments after the fight had ended “I’ve seldom landed so many clean punches and the only scuffed me. How can such a thing happen? I landed so many punches. I think the whole crowd believes I’m the winner. I’ve been robbed of my win. I would have been the new world champion today. I would have written history.”
By Kevin Chittenden: Making his 10th defense of his World Boxing Organization cruiserweight title champion Marco Huck (35-2-1, 25 KO’s) took a real beating from challenger Firat Arslan (32-6-2, 21 KO’s) in successfully defending his belt by a 12 round unanimous decision tonight at the at the Gerry Weber Stadium, Halle, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany. The judges scored it 115-113, 115-113, 117-111(!).
However, the decision was met with boos from the large crowd, many of which thought that the 42-year-old Arslan had done more than enough to deserve the decision. It’s hard to argue with that because Arslan landed the cleaner punches in virtually every round of the fight. He was snapping Huck’s head with uppercuts and had his nose swollen up and looking broken. Huck’s face was red from the many shots he absorbed in the fight.
Huck did throw a lot more punches but many of them were picked off on the gloves of Arslan, and the ones that did land had no affect on him. Arslan was never hurt and wasn’t slowed down in the least by Huck’s constant shots.