Lou DiBella's 7 Resolutions For 2007
31.12.06 - By Michael Marley, BoxingConfidential.com: To say that Lou DiBella is loud is to say that Maria Sharapova is sexy. Lou often reminds me of the line about the guy who learned to whisper in a saw mill. If I was a National League home plate umpire at Shea Stadium, I would bring earplugs to block out DB's screaming from his VIP behind the backstop seats. The way Lou sees it, no one on the Mets ever strikes out. They're always victims of blind umps. But there are times, loud or in a conversational tone, when the Harvard man via Brooklyn makes sense. Like today, when I asked Luigi for his Fistic Resolutons For 2007, this was one of those times..
Article posted on 01.01.2007
Here's what the former HBO boxing chief has in his hopes and his mind for the New Year:
1. Taylor's time. "For Jermain Taylor, three fights and three victories." Do I think this will include Winky Wright? "Not really, but if it does, it does. No one out there will beat Jermain."
2. Resurgence." Boxing is on the ropes, yeah, but we can have a resurgence and start working together more. I hope we (he boxing industry) uses the Mayweather-De La Hoya fight as a centerpiece for this resurgence because it can happen."
3. Hands Up, Not handouts." In our sport, we need to help our own guys. We need to give a boost to a (homeless) Keith Mullings or a (racked up with financial problems, including huge medical bills) Johnny Bos. We should not look to outsiders to help our own kind."
4. Champions to be."I'm not worried about Jermain Taylor, he's a proven commodity. What I'd personally like to see is Paulie Malignaggi, Sechew Powell and Andre Berto keep rising, keep moving towards being world champions. I figure Berto by the end of '07 will either be getting a title shot or will at least be the top contender."
5. New York sizzles. "I want to see Broadway Boxing keep growing and growing like it has been. I want to see Edgar Santana, Jason Codrington, Curtis Stevens and the other guys get some good TV fight opportunities. Codrington just needs a second chance. ( Editor's note: DiBella has a crew of 1L, meaning one loss guys including Malignaggi, Codrington, Powell and Stevens.)
6. Rival fight club shows prosper. "I'm not only rooting for myself in New York. If you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere. It is so important for boxing to be vibrant and successful in New York. That is why I'm rooting for all the other guys who do shows around here also. I am rooting for (Bob) Duffy, for Cedric (Kushner) and for Sal (Musumeci) and anyone else who helps grow our sport around New York."
7. Baseball "Need I state the obvious? My Mets win the World Series and the minor league team I own, Connecticut Defenders, also goes all the way."
(email@example.com Did you know that HBO's Kery Davis is also a discerning Mets fan. So is Mr. Bos. Please be advised the Metropolitans are Marley's backup team if his beloved Bosox falter. Do not mention Bucker around Marley, please.. although we should not forget that Billy B was one helluva Cubbie in his Chitown years.)
previous article: Lennox Lewis vs. Ike Ibeabuchi: Dream Fight
next article: Boxer Kemal Kolenovic - Killed In Attempting To Stop Fight Outside NYC Bar